997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

DIY On Porsche OEM Satellite Radio Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 07:55 PM
jurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond repute
thanks

I can't make use of the download program that was required to view the document. It would be nice to have though.....

Old 02-20-2011, 08:21 PM
Brian GTS is on a distinguished road
Nice...thanks for the info!

Old 02-20-2011, 09:41 PM
Musclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jurnes
thanks

I can't make use of the download program that was required to view the document. It would be nice to have though.....
PM me with an email addr and I'll send you a copy of the doc (in Adobe PDF format)

Old 02-22-2011, 08:27 AM
Z356 has a spectacular aura aboutZ356 has a spectacular aura about
Musclehedz101: As you know I have a MY2007 997.1. It has 2.1 PCM, but no Nav & no CD Changer.

A) Re:Your note: "Were you not able to open the last attachment I sent? It was in adobe and had pictures in the doc."

Correct, I was not able to open document except for what I send you (just text). I tried to update the Adobe software you recommended in this thread (link you provided earlier)

http://get.adobe.com/reader/?promoid=BUIGO

but that didn't do it. Let me know if there is any other way to bring up the photos up so that I can show my installer photo by photo how you did it. Thanks.

B) I talked to Ric Knab at Suncoast yesterday. Here are the items I can order from him using the PCNA's 20% off eCoupon:

Harness 95504480081 - $26.21
SIRIUS Unit 95564528002 - $313.58

Ric Knab doesn't know if the harness has been changed or updated. All he knows is that this harness part # (.81) you told me about which you think will work for non-CD Changer PCM can still be ordered from Porsche. I quote from your email below:

"I believe there is a "Non-CDC" equivalent part number to the one I used was Part # 955.044.900.81 but check with dealer as I think part number has been updated."

Given that I don't have factory CD changer, think about this and let me know if you think this is the right harness to order after all. And after I get this .81 harness, where do you think it will attach to the MOST in the 911? Any assistance you can give me (and my installer, via me) on this subject will be greatly appreciated. I am not goingto do Dension Bluetooth or IPod retrofits at this time (perhaps never), so this should be a very simple set-up!

C) I now need to order these other parts, according to you DIY instructions:

Single to Dual Sirius Ant Adapter
http://www.tss-radio.com/products/si...ntenna-adapter
Sirius Ant
There are many out there but this is one I chose: http://www.tss-radio.com/products/br...nna-for-sirius

Are these the other parts you still recommend re: Sirius Antenna? Or have you found something better since you did your installation?

Thanks again for all of your assistance.

Regards,
Ed Venegas (z356) Carmel

Last edited by Z356; 02-22-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:08 PM
Musclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Z356
Musclehedz101: As you know I have a MY2007 997.1. It has 2.1 PCM, but no Nav & no CD Changer.

A) Re:Your note: "Were you not able to open the last attachment I sent? It was in adobe and had pictures in the doc."

Correct, I was not able to open document except for what I send you (just text). I tried to update the Adobe software you recommended in this thread (link you provided earlier)

http://get.adobe.com/reader/?promoid=BUIGO

but that didn't do it. Let me know if there is any other way to bring up the photos up so that I can show my installer photo by photo how you did it. Thanks.

B) I talked to Ric Knab at Suncoast yesterday. Here are the items I can order from him using the PCNA's 20% off eCoupon:

Harness 95504480081 - $26.21
SIRIUS Unit 95564528002 - $313.58

Ric Knab doesn't know if the harness has been changed or updated. All he knows is that this harness part # (.81) you told me about which you think will work for non-CD Changer PCM can still be ordered from Porsche. I quote from your email below:

"I believe there is a "Non-CDC" equivalent part number to the one I used was Part # 955.044.900.81 but check with dealer as I think part number has been updated."

Given that I don't have factory CD changer, think about this and let me know if you think this is the right harness to order after all. And after I get this .81 harness, where do you think it will attach to the MOST in the 911? Any assistance you can give me (and my installer, via me) on this subject will be greatly appreciated. I am not goingto do Dension Bluetooth or IPod retrofits at this time (perhaps never), so this should be a very simple set-up!

C) I now need to order these other parts, according to you DIY instructions:

Single to Dual Sirius Ant Adapter
http://www.tss-radio.com/products/si...ntenna-adapter
Sirius Ant
There are many out there but this is one I chose: http://www.tss-radio.com/products/br...nna-for-sirius

Are these the other parts you still recommend re: Sirius Antenna? Or have you found something better since you did your installation?

Thanks again for all of your assistance.

Regards,
Ed Venegas (z356) Carmel
Hi Ed,

Let me try to answer in sequence you laid out.

A)The first copy of the doc I sent you was in MS Word 2010 format and the second copy of the doc I sent was in Adode PDF format. Others have been able to open doc (with pics) so not sure why you can't see them. I will try to save a copy of the doc in MS Word 2007 format and send it to you. You could also try opening attachments using Google docs if you are familiar. Other than that, sorry but I'm out of options.

B) First note that I opened my original response with "I believe..", simply because I don't have 1st hand experience with a 997.1 without a CDC. (As mine is only car I've worked on. I'm not a P-mechanic just a fellow P-enthusiast with an electronics background.) So I want to set expectations...

Ok, having said that do some search on 6speed & renntech.org forums for CDC installs and you might find pics on where the harness plugs into. Since I already had a CDC my harness simply "taps" off existing CDC leads to form a "Y" adapter.

I believe the connecting point for you will be as seen in this pic. (I'll send you the doc this came from as well.)

C) Those are still my recommendations and have been performing well.

Good luck, in the end you'll enjoy it.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Musclehedz101; 02-22-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:58 PM
Thank You David!

Musclehedz: Thank you so much for all your assistance! I got the document with the photos. So now I begin my SIRIUS Sat install journey in the 997.1 PCM 2.1 sans CD Changer. I'll let all know how it went when I get it finished.

By the way I called both SIRIUS and XM tonight. The SIRIUS lifetime subscription which I got on my '07 MB CL600 in 2009 for $399 is now $699 (plus royalties & taxes). Prices for XM are now the same as SIRIUS. Forces me to go on the 997.1 with a SIRIUS unit as a second 'subscription' for an existing customer at the 'bargain' price of $99 per year, plus $10 in music royalties, and then taxes. Otherwise, new subscribers to SIRIUS or XM will have to pay $142.45 (+royalties & taxes) per year for service. Good grief!

Best Regards, Ed (z356) Carmel

Old 07-06-2011, 11:52 PM
n6pvj is on a distinguished road
can't download the file

Rapidshare isn't cooperating with me, either. Could you please send me the file directly?

Thanks!

Old 07-07-2011, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by n6pvj
Rapidshare isn't cooperating with me, either. Could you please send me the file directly?

Thanks!
PM me with email address to send copy of doc to.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:01 PM
sirschwag will become famous soon enough
Was anyone able to confirm if part # 955.044.900.81 for non-cd changer works? Does it still supply power? Thanks!

Old 07-26-2012, 04:34 PM
bobolouie is on a distinguished road
I have a question about adding the new Gateway 500 with the OEM sat radio module in my 07 997 TT with PCM and No c/d changer.
It is not clear where to add what components in the MOST circle.
Here is the link to the Denison instruction manual - http://http://www.dension.com/sites/...tall_guide.pdf

Any advice would be welcome !

Old 07-29-2012, 06:39 PM
Just completed the Sirius module install myself this weekend and it works great! The instructions were spot on and it was a brilliant idea to use an aftermarket Sirius antenna and save some cash! Also, my car didn't require any dealer programming., I suspect this only needs to done if you don't have a NAV or cd changer- otherwise the loop is activated...

I'd like to also give a BIG thanks to Ryan & Ric at Suncoast for providing the parts , Ryan really went the extra mile and ordered the various wire harness options and sent me photos so I could determine what was needed for my application- thanks guys!

What I learned is the harness ending in .81 may only work if you don't have NAV AND no Changer., I don't have a CD changer, but do have NAV- so the harness mentioned worked great, basically Orange MOST unplugs from NAV and power taps into changer harness that was tucked into the L side of the car.., since I don't have a changer I could've gotten the harness ending in .66., this is the same harness- but doesn't have a "Y" adapter to power a changer., I just taped mine off...

Everything works great, however the placement of my antenna may need to be revisited as I seem to lose the signal when in tree-lined streets (more noticeable vs other cars I've had with satellite radio)., anyone else have this issue or find another place to put the antenna? Also, Tram bought Browning, so if you order from TSS radio, get the Tram for Sirius!

Last edited by sirschwag; 07-29-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by sirschwag
Everything works great, however the placement of my antenna may need to be revisited as I seem to lose the signal when in tree-lined streets (more noticeable vs other cars I've had with satellite radio)., anyone else have this issue or find another place to put the antenna?
Glad it worked out for you! We did have some initial reception issues on several of my cars (997 and 987) with Sirius or XM. We had to move it around to different places...but all underneath that outside plastic area near windshield wipers!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail and Carmel

Old 07-31-2012, 07:33 AM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
If keeping it under plastic cowl for aesthetic purposes, you need to make sure it's at least above top line of hood. Most just slap the antenna on a metal area at about same level as wiper motor which is not high enough. Instead, there is a pinch weld seam just below windshield which is ideal (it's really far up... just a smidge below top edge of plastic cowl).

Also, moving antenna more towards drivers side of vehicle will help. This way, tree lined street or not, it will be closest to center of roadway in most instances where it'll have the clearest "view" of sky.

Good luck

Old 10-29-2012, 11:11 AM
Z00mie is on a distinguished road
Musclehedz101,
First and foremost, thank you for this DIY! I have some questions though. I checked and found that the Porsche part no. for the XM/Sirius antenna are the same as the GPS (one does all 3). Why did you choose not to use the factory GPS antenna in your install? Also, you used an adaptor for the aftermarket antenna. Was it required because it is an afermarket antenna or does Porsche XM/Sirius use a different type plug to interface with the receiver? I really would like to forego the adaptor use and swap out my GPS antenna for the multi function one and have a closer to OEM install. Your thoughts? And, again thanks for the top notch DIY instructions!

Old 10-29-2012, 07:16 PM
I recently completed my install and had similar questions. I chose the aftermarket antenna & adapter (which is needed to go from 2 connectors on Sirius module to the 1 lead on the aftermarket antenna) mostly due to cost and ease of install. The oem GPS/Satellite combo retails for $180, the aftermarket & adapter is much cheaper. As far as install, the thin single cable of aftermarket antenna was much easier to pass through the rubber grommet from the fronk to the battery area (this was the most difficult part of the install IMO). It also allowed easier placement of antenna under the window cowl which I recently re-positioned more towards the center for better reception (see above posts). Since the oem GPS/Satellite combo antenna is a Cayenne part, it doesn't fit precisely as the existing (smaller) GPS antenna does. I am curious however if this antenna gets better reception vs aftermarket. There are a couple of DIY's for this on Renntech as well using all oem.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY On Porsche OEM Satellite Radio Install