997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

DIY On Porsche OEM Satellite Radio Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 08:38 AM
Z00mie is on a distinguished road
Sirshwag,
Thanks for the answers! A few more questions though! Have you had any problems with yours freezing or channels being updated etc? i read the entire 32 page SAT DIY thread over at Rennlist and a few people had issues with some glitches. Either way, I'm diving in. I ordered the XM receiver, harness, factory antenna and antenna cable today from Henry at Sonnen. Who knows, I may end up using an aftermarket antenna after all. I am really trying to avoid the splitter/adaptor thingy though. Also, I didn't order the Cayenne kit because it seemed to be somewhat more expensive and appeared to include things I wouldn't need. Honestly, 500+ bucks is a bunch of money for satellite radio considering all the cheap aftermarket options presently available. I just hate suction cups, double sided tape as mounting methods and minimal integration with factory equipment.

Last edited by Z00mie; 07-12-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:53 PM
sirschwag will become famous soon enough
No problem... Only issues I had was losing reception occasionally when driving on heavily tree-lined streets. Moving the antenna more towards the center of the cowl seemed to help a little. As far as freezing, a few times when I start the car the Satellite plays, but I can't change the channel, when I look at the radio on PCM, the message says to "call to activate subscription"., I called Sirius after it happened the 1st two times- at first they said it lost signal and they re-sent the signal and it worked. The 2nd time, the tech just had me turn the radio off, turn ignition off, then wait 5 seconds, turned radio on and that fixed the problem. It's happened one more time since then, and this resolves the issue. For me, and for the price, to be fully integrated into the PCM I'm satisfied. Sound quality is good and nothing looks aftermarket or added on. I'm sure you'll be happy. I just didn't want to initially pay for the oem antenna and antenna cable as those 2 items increased the cost a good bit, figured I'd try the cheaper way first. The splitter isn't a big deal as all it does it combine the dual antenna leads on the porsche module into the 1 standard satellite antenna lead, which most all have just the 1... From what I read, the 2nd antenna was an option at one point to allow am radio broadcast to be repeated from the Satelitte signal in major cities with a lot of buildings, etc., to allow better reception....not sure that feature is active anymore and doubt we have it here in Pittsburgh. What I'd like to look into is adding the 997.2 OEM satellite antenna which I swore I saw on a convertable. Perhaps that gets the best reception since it sits externally! Good luck

Old 11-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Z00mie is on a distinguished road
At the moment I have the front bumper skin removed from my car for a third radiator install. I am considering making a mounting point for the Sat antenna in the plasitic bumper skin cavity.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:46 PM
Musclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Z00mie
Musclehedz101,
First and foremost, thank you for this DIY! I have some questions though. I checked and found that the Porsche part no. for the XM/Sirius antenna are the same as the GPS (one does all 3). Why did you choose not to use the factory GPS antenna in your install? Also, you used an adaptor for the aftermarket antenna. Was it required because it is an afermarket antenna or does Porsche XM/Sirius use a different type plug to interface with the receiver? I really would like to forego the adaptor use and swap out my GPS antenna for the multi function one and have a closer to OEM install. Your thoughts? And, again thanks for the top notch DIY instructions!
Apologies for the delayed response but work has had me pegged for past few months and just getting back to enjoying life again! (As a matter of fact, I just arrived at PCA Eurka Spring Event in Arkansas and looking forward to the drives and possibly meeting so of you all here!) And I am glad it helped you, it took ALLOT of research as well as trial & error to fit soultion but I have gleemed so much other good knowledge from this forum that I wanted to give back to the community.

Ok, to your questions...

As sirschwag already mentioned, the Porsche OEM "combined Ant. solution isn't an exact fit and it was cheaper to go the aftermarket route I chose using adapter. To date, the install is still going strong and love it. I do have same periodic "quirks" that sirschwag mentioned but they are temporary and infrequent. I have found that as long as I turn PCM off before shutting off ignition, that mitigates these infrequent quirks. As for placement, many factors come into play. Such as what part of country you love in will put you in (or out of) alignment with particular Sats. Also, if you live in a city area with high buildings interfering with sky line of site or if you are in an "open" area. For me I live in a Suburb of Dallas, TX so RARELY have issue unless I drive under a structure that obscures the sky view, which is to be expected. Also, it is recommended the ANT be placed on the "highest" spot on the exterior of the vehicle so it can have as much line of sight exposure to the sky; installing under the skin of the front bumper might not yield the best results but the good news is...you can always relocate it later.

Best wishes with your install and how you enjoy it as much as I have.

Last edited by Musclehedz101; 11-08-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:14 PM
CHenderson67 is on a distinguished road
Sat Radio install instructions

The link for the installation instruction for the Sat Radio install is active, but Rapid Share says the file is no longer available. I tried to PM you my email addy, however since I am a new user I am unable to send a PM. I am attempting to install the Sat Radio into a 07 C4S. Thanks

Old 12-27-2012, 02:45 PM
Musclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by CHenderson67
The link for the installation instruction for the Sat Radio install is active, but Rapid Share says the file is no longer available. I tried to PM you my email addy, however since I am a new user I am unable to send a PM. I am attempting to install the Sat Radio into a 07 C4S. Thanks
Try downloading from my Dropbox account:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/82906075/DI...io_Install.pdf

Old 12-27-2012, 02:59 PM
CHenderson67 is on a distinguished road
RE: Drop Box

Got it Thank you very much. You seem to be the only person who has done such a complete document with photos. I appreciate the time you put into it. Thank you again

Old 12-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by CHenderson67
Got it Thank you very much. You seem to be the only person who has done such a complete document with photos. I appreciate the time you put into it. Thank you again
You are welcome!

My "R&D" cost went over budget while figuring out the right solution but...I was committed (aka obsessed) so kept on going till I figured it out!

Old 12-30-2012, 07:35 PM
mudmutt is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sirschwag
I recently completed my install and had similar questions. I chose the aftermarket antenna & adapter (which is needed to go from 2 connectors on Sirius module to the 1 lead on the aftermarket antenna) mostly due to cost and ease of install. The oem GPS/Satellite combo retails for $180, the aftermarket & adapter is much cheaper. As far as install, the thin single cable of aftermarket antenna was much easier to pass through the rubber grommet from the fronk to the battery area (this was the most difficult part of the install IMO). It also allowed easier placement of antenna under the window cowl which I recently re-positioned more towards the center for better reception (see above posts). Since the oem GPS/Satellite combo antenna is a Cayenne part, it doesn't fit precisely as the existing (smaller) GPS antenna does. I am curious however if this antenna gets better reception vs aftermarket. There are a couple of DIY's for this on Renntech as well using all oem.
Did you just do the GPS/Nav antenna or the module install also?

Old 12-30-2012, 08:08 PM
sirschwag will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by mudmutt
Did you just do the GPS/Nav antenna or the module install also?
I installed the module and used the aftermarket antenna option as discussed in this thread. I did not use the oem GPS/NAV combo...

Old 03-01-2013, 03:29 PM
bobolouie is on a distinguished road
Hi
I have a 07 TT with Bose/Nav but no CD changer, wondering if i got the harness that would accomodate the CD changer that i could add the Dension product down the line after i install the satellite radio module?
thanks
G

Old 03-01-2013, 07:31 PM
n6pvj is on a distinguished road
Don't know, but Eric at Bumperplugs.com I imagine might have your answer.

One warning: Any connection between the passenger compartment and the trunk should be done by a professional installer. I've run through grommets myself on 3 cars and my 997 was the third (thought I knew how to avoid trouble) and I very nearly destroyed the harness. Quote from the dealer: over $16,000.00.

I managed to get it working again with an endoscope and some surgical tools.

You might not be so lucky.

Love the Dension.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:32 AM
bobolouie is on a distinguished road
N6pvj, curious, how did the harness get damaged? R u a surgeon? ( I.e. endoscope).

Old 08-27-2013, 04:29 PM
ksdprasad will become famous soon enough
did anyone installed factory ipod connector to 997.1 model?

Old 08-27-2013, 11:23 PM
jurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond repute
iPod in 997.1

I had a mobridge that worked well

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY On Porsche OEM Satellite Radio Install