997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Easy scratch/swirl removal from clear film......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 11:58 PM
robfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of light
Easy scratch/swirl removal from clear film......

I've noticed a couple of small swirls on the nose of my 09 black 997.2 the past few months. Although I am very **** about detailing and cleaning myself and using chamois cloths once and only once before washing.I somehow noticed a few "swirls" and "scratches" on the front nose area where the clear film covers, around the frunk logo. I remember the guy that did the install in Ft. Lauderdale, the first week I owned the car, mentioning scratches/swirls can be removed from the clear film with alcohol and a Q tip.
Although, probably not noticable to anyone, the few swirls bothered me to no end. I took some 91% rubbing alcohol and applied a dab to a clean chamois and gently dabbed the areas where the swirls were. I let it sit a few minutes and used another, clean chamois and gently wiped the areas. I then sprayed a dab of detail wax and gently wiped the area and was amazed at the result! It was like day one, like the siwlrls/scratches never existed.

Amazing, I would have taken before and after pics if I had any idea the results were going to be so impressive!!!

Just passing on the info, anyone else done the alcohol dab?

Old 10-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Vinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to behold
Good info! I personally have not tried it yet. I do have a few swirl marks but am not that bothered by it. Probably won't try it till the weather gets warmer again. It's getting cold here in New England and will soon get my Pcar settled in for Winter hybernation.

Vinny

Old 10-09-2010, 09:59 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
good job, will try that sometime. Seems like alcohol is good for a lot of things...

Old 10-09-2010, 11:59 AM
doug2255 has a spectacular aura aboutdoug2255 has a spectacular aura about
I need to try that - last week i has a bug stain that I rubbed a little to hard on and it caused a scratch in my film. I was pisse....d!

I will definitely trey that this weekend.

Thanks for the (Q) tip.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Do a 50/50 solution of water and alcohol in a spray bottle. Spray on liberally and wipe off with a microfiber towel. After that then re apply whatever protectant polish you use (i.e. Menzerna Powerlock for me). This is what the XPEL/3M film installer told me to do and it works perfect!

Old 10-09-2010, 03:57 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
you guys used isopropyl alcohol?

Old 10-09-2010, 11:38 PM
robfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of light
Yes, I used isopropyl, 91 %. I wil ltry the 50/50 dilute next time even though my lil dab of 91% worked perfedct. I normally use my alcohol, vodka with ice only but agree the 50/50 is safer for the clear film. Not sure how it works, but the scratches disappear!

I sympathize with you Vinny in new Hampshire. Southern Florida temps dipped to 84 today, had to turn my pool heater on for the first time to heat the pool to 90 for the kids!

Moved down from NYC in 2001, miss the cold as much as I miss the pot holes!!!!!!

Last edited by robfxlr; 10-09-2010 at 11:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-10-2010, 12:47 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
robfxlr - you've been repped!

Old 10-10-2010, 12:52 AM
repped???

Old 10-10-2010, 06:40 AM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
Top right of each post is a flag you can click to add "rep". Usually reserved for informative posts. In theory, posters with high rep counts could be relied upon for good info.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:21 PM
doug2255 has a spectacular aura aboutdoug2255 has a spectacular aura about
I have a bottle of 99% Isopropyl Alcohol - OK to use this??

Old 10-10-2010, 05:00 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by doug2255
I have a bottle of 99% Isopropyl Alcohol - OK to use this??

I would mix part of it with an equal volume of water and try that first.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Thumbs up

I agree, mix 50/50 with water...........91, 99 per cent, almost the same................................let me know how it works for you, I personally am thrilled and amazed I no longer have to "live" with the SWIRLS/SCRATCHES in my clear film...

I've been repped, wadaya know!!!

Old 10-10-2010, 11:40 PM
Superfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant future
Whoa, that's a good tip. I'm reppin you too, but not for the tip, rather, it's for your avatar and siggy pic. :-)

Old 10-11-2010, 11:47 PM
Avatar is a mom of 2, 41 years old, just your typical mom..........NOT!!!