997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

best way to change gears

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 05:12 PM
solrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to all
best way to change gears

at what RPM do you guys normally shift, and if you are a slow driver like me I shift at around 3000 RPM but notice the RPM needle jumps and I hate that, but if I drive a little harder change gears very smooth and the needle goes smooth..

Last edited by solrac6262; 01-08-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:14 PM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
Since I'm in Flower Mound too, why don't you let me see if I can figure it out by borrowing your car for a few weeks? I promise to get back to you with some good advice......

Run the revs up a bit more - it's more fun, it sounds better, and it's good for the car.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:23 PM
leneuromancer has a spectacular aura aboutleneuromancer has a spectacular aura about
3K? blah...

drive it ...be it on I35 or, anywhere! ...take 407 west, and keep going ...either way open her up, she will love you for it, and you will love her that much more!!

up the road in Denton so if you want to take a run...

Old 01-09-2011, 10:22 AM
solrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by leneuromancer
3K? blah...

drive it ...be it on I35 or, anywhere! ...take 407 west, and keep going ...either way open her up, she will love you for it, and you will love her that much more!!

up the road in Denton so if you want to take a run...
lol good advice man thankss

Old 01-09-2011, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by leftlane
Since I'm in Flower Mound too, why don't you let me see if I can figure it out by borrowing your car for a few weeks? I promise to get back to you with some good advice......

Run the revs up a bit more - it's more fun, it sounds better, and it's good for the car.
I'm gonna think about it lol.. but I will do the revs higher..

does your car do the same thing when changing gears e.g. 2-3 3-4 sometimes I am driving and I push the clutch to do the normal shifting after changing gear the needle goes to a lower rev normal and after pulling out the clutch I can see the needle jumping high again but feels not so smoth, just wondering I don't think my cayman use to that.. maybe I need to find a better method to provide very smooth shifting

Last edited by solrac6262; 01-09-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:04 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
It drops because you're engine speed is slowing and then jumping back up to match the transmission speed. You need to shift quicker and when you have the right timing the needle will drop right in place to match the trans speed.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
It drops because you're engine speed is slowing and then jumping back up to match the transmission speed. You need to shift quicker and when you have the right timing the needle will drop right in place to match the trans speed.
is this something that can cause a mechanical problem? you are saying change gears faster correct ? perfect shifting takes practice I know, I just hate to feel that bump and see the needle jump I think when I do the revs higher it doesn't do it..

Old 01-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Fast997turbo is on a distinguished road
I usually shift around 7k. Even when I am not driving "enthusiastically".

The near redline approach works for me. All my cars seem to prefer it.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:38 PM
cbzzoom is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by solrac6262
I'm gonna think about it lol.. but I will do the revs higher..

does your car do the same thing when changing gears e.g. 2-3 3-4 sometimes I am driving and I push the clutch to do the normal shifting after changing gear the needle goes to a lower rev normal and after pulling out the clutch I can see the needle jumping high again but feels not so smoth, just wondering I don't think my cayman use to that.. maybe I need to find a better method to provide very smooth shifting
Eh... good lord, this is what makes buying a used Porsche so scary.

If you have problems matching revs on the *upshift* I'm terrified of what your downshift does to the car.

I hate to be a jerk, but maybe you should have a PDK.

Also I imagine PCA in your region does a Driver Skills day. You should join PCA and go to that. I wasn't down-shifting correctly until I went to Driver Skills. There are lots of great guys in the PCA who know how to drive these cars correctly.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by cbzzoom
Eh... good lord, this is what makes buying a used Porsche so scary.

If you have problems matching revs on the *upshift* I'm terrified of what your downshift does to the car.

I hate to be a jerk, but maybe you should have a PDK.

Also I imagine PCA in your region does a Driver Skills day. You should join PCA and go to that. I wasn't down-shifting correctly until I went to Driver Skills. There are lots of great guys in the PCA who know how to drive these cars correctly.
okok get it..dont be to hard on me so its not a clutch or something else problem, I'll try, you have a good technique advise that you can share..

Old 01-09-2011, 12:55 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
okok get it..dont be to hard on me so its not a clutch or something else problem, I'll try, you have a good technique advise that you can share..
His best advice was for you to get help, and fast.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
is this something that can cause a mechanical problem? you are saying change gears faster correct ? perfect shifting takes practice I know, I just hate to feel that bump and see the needle jump I think when I do the revs higher it doesn't do it..
Every second that the needle adjusts up or down while letting out the clutch is the clutch life ticking. These cars prefer a quick deliberate shift up and you should be rev-matching down whenever you can.

I'm not perfect in any sense of the word but I know what I need to do and just need to practice in execution. I sometimes take to long shifting up as well but I'm getting better. I'm also getting better at rev-matching down. It takes practice.

I was just thinking about contacting my local PCA for a ride-a-long actually.
I'm going to do that now. I had one when I first got the car from the local DE instructor but maybe it's time for a refresher.

-HB

Old 01-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Every second that the needle adjusts up or down while letting out the clutch is the clutch life ticking. These cars prefer a quick deliberate shift up and you should be rev-matching down whenever you can.

I'm not perfect in any sense of the word but I know what I need to do and just need to practice in execution. I sometimes take to long shifting up as well but I'm getting better. I'm also getting better at rev-matching down. It takes practice.

I was just thinking about contacting my local PCA for a ride-a-long actually.
I'm going to do that now. I had one when I first got the car from the local DE instructor but maybe it's time for a refresher.

-HB
that explains a lot.. for now I will try to practice a little bit with my foot and see if I can do a better job, but def considering that ... thankss again

Old 01-09-2011, 01:39 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Every second that the needle adjusts up or down while letting out the clutch is the clutch life ticking. These cars prefer a quick deliberate shift up and you should be rev-matching down whenever you can. ...
Let's step back and examine this. The OP refers to a tach rev change, and I imagine he refers to a lowering of revs. Well, that is proper with an upshift. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd at 3k RPM produces a 1k RPM drop - see 997.2 6-speed chart below.

I hope the OP is not referring to a rev increase on an upshift... which would be an indication that he is applying throttle during the upshift/clutch release. Newer clutches, and these with dual mass flywheels, do not like any gas applied during a clutch release on an upshift.

Be careful also with a too 'deliberate' (resolute) gear change... you may quickly wear your synchros doing so. These trannies like a slight slowdown passing through neutral into the next gear.

The OP needs to learn proper shifting and then, when proficient, exercise his car properly, or drive another more sedate one.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:48 PM
ok just correct me on here please, to rev match, going on 2nd to 3rd 3k rpms you press your clutch and release gas, needle drops to 2k and jumps back hard to catch the rpms.. you are saying not put gas when clutch release

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: best way to change gears