997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 battery replacement recommendation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 05:39 AM
Clarksman is on a distinguished road
OK, so how do I keep a battery tender hooked-up when I am going to install a new battery? You have to disconnect the tender clips from the old battery to change the unit.
What am I missing here?

Old 04-16-2018, 06:11 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Plus make sure you don't reverse the polarity on hook-up by putting battery in backwards (it has happened). Positive to passenger side and negative to driver's side. The Bosch AGM has vent outlets on both sides so make sure the outlet on the negative side is plugged then the vent tube goes in the positive side outlet.
You need to wire in a quick connect pigtsil for the type of Battery Maintainer you'll be using. On my 997 I have it in the front smile grill

and on the Cayenne at the windshield cowl.

or you can use one that just plugs into the cigarette lighter socket in the center console like the Porsche OEM one or the C-Tek one, which is the same, just without the Porsche branding.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:25 PM
Clarksman is on a distinguished road
OK, I've got it............
Thank-you very much for the info !!

Old 09-20-2018, 10:26 PM
vg247 has a spectacular aura aboutvg247 has a spectacular aura about
Anyone replace a recent battery on their 997.2 - would love to know if there are some latest and greatest current batteries on the market. Looking to replace mine soon.

thanks everyone

Old 09-21-2018, 01:50 PM
Former Vendor
Antigravity Batteries has a brilliant futureAntigravity Batteries has a brilliant futureAntigravity Batteries has a brilliant futureAntigravity Batteries has a brilliant futureAntigravity Batteries has a brilliant futureAntigravity Batteries has a brilliant futureAntigravity Batteries has a brilliant futureAntigravity Batteries has a brilliant futureAntigravity Batteries has a brilliant futureAntigravity Batteries has a brilliant futureAntigravity Batteries has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by vg247
Anyone replace a recent battery on their 997.2 - would love to know if there are some latest and greatest current batteries on the market. Looking to replace mine soon.

thanks everyone
Well..... look no further. We offer that latest and greatest, if you are considering Lithium... If you considering Lead/Acid then it just about buying a decent brand since there is no new technology on the Lead/Acid side of things.

We are Antigravity Batteries... we offer Lithium-Ion Battery options for Performance Cars, Race Cars and Motorcycles/Powersports vehicles. All we do is Lithium-Ion. We have a Battery called the RS-30, weighs 11.5 pounds, has 1200 cranking Amps and 30Amp Hours. IT also has a very cool feature that will not allow itself to be over-discharged and leave you stranded. Its called RE-START Technology. So the battery intelligently monitors itself, then if it sees it is about to be over-discharged (drained dead) it puts itself to sleep.... but with enough energy to get you about 5 more start attempts. So you just press the RE-START button on it, access the reserve energy, start the and drive away. No more dead battery or jumper cables or assistance needed. But even more important is that it protects the Lithium Battery from Damage, so the battery can't be damaged like most the other Lithium Batteries out there, it has a full Battery Management System (BMS) on board to make it ultra safe, and which our competitors don't have.

Check out the video and if you have any questions let us know. We make a battery tray that allows for an exact drop in fit for Porsches or other cars using the H6/Group 48 Battery. We also have it in a bunch of other Cars including Vettes, Lambos, Mustangs, Ferraris, Vipers... WRXs and more.

By the way if any are going to the Rennsport Reunion in Monterey come by and say hi... and you can see it in our GT3 RS....

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co...omotive/rs-30/

Last edited by Antigravity Batteries; 09-21-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:22 PM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Antigravity Batteries
Well..... look no further. We offer that latest and greatest, if you are considering Lithium... If you considering Lead/Acid then it just about buying a decent brand since there is no new technology on the Lead/Acid side of things.

We are Antigravity Batteries... we offer Lithium-Ion Battery options for Performance Cars, Race Cars and Motorcycles/Powersports vehicles. All we do is Lithium-Ion. We have a Battery called the RS-30, weighs 11.5 pounds, has 1200 cranking Amps and 30Amp Hours. IT also has a very cool feature that will not allow itself to be over-discharged and leave you stranded. Its called RE-START Technology. So the battery intelligently monitors itself, then if it sees it is about to be over-discharged (drained dead) it puts itself to sleep.... but with enough energy to get you about 5 more start attempts. So you just press the RE-START button on it, access the reserve energy, start the and drive away. No more dead battery or jumper cables or assistance needed. But even more important is that it protects the Lithium Battery from Damage, so the battery can't be damaged like most the other Lithium Batteries out there, it has a full Battery Management System (BMS) on board to make it ultra safe, and which our competitors don't have.

Check out the video and if you have any questions let us know. We make a battery tray that allows for an exact drop in fit for Porsches or other cars using the H6/Group 48 Battery. We also have it in a bunch of other Cars including Vettes, Lambos, Mustangs, Ferraris, Vipers... WRXs and more.

By the way if any are going to the Rennsport Reunion in Monterey come by and say hi... and you can see it in our GT3 RS....

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co...omotive/rs-30/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uczGiDrY1SQ
Interesting. I especially like the integrated cut-off switch for being able to work on cars and easily cutting the power.

2 questions:
  1. Are these batteries sealed and ventless where you can install them sideways and not need to worry about a vent line or any type of battery maintenance
  2. On a 997, if the frunk is closed and the battery goes dead, you can't open the frunk lid to press and hold the reactivation button because the battery has cut power across it's terminals. What needs to be possible is to use the pull out in the fuse panel area where you supply 12v to it and a ground so the button on the key will pop the frunk. With this still function or with the battery being in the circuit and not having continuity across it's terminals, will that pull out no longer work for supplying voltage to the lock module. Also, in it's cut-off state, can the battery still be charged externally (Battery Tender pigtail or CTek charger to the socket in the ashtray) or does it need to be turned back on before it will take a charge across it's terminals?

Old 09-22-2018, 09:03 AM
Former Vendor
Antigravity Batteries has a brilliant futureAntigravity Batteries has a brilliant futureAntigravity Batteries has a brilliant futureAntigravity Batteries has a brilliant futureAntigravity Batteries has a brilliant futureAntigravity Batteries has a brilliant futureAntigravity Batteries has a brilliant futureAntigravity Batteries has a brilliant futureAntigravity Batteries has a brilliant futureAntigravity Batteries has a brilliant futureAntigravity Batteries has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Petza914
2 questions:
  1. Are these batteries sealed and ventless where you can install them sideways and not need to worry about a vent line or any type of battery maintenance
  2. On a 997, if the frunk is closed and the battery goes dead, you can't open the frunk lid to press and hold the reactivation button because the battery has cut power across it's terminals. What needs to be possible is to use the pull out in the fuse panel area where you supply 12v to it and a ground so the button on the key will pop the frunk. With this still function or with the battery being in the circuit and not having continuity across it's terminals, will that pull out no longer work for supplying voltage to the lock module. Also, in it's cut-off state, can the battery still be charged externally (Battery Tender pigtail or CTek charger to the socket in the ashtray) or does it need to be turned back on before it will take a charge across it's terminals?
1-Are these batteries sealed and ventless where you can install them sideways and not need to worry about a vent line or any type of battery maintenance.

Yes they are ventless, and they do not require type of special venting because they do not release gases when charging as Lead/Acid does. Also Lithium does not require any special Maintenance, and can be installed in any orientation since there is no real liquid to spill inside of them. The only thing you would want to do different is use a Lithium-Ion specific Charger....both CTEK another company Optimate as well as others make them, but we only recommend CTEK and Optimates version. So in the vehicles, the charging of the battery is absolutely fine. But, when putting on a aftermarket charger you would want to use the Lithium Version. The reason you want to do this is because Lead Acid Chargers have different charging curves than a Lithium Charger. And due to Lead/Acids special modes in some chargers like DESULFATE, which can spike voltages above 17v we don't like to see them left on Lithium batteries because they tend to over-cycle the battery or over-charge Lithium. The prices on a Lithium Charger are from about $60 dollar to a delux version that charges at 5 Amp that is abouty $115.
But I will tell you that providing you don't have extra electronics or a high parasitc drain lithium can hold a charge an exceptionally long time, but again if you have a car with extra electronics like Cameras, aftermarket theft alarms and similar then you can discharge it quicker, but that goes for any battery. But that is where our RE-START technology kicks in because it will put itself to sleep before being over-discharged... and you just press a button and start the car again and drive or put it on a charger to recharge it.

On a 997, if the frunk is closed and the battery goes dead, you can't open the frunk lid to press and hold the reactivation button because the battery has cut power across it's terminals. What needs to be possible is to use the pull out in the fuse panel area where you supply 12v to it and a ground so the button on the key will pop the frunk. With this still function or with the battery being in the circuit and not having continuity across it's terminals, will that pull out no longer work for supplying voltage to the lock module. Also, in it's cut-off state, can the battery still be charged externally (Battery Tender pigtail or CTek charger to the socket in the ashtray) or does it need to be turned back on before it will take a charge across it's terminals?

Yes I'm aware of the frunk issues, I have a GT3RS and the first time I put the battery in, and the first day I owned the car.... I excitedly put the battery in and FORGOT to turn on the battery.... closed the Hood and was effectively locked-out. So I freaked out for a few moments because this was my first Porsche...went on Renn and found how to open the frunk. So I did the procedure and the Car Opened. So yes that still works. I also have an easier solution for opening the frunk than going under the steering wheel and into the fuse box and grounding.... We make a line of Mini Jump Starters called the MICRO-STARTS (our XP-10 model won actually was Consumer Reports best Rated Jump Starter) and we have a "Clampless Harness" we designed so a Motorcyclist would not have to remove their seat or fairing to access the battery if they needed to jump-start the vehicle.. they could just use our "Clampless Harness" and pull it out from under the seat and connect the mini jump starter to it and jump the bike.... So I put one of those on my Battery and fed it out under the hood to the base of the windshield and now if I run out of power (which I have avoided so far) I can easily power the car by plug in in the tiny MICRO-START SPORT (can actually fit in your pocket and jump start a V8 motor and charge you USB devices) I carry with me in the glove box . In fact we have now designed a longer version of the harness that can be fed to the side of the hood for easier access and that will be available in about 6-8 weeks. IT much easier than power the Red Fuse block and grounding.

Last the battery does need to be ON to accept a charge. When off it is not accepting a charge or having any voltage across the terminals, and will not show up on the charger since there is not voltage across the terminals and most modern charger need to see voltage before they will allow themselves to start charging.

IF you have any other questions let me know. Below is the video (not so great) of an install in my GT3RS which hold true for most all the 911s that use the H6/Group 48 battery.

Old 09-22-2018, 03:59 PM
So the Optima on my 914 actually failed today. Started normal the first 2 times, then exhibited textbook battery failure symptoms. I was also wrong about the age now that I've removed it. It was installed 09/2005 so only lasted exactly 13 years. Probably going to replace it with the Yellow top version this time around since there's an amp and some driving lights that tax it a bit.

Antigravity, might be willing to give one of yours a shot before I buy the Optima. PM me a price and specs for the right fitment. The one I removed from the 914 was a 75/35-925 with positive on the right when looking at the battery with the terminals closer to the front.

Last edited by Petza914; 09-23-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:33 AM
jimfuerst is an unknown quantity at this point
I just bought a 997.2 C2S and it came with the Porsche battery maintainer...which looks very similar to my CTEK I bought for another car..except the Porsche came with a few different accessories

Old 10-31-2018, 08:43 AM
jimfuerst is an unknown quantity at this point
I just purchased a 997.2 ..since the old batt was on its last legs, the owner put a new Porsche battery in... $237 installed. Really not a crazy price and cheaper than the two batteries for my long hood car.