997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Updating the PDK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 07:30 PM
chiroporsche will become famous soon enough
Updating the PDK

I'm still loving my 2011 4s. I've had almost 20 cars in my 40 years and she is the only one that I've had for more than 3. Including my 2015 GT3. The only thing that I would like to change would be to speed up the shifts for the PDK. My GT3 was obviously the epitome of quick shifting but I was wondering if there was any type of software update that could get my 997 to shift more like the 991s? Thanks ahead of time!

Old 10-06-2018, 10:18 PM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by chiroporsche
I'm still loving my 2011 4s. I've had almost 20 cars in my 40 years and she is the only one that I've had for more than 3. Including my 2015 GT3. The only thing that I would like to change would be to speed up the shifts for the PDK. My GT3 was obviously the epitome of quick shifting but I was wondering if there was any type of software update that could get my 997 to shift more like the 991s? Thanks ahead of time!

Does your 2011 C4S have sports chrono? Without that the PDK shifts like an an old Buick.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:39 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
As sandwedge suggests, if you don't have SC, the guts of it can be added without having to do the dash wart for the lap timer

Old 10-07-2018, 02:11 PM
I already have the sports chrono. :-)

Old 10-07-2018, 02:32 PM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
I already have the sports chrono. :-)
I don't know about on the PDK as I don't have one, but in my Cayenne Turbo S with Tiptronic, turning off the PSM turns it into a different beast, especially with respect to the transmission behavior. If you haven't experimented with that, maybe give it a try.

Old 10-07-2018, 05:51 PM
bmwcousins is on a distinguished road
I have a 2011 Carrera s with PDK, I went with the Cobb tuning software for both ecu and pdk.
There are 2 modes, and I could not be happier. Shifts can be firmer, faster and even stay in gear long with part throttle.

A little pricy, however very worth it.

another thing is making sure the pdk fluid,clutch fluid and filter are changed at the correct intervals.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by bmwcousins
I have a 2011 Carrera s with PDK, I went with the Cobb tuning software for both ecu and pdk.
There are 2 modes, and I could not be happier. Shifts can be firmer, faster and even stay in gear long with part throttle.

another thing is making sure the pdk fluid,clutch fluid and filter are changed at the correct intervals.
I think this is along the lines that I'm looking for.
How much of an improvement is there in shift speeds?
Do you have to keep the unit plugged in at all times for it to work?

Old 10-09-2018, 10:12 PM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bmwcousins

How does this affect any warranty on the car? I've already been through one PDK replacement at $14,000 covered by warranty and don't care to have that amount come out of pocket just to gain a millisecond in PDK shift speed.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:48 AM
The car has 96,xxxx miles and the PDK has been flawless, so naively not concerned with warranty. As with aftermarket tunes one can remove it at any time, if you ever did have an issue.
The unit does not need to be plugged in all the time to use, load in software, unplug and go.

It does increase the shift speed and there is a map for increased firmness.
https://www.cobbtuning.com/maps/pors...essive-pdk-map

In automatic mode it holds the gear a bit longer making for a sportier experience, in manual mode it's almost perfect. Have not had a chance to get it to the road course yet, however I would imagine would have the same impression.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by sandwedge
How does this affect any warranty on the car? I've already been through one PDK replacement at $14,000 covered by warranty and don't care to have that amount come out of pocket just to gain a millisecond in PDK shift speed.
What kind of warranty to you have on a 7 year old car?

Old 10-10-2018, 10:39 PM

What kind of warranty to you have on a 7 year old car?
Fidelity platinum. Basically identical to factory warranty except for the deductible of $250. Good through November 2020.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:09 AM
jrthe1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sandwedge
Does your 2011 C4S have sports chrono? Without that the PDK shifts like an an old Buick.
Hey Sandwedge. You wouldn't be over stating that a bit would you?

Old 10-26-2018, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by jrthe1
Hey Sandwedge. You wouldn't be over stating that a bit would you?
I don't think I am. PDK without sport chrono in auto/normal mode will have you in 6th. gear at about 30mph and less than 2,000 rpm. It's been a while since I drove an old Buick but I think even those held the gears a bit longer. On my second PDK 997 now and both have shifted the same so I don't think it's some kind of malfunction. Again, non issue as long as you have sport chrono with the PDK and less of an issue without SC as long as you stay in manual mode although the shifts are awfully lazy without the option of sport or sport plus mode.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:30 AM
jimfuerst is an unknown quantity at this point
When you use the sport chrono to speed up shifts, do you just use sport mode or sport plus?

Old 10-31-2018, 08:42 AM
Both, sport holds on to gears a bit longer Sport Plus keeps RPM's above 4000 and is track focused.

Thought at 4000 rpm's in second gear she is responsive.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Updating the PDK