997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 Porsche Racing Green

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 05:56 AM
NYCEnglish is infamous around these parts
997 Porsche Racing Green

Is this color generally undesirable? In the used market this color seems cheaper than others (black, silver, grey). Same could be said for Guards Red?

Old 05-05-2011, 11:25 AM
tcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to behold
If I just go by what I have seen at the many PCA events I have attended, I think the top three colors being sold are silver (different variations), black (a couple of variations) and white. After that I see dark "adult/serious looking" colors like dark grey, dark green, brown, dark blue, etc. Bright blues, kermit green, red, yellow, orange (!), etc. are a minority of cars and there seem to be "bunches" depending on what PCNA decided for launch colors.

For example, there are quite a few of these 2009 green/sand PDK C2S because they were a launch car combination. I think that might be why they are a little cheaper: there were many of them on the market at the same time.

The more eclectic colors seem to sell for a little less on the used market but, since the big color hit is really on the first sale. As a used car buyer, you will buy it for cheaper but will also sell it for cheaper. That being said, if you are patient, you will usually find someone that will like any color...

I say that if you like the color, that is really all that matters. I have seen only a very few truly ugly (sorry if I offend anyone here) P-cars, most of them from the eighties with combos like purple exterior and pink interiors.

I almost bough one of those Racing Green launch cars myself, I personally think that it is a very subdued classy looking color that shows much better in person than in pictures.

The best 911 is the one you drive,

T.

Last edited by tcouture; 05-05-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:54 AM
gellie can only hope to improve
Anything but Green!

Old 05-05-2011, 12:25 PM
saeyedoc will become famous soon enoughsaeyedoc will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by gellie
Anything but Green!
Don't hurt the feelings of my Peridot Cayman S, she hasn't even been born yet.
I was wondering about the PRG/sand cars being launch vehicles. I noticed more than a few '09 C2S's with identical options (PDK, Nav, XM) when looking at what to get.
Was going to order my car in PRG, but it moved to a special color in March, and didn't seem worth the premium to me. I had an A8 in British Racing Green for a while, loved that color.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:24 PM
richardaf will become famous soon enough
PRG Pics

Attached are a couple of quick and (literally) dirty pictures of my PRG 997.2. Not a launch car, but same color combination. I personally love it. I think the dark green and tan leather look great together and I also like that it is a bit less common. I know its not for everyone (inlcuding a friend with a triple black 997.1 who thinks the colors are hideous), but it sure was desirable to me! My 3 year old daughter is also a big fan of "daddy's green car".

Attached Images   
Old 05-05-2011, 03:26 PM
cbzzoom is an unknown quantity at this point
I love the green & tan! Very classy and unusual colors. Unfortunately for manual lovers they seem to almost all be the PDK launch cars.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
I agree - you are probably seeing the launch editions. A while back there were a bunch of them for sale across the country - must have been leased vehicles. Prices were very good, but they are all the same.

I happen to like the green color - it looks great in person. The Aqua Blue and Ruby Red are my other favorites, so I may be strange. I really like something other than the boring white, black, silver, gray that you see everywhere! Although the Guards Red and yellow are too much for me!

Old 05-05-2011, 04:25 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
At the launch each dealership was given
4 Green C2S launch cars
4 Meteor C4S with sport bucket seats
4 white base coupes with PDK and no Chrono
2 Macadamia Targas PDK no Chrono
4 Aqua c2S Cabs no chrono

This created an abundance of supply in those colors . With regard to the green cars the color was least desirebale and hard to sell. In fact the asking prices on some of the green cars NOW are higher than what they sold for NEW in some cases .

As for my own thoughts on the color. This famous old movie clip might give a hint.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-emQAsGMeQ

Last edited by yrralis1; 05-05-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:58 PM
DMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the rough
In defense of Porsche Racing Green:

My lease just ended on my '09 launch model C2S - PRG, sand beige interior, XM, PDK, sport chrono (but the launch model did NOT have Nav).

My previous 911 was silver, my current one is white, so I'm a mainstream kind of guy when it comes to colors. Green wasn't my color choice, but I got WAY too good a deal on the car (925 miles, $25K off sticker) to ignore it.

Many "Porsche people" have an "Ick" reaction to any shade of green, BUT I can't count the number of NON-Porsche people who were absolutely wowed by the Green/beige color combination. Lots of people would walk up to me in parking lots and compliment the car's colors. To be honest, now that I have a "safe" white over black GTS, I kind of miss the previous colors.

DMoore
'11 GTS (white/black)
'10 Panamera 4S (yachting blue/platinum gray)

Old 05-05-2011, 06:31 PM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
love the color

I couldn't get black so I settled for the PRG.... At this stage I don't even consider it settling for second best.. Nice color combo with the beige interior.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:38 AM
LiquidLobotomy can only hope to improve
Racing Green is a bit nostalgic for me, based on my dad's old Lotus Elan from the late 60s. Great color.

Really like ny Atlas Grey, but wouldn't have thought twice about a green car if it had the right equipment at the right price.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:29 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
I love the green with tan - classic - and fairly rare to see. And I too think I was influenced by a 60's Lotus I saw at a race when I was 5 or 6 years old.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:33 PM
killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !
i have always loved british racing green on any sports car. very classy looking.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:21 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
i would love to get gt3 in racing green.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:36 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
I am a fan of the PRG !! Nice and rare too.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 Porsche Racing Green