997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Fitting a turbo bumper....

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:09 AM
dansaenz is on a distinguished road
What's up guys! My car is finally in the shop getting the Turbo Bumper installed! I have few questions but I can't message anyone bc I'm still new on here... I have a few issues that I wanted to ask about before my labor fees sky rocket with trial & error! The bumper fits great but the bottom mounts obviously do not match up.

1. Is it necessary to fabricate a metal mount to secure the bottom of the bumper or did you guys just not secure it?

2. The Carrera air ducts to the radiators don't look right because they are way smaller than the openings on the Turbo Bumper. Will the Turbo air ducts fit so they match up with the openings on bumper? I haven't seen a close up picture to see what other people did, but someone said they wont work. I'm not sure what you're supposed to do because the stock Carrera ones don't look right or fit properly.

3. I need to use a 50W 6 ohm Resistor on the (+) Wires when connecting to the LED lights? However, the fog lights do not need a resistor... (Did you determine this is the correct way to avoid getting codes?) I also read something about connecting the negatives together... Is that right?

Most of this stuff has been talked about before, but I wasn't able to find clear cut answers... Thanks guys!

Old 10-10-2012, 09:31 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dansaenz
What's up guys! My car is finally in the shop getting the Turbo Bumper installed! I have few questions but I can't message anyone bc I'm still new on here... I have a few issues that I wanted to ask about before my labor fees sky rocket with trial & error! The bumper fits great but the bottom mounts obviously do not match up.

1. Is it necessary to fabricate a metal mount to secure the bottom of the bumper or did you guys just not secure it?

2. The Carrera air ducts to the radiators don't look right because they are way smaller than the openings on the Turbo Bumper. Will the Turbo air ducts fit so they match up with the openings on bumper? I haven't seen a close up picture to see what other people did, but someone said they wont work. I'm not sure what you're supposed to do because the stock Carrera ones don't look right or fit properly.

3. I need to use a 50W 6 ohm Resistor on the (+) Wires when connecting to the LED lights? However, the fog lights do not need a resistor... (Did you determine this is the correct way to avoid getting codes?) I also read something about connecting the negatives together... Is that right?

Most of this stuff has been talked about before, but I wasn't able to find clear cut answers... Thanks guys!
1.The centre mount is not relevant....or at least wasn't for me!

2.I bought the turbo air ducts as well

3.Fog lights do not need a resistor....and the LED's just need it on ONE of them....not both! As far as connecting the two negatives together....I cannot say,I never tried it!

Cheers,

Stacy

Old 10-13-2012, 02:03 PM
sleek-sam will become famous soon enough
My answers below are in bold, however I have a 05 997.1 C2, so I dont know if this changes anything.

You will need the lower, center cover from 997 turbo to bolt up the center properly. I first made a bracket before purchasing the lower cover and I didnt like the look of it, so that was when I purchased and installed the center under cover. It slids into the bumper to fill in the huge hole in the middle/underside and then it bolts onto the pan where the OEM bumper bolted onto.

I also have a set of turbo ducts which I didnt end up using. I used the stock airducts and just pushed them out as much as possible so that they sort of wrapped around the bumper cent holes.

My car did not need any resistors and I have no errors. I used HID's for the fog lamps, and wired up the LED blinkers to work how they were supposed to. They blink at normal rate and my car does not have any errors period.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:06 PM
sleek-sam will become famous soon enough
Almost forgot to mention. I also had to purchased the front lower fender liners for 997 turbo. So everything on the bottom side ended up bolting up, except on one lower tab per side which was supposed to bolt on to the turbo side radiator or radiator bracket.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:55 AM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
Man thats amazing! wish i could just get this

Old 10-23-2012, 05:43 AM
TEX911 is on a distinguished road
Stacey,

AMAZING!!!! Well done great job!!!! IMO one of the nicest cars on the forum and you have tons to be proud of!!! I don't get onto the forum much cos of the hours i work so when i have a spare few minutes.....if you don't mind could you send me the details of your wheels, I am not sure whether its gonna be cost effective to get them to Australia....

Thanks and regards
TEX911

Old 10-24-2012, 07:23 PM
Finally finished up the front Turbo Bumper install! Here's a quick photo from my iPhone when picking it up from the body shop. I thought the stock bumper was low after putting H&R's on... I can barely get into my car now!!! Can't wait to put the rear turbo bumper on!

Attached Images  
Old 10-25-2012, 06:50 AM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Finally finished up the front Turbo Bumper install! Here's a quick photo from my iPhone when picking it up from the body shop. I thought the stock bumper was low after putting H&R's on... I can barely get into my car now!!! Can't wait to put the rear turbo bumper on!
Looks great and IMO...one of the best ways to modify the car.The best part of this mod IS...that it is a factory Porsche part so the quality is there!
Nice work BBUT do be careful of that front lip as it will touch the ground periodically,LOL!

Cheers,

Stacy

Old 10-25-2012, 11:06 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
looks great !

btw, ur car looks like a NB in the pic.. if it is, the rear turbo bumper will not fit as far as i know.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Side note: I didn't end up needing any resistors and didn't get any codes. I bought the Agency LED DRL Lights which have some sort of box attached to it, which apparently has or acts like resistors.

Yes, it's a narrow body and i have yet to try the rear bumper bc this front electrical stuff ended up taking longer than anticipated.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:28 AM
cleveland is on a distinguished road
First off, just want to say congrats on a job well done!!! Not only has the result been great, you have others trying to follow in your footsteps, so once again simply amazing!!!

Well Stacy, I'm one of those as well that's trying to do the same mod to my 911 CS. I'm in the beginning stages and I'm at the point where I pulled the headlight washers off from my old bumper to put on to the turbo bumper and......
Can you help me clarify what you did and this point to get everything fitted within the new bumper? In your post you mention what you did but its not that clear to me ( guess I'm slow).

Thanks it would be greatly appreciated

Old 05-24-2013, 10:33 AM
^^^ I will pm you my phone number. It has been some time since I have done this. Hopefully I will be able to help,lol!

Stacy

Old 05-24-2013, 01:33 PM
cleveland is on a distinguished road
WOW!!! sounds great, will phone you tonight.

Once again, thanks Stacy for your time and help, very much appreciated!!!

Old 06-16-2018, 05:52 PM
Rezzer is an unknown quantity at this point
Great post here!

Bringing back an old thread, but Stacy, what do you do to the center part of the bumper since the NB Carerra has no 3rd radiator? Cover it up?

Am curious as to whether leaving it open will cause air flow / aerodynamics issue, i.e air flows into it and causes lift?

Old 06-18-2018, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by Rezzer
Great post here!

Bringing back an old thread, but Stacy, what do you do to the center part of the bumper since the NB Carerra has no 3rd radiator? Cover it up?

Am curious as to whether leaving it open will cause air flow / aerodynamics issue, i.e air flows into it and causes lift?
I left it open and I did have a third radiator for the supercharger. Was one of my favourite modifications.

Last edited by justatoy; 06-18-2018 at 08:40 AM.