997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

buying from out of state??

Old 04-23-2005, 12:57 AM
trovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nice
buying from out of state??

i am in southern california. local dealers don't have many 997S available. i am starting to wonder if buying the car out of state is a good idea, and would i end up paying more with shipping and possible extra charge?

any opinions? and any good suggestions on where to look??

thanks

Last edited by trovan; 04-23-2005 at 01:39 AM.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:34 AM
TheJury is on a distinguished road
They are better to deal with....try Illinois

Old 04-23-2005, 03:22 AM
The Hot Banana
KO KAINE is on a distinguished road
oregon, nevada, texas are good states. i bought mine from VA and it cost me about $2K to ship via horseless carriage back to los angeles. i think you can do a tax hustle from the states i mentioned, but not sure.

Old 04-23-2005, 03:40 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
how do u plan to pay? if it's cash deal then it's much easier. however, u have to go to DMV later to pay the sales tax anyway.

Old 04-23-2005, 09:00 AM
trovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nice
i plan to lease. spoke to few dealers in the midwest. quoting me almost 3k for shipping.... not sure if it's worth it.

Old 04-23-2005, 09:07 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
trovan,
shipping shouldn't be more than 1,800 & that's coast to coast. anywhere from mid us to us is about 1,300 to 1,500 top. if u find a car just tell them u'll ship it urself. i have few contacts can bring the car back to socal perfectly.

Old 04-23-2005, 09:09 AM
thanks arling. it's scary trying to buy my first porsche, and not able to see it first!! i will do some more search locally this weekend. i guess another question is whether out of state dealers may sale the car cheaper than socal, in a way to make up for shipping cost.

thanks.

Old 04-23-2005, 09:22 AM
i agree. i like to see the car before i buy it. regarding to ur question, the answer might not be true. but depends if that specific dealer wants to sell u a car knowing that they don't make money on shipping anyways. IMO leave the shipping out of the deal is a better way. however, some dealers might not want to sell u the car for cheaper because they know u're not coming back for service & that's their main money making source. but again u never know. whatever u do do it fast because the weather is getting warmer & nicer across the US so there will be more buyers in the market looking for sports car like 997. therefore out-of-state dealers might not want to sell u a car for better deal cuz they won't have problem sell it locally.

Old 04-23-2005, 11:36 AM
the impression i get so far..... shipping is around 2k from these dealers, and they don't care if i provide my own shipper. the price is pretty much MSRP without much discount.

but there is actually work on my part. there will be some overnight shipping of documents and a trip to the notary, which is okay. but once the car is here, i have to take it in for emission inspection and registration at DMV. now that is painful as we are know the speedy service of DMV. i think i will do more searching locally to save some trouble. will also look for a used C4s or turbo also. but most people are asking a lot higher than KBB. this is a problem since i am leasing, and lease company don't want to pay more than the BBK value on the car!!

Old 04-23-2005, 12:00 PM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by trovan
the impression i get so far..... shipping is around 2k from these dealers, and they don't care if i provide my own shipper. the price is pretty much MSRP without much discount.

but there is actually work on my part. there will be some overnight shipping of documents and a trip to the notary, which is okay. but once the car is here, i have to take it in for emission inspection and registration at DMV. now that is painful as we are know the speedy service of DMV. i think i will do more searching locally to save some trouble. will also look for a used C4s or turbo also. but most people are asking a lot higher than KBB. this is a problem since i am leasing, and lease company don't want to pay more than the BBK value on the car!!
if you go this route, e-mail me and i know of a service that for less than $150 will provide you with temp tags and keep you from ever setting foot in DMV. they'll tell you who (as in car dealers, etc) in your area can do a VIN certification (required of out of state cars) which is usually free and fast. i've only bought two of my cars in CA, but most including the CGT, CS, M3, etc were bought outside and shipped in. CA prices are stupid. $3k for shipping is absurd. coast to coast shouldn't run you even $2k from the very best carriers.

ps. try alfie at IRA porsche. he's a great guy, and will treat you very right as relates pricing. it won't hurt you either to see if roger at hoehn or chris at pioneer here in SD will compete with east coast prices you find on a legitimate deal keeping in mind shipping is saved.

fwiw, don't be surprised to find the lease on a new 997S cheaper than a used C4S or turbo. that's just the way it works. make sure to shop whatever you find against leasecompare.com as dealers will try and #uck you with lousy porsche financial lease rates if they aren't making enough on the car - and sometimes even if they are. leasecompare will keep them honest. extra miles are usually much cheaper from leasecompare.

Last edited by ben, lj; 04-23-2005 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:35 PM
tagheuer is on a distinguished road
I bought from out of state and saved more than enough to make it worthwhile. Socal dealer's prices are ridiculous.

Old 04-23-2005, 02:07 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Since you are leasing, I wouldn't think it's worth the extra trouble getting from out of state if you plan on returning the car after the lease is over.

If you are buying or keeping it after lease, call around other places in CA. Someone should have a car and you won't have to take it out of state. For DMV, you just need a smog check and go to DMV for VIN verification and vehicle registration. If you make an appt with DMV, it should be a couple of hours.

Alternatively, have your dealer call around to get a car transferred to him and buy it from him to avoid hassles.

Old 04-23-2005, 08:58 PM
The Hot Banana
KO KAINE is on a distinguished road
i used my own shipper from VA to los angeles (coast to coast basically) and the price was $1890.......horseless carriage is probably the biggest and most expensive name, so i cant see how it could be more than that. Use Arling's guys, trust me he does not play around. trying calling Ed Klima in VA beach checkered flag porsche on the porche dealer website, they did all the tax and DMV **** for me no sweat.

Old 04-23-2005, 09:35 PM
thanks, will definitely give him a call.

Old 04-24-2005, 02:22 PM
shamrock is on a distinguished road
New Hampshire has no sales tax!
just long shipping distances to west coast and probably that woudl equal the tax on its own!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: buying from out of state??