997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

High Mileage '06 Carrera S Journal [Equinox]

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 05:32 AM
Equinox is a splendid one to beholdEquinox is a splendid one to beholdEquinox is a splendid one to beholdEquinox is a splendid one to beholdEquinox is a splendid one to beholdEquinox is a splendid one to beholdEquinox is a splendid one to beholdEquinox is a splendid one to behold
High Mileage '06 Carrera S Journal [lots of How-To's]

Howdy board,
A couple days ago I posted a new member thread, introducing my car as well as a little of myself. Now I plan on using this thread as a sort of car journal/diary of the goings on with my car. Subscribers beware, I might get very detailed. I will continue to update the journal with as many pictures as I can, as I know the rules of the web, pics or gtfo.

About me: (Sorry if I am vague, but I don't need too much info out here on the interwebz) I attended high school and college in/around Houston, and spent several years in the military. I'm in my late 20's, and I consider myself a nerd of sorts, having dabbled in building computers, programming, car sound systems, electronics, car bolt-on's to include turbos, and so on. I live about an hour East of Houston Texas, and I recently left the military this year. I'm currently awaiting an academy date to join a governmental agency, as I have been hired already for a position in Tennessee; I expect to move in about a year from now. I do have an in between job, but nothing great.

My car history includes my first car 1990 Acura Integra, quickly building a sound system into it; I moved on to a 2002 Mazda Protege5 and turbo'd it with a t3/t4 among other things, getting from 140hp up to 230hp. Then a 2007 Mazdaspeed3 which I took from 260hp to 390hp, and a 2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6 DI. I then imported a 1996 Mazda RX-7 from Japan (RHD) and swapped a GM LS2 6.0L V8 into it, and updated it to 99+ year model style. I still have the RX-7, going to finish up the updating and sell it here soon. Most recently, I had a 2009 Nissan 370z Nismo (350hp stock), which I did a few mods here and there like exhaust, short shifter, etc. I tracked the Nismo a couple times, but never did any crazy mods, as I expected to twin turbo it, that is, until I decided I wanted a 911. I traded the Nismo in for a used 2006 Porsche Carrera S. My wife currently has a Pontiac G8 GXP (416hp stock), she asked for a red car, so I made it a fun one.

ABOVE: 1990 Acura Integra, First car; stock photo shown.

ABOVE: 2002 Mazda Protege5 with T3/T4 turbo kit (Sold)

ABOVE: 2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6L (Sold) & 2007 Mazdaspeed3 (Sold)

Above: 2009 Nissan 370z Nismo (sold)

Above: 1996 Mazda RX-7 RHD LS2 V8 6.0L (Left)

Last edited by Equinox; 05-20-2012 at 12:35 AM. Reason: updating
Old 12-27-2011, 05:52 AM
Equinox is a splendid one to beholdEquinox is a splendid one to beholdEquinox is a splendid one to beholdEquinox is a splendid one to beholdEquinox is a splendid one to beholdEquinox is a splendid one to beholdEquinox is a splendid one to beholdEquinox is a splendid one to behold
About the Porsche..

Above: Trading in the Nismo (silver on left) for the Carrera

I got the car from a used car dealer that I found idly searching ebaymotors for 911 S' in a 100 mile radius. I've always wanted a 911, but was never at the point that I thought I could afford one. After I paid off my Nissan, the clear title started to burn a hole in my pocket, and I continually looked for 911's. I chose the S for the HP, and the only turbo 911's I could afford were 996's, and I really dislike the fried egg headlights on them (Sorry 996 brothers). I ended up deciding on a higher mileage (67,000) Carrera S that was being sold locally. I low balled the dealership initially back in November, not expecting to hear back, but they started negotiations with me. I expected them to sell it out from under me as I kept negotiating down the price, and up on my trade in. I finally got him to go from XX,XXX down to XX,XXX (edited for sale, sorry) and from 27,000 on my trade in, to 29,000 over the period of a couple e-mails. I went to see the car in person, and I was somewhat disappointed in the condition to what I thought I saw in the dealer pictures. Various small scratches and minute chips in the black laquer paint on the center console and black plastics. The PCM had a pretty big scratch on it, the cup holder wouldn't close, and the driver inside door handle was loose. One of the rims had a little curb rash, and on start up, the starter seemed a little weak (battery?); he said it was from sitting too long, but seeing as he had put a new battery in it, I'm guessing he had the same problem when he got it, and tried to fix it with a new batt. I only talked him down another 500, and a free tank of gas (whatever) and was on my way. Maybe not the best deal, but to be honest, the drive home was superb and I didn't really care. The Nissan I traded in had a crack in the rear bumper from someone parking too close to me, and the front bumper was showing bondo work through the paint from where I removed the emblem previously (ouch) but he didn't notice, lol.

Despite the minor faults, the car is great. It drives amazing, and is way different than the Nissan. Super tight, silky smooth, and planted. The Nismo was a little too stiff, but I love how I can choose stiff or smooth with the PASM system on the Porsche. Now the projects begin to fix the niggly bugs with the car, and I hope the process helps others who read this, and have high mileage 911's.

Some pictures of her, a week after purchasing, also just after the rain.

Last edited by Equinox; 09-14-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:08 AM
The Plan/Issues to fix:

1. Loose door handle on inside (Fixed 12/22/11, will chronicle)
2. Replace stock PCM, it's great, but no Nav, and the one in this car is a little scratched (Replaced 12/28/11)
3. Weak intermittent start-up, Failed Alternator Cable Assy (Fixed 01/14/12)
4. Cup holder won't close (Fixed 01/04/12)
5. A/C switches gummed up, replace/repair (Replaced 05/17/12)
6. Slight wind noise from pass window when there is a crosswind, (Fixed 05/08/12)
7. Intermittent chirp on start-up, bendix drive on starter failing (Replaced 05/08/12)
8. Missing owner's manual (Replaced 12/27/12)
9. Door sill trunk rocker switch broken off (Fixed 01/09/12)
10. White smoke on start-up, Air oil separator failure (Fixed 01/15/12)

Mods to do:

Custom Texas Plates (Ordered) Installed
Dark tint (Local) Installed
LED Tails (SpeedsterSource) Installed
LED DRL (eBay) Installed
Change Emblems (Hood / 911 S) Removed Rear
Ducktail Spoiler (Mishadesigns.com) Installed
Black Wheels (www.GetYourWheels.com) Installed

Maintenance:
Replaced in cabin filter 12/11 @ 68k (eBay, Mann Filter CUK3360, ~$30)
Replaced Drive belt 01/12 @ 69k (O'reilly's Auto Parts, ~ $24)
Oil and Filter Changed 05/08 @ 74K (Mobil 1 of course)
Spark Plugs replaced 09/10 @ 77K (NGK, O'Reilly's 2.44 a piece)
Alternator/Alternator Cable replaced (see #3)
Air Oil Separator replaced (see #10)
Starter replaced (see #7)

Last edited by Equinox; 09-14-2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:14 AM
Trusted Retailers (Have experience purchasing from)
www.suncoastparts.com New OEM Parts
www.dcauto.com Used/New Old Stock etc. OEM Parts
Euromotorspeed @ ebaymotors.com Double DIN Radio Dash Kits
www.GetYourWheels.com Wheels and Tires, neg. through board

Retailers I have yet to do business with, but intend to
www.bumperplugs.com (Recommended)
www.dectane.de Lighting (Recommended/Researched)

Retailers not in good standing

(hopefully not a placeholder)

Last edited by Equinox; 05-19-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:45 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
The start up issue is likely a alternator cable, it is a common issue on the 06's.

The wind noise is likely a wind noise caused by the mirror.

The AC switch and cup holders can be found at a parts recycler DCAuto.

If you need stock parts, contact Ric@Suncoast Porsche

Welcome to 6speed!

Old 12-27-2011, 06:55 AM
ELUSIVE will become famous soon enoughELUSIVE will become famous soon enough
Congrats on the new car.
Enjoy it!!

Old 12-27-2011, 07:05 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to behold
Congrats on the car! Let me know if we can help with any parts for her.

ryan@suncoastparts.com

Old 12-27-2011, 07:06 AM
Originally Posted by NorthVan
The start up issue is likely a alternator cable, it is a common issue on the 06's.

The wind noise is likely a wind noise caused by the mirror.

The AC switch and cup holders can be found at a parts recycler DCAuto.

If you need stock parts, contact Ric@Suncoast Porsche

Welcome to 6speed!
Thanks for the help and welcome, NorthVan!

And to Ryan - already did!
Yesterday I patronized Suncoast parts and purchased:

Replacement Cup Holder Assembly @ $150

A/C Controls (on special order ) @ $550 (Cancelled, Sorry Suncoast!)

Owner's Manual (was missing)@ $29

Owner's Manual Case @ $28

Clear Side Marker Light Set @ $30

Replacement Door Sill Trunk Switch (was snapped off) @ $63

Battery Maintainer @ $56

Replacement Lighter Plug @ $15
I don't smoke, but just for completeness, as it was missing.

Last edited by Equinox; 12-28-2011 at 05:10 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Well I talked to Ryan at Suncoast (who is in this thread!) and cancelled my order on the A/C Control Module. He was more than happy to help, and went ahead and credited the account. A little while later I received a follow up call from a Shawn at Suncoast, just to ask if there was anything she could help with, having seen that I cancelled the order on that particular part. She wanted to make sure that I didn't have to meet any deadline, or had to have the part, and that she couldn't help me out with expedited shipping or anything like that. I explained that I initially was somewhat "flakey" about spending 550$ on a module for the dash, and with the special order e-mail I received, that I decided to go ahead and try and perform the repair myself. She was more than happy to help out, and understood. She explained that they would have it by 29 Dec anyhow, and if I ever needed too, it would be available.

Reason I mention this is that currently there is a thread in the 997 forum explaining how much Porsche dealerships in general have great sales dept, but poor service departments. I have no personal experience to corroborate this, but I do know that the parts dept at Suncoast rocks Thanks Ryan and Shawn

Update: Just talked to Ric@Suncoast, and went ahead and ordered the Alternator cable between the starter and alternator. I actually had heard previously that this happens with the 2006's, and makes sense to me since my battery is returning good voltage. Cost 90$, and did 2 day air leaving tomorrow. Should have it Friday, I'll chronicle the install here.

Last edited by Equinox; 12-28-2011 at 04:51 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:03 PM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Equinox
Well I talked to Ryan at Suncoast (who is in this thread!) and cancelled my order on the A/C Control Module. He was more than happy to help, and went ahead and credited the account. A little while later I received a follow up call from a woman at Suncoast, just to ask if there was anything she could help with, having seen that I cancelled the order on that particular part. She wanted to make sure that I didn't have to meet any deadline, or had to have the part, and that she couldn't help me out with expedited shipping or anything like that. I explained that I initially was somewhat "flakey" about spending 550$ on a module for the dash, and with the special order e-mail I received, that I decided to go ahead and try and perform the repair myself. She was more than happy to help out, and understood. She explained that they would have it by 29 Dec anyhow, and if I ever needed too, it would be available.

Reason I mention this is that currently there is a thread in the 997 forum explaining how much Porsche dealerships in general have great sales dept, but poor service departments. I have no personal experience to corroborate this, but I do know that the parts dept at Suncoast rocks Thanks Ryan and (woman's name I forgot ).

Thank you for the kind words, and if there is anything else we can help you out with in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

PS. The womans name is Shawn.

ryan@suncoastparts.com

Old 12-27-2011, 05:52 PM
Porsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nice
Congratulations, looks like you are well on your way to a fully refurbished 911 with the help of a good parts dealership. It makes a huge difference.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:19 AM
As I updated in my last post, on the advice of NorthVan, and a little research, I went ahead and ordered the alternator cable for my '06. Been having a weak intermittent start up problem, and the voltage to my battery checks out. I haven't read the voltage at the starter while cranking, but I will attempt to before installing the new cable. I 2nd day air shipped it from Suncoast, so I expect it Friday. Thanks Ric! (It is Ric, no 'K', right Ryan?)

ABOVE: #14 What I assume to be the alternator cable on the 911. Purchased for approx. $90 by calling Suncoast. Noting the configuration, you will notice that despite the name, the cable also supplies power to the starter - causing weak start up if cable is failing.

Thank you for the words '323

Also - I updated my first post with pictures of my previous cars if you want a good laugh at my 2nd, and most modded car (protege5).

Last edited by Equinox; 12-28-2011 at 05:29 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:32 AM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Equinox,

Great story for sure! I got my 997 on november 17th and out of all the 20 cars I went to see, ALL of them had the center console trashed with scratches and rubbing marks. The door handle, door finishers (switches) and handbrake/shiftknob were all scratched/busted. Thank good everything can be fixed these days. Got my painted console from Eric at Bumper Plugs. If you haven't think about it, I will suggest you do. Also replaced the door finishers, shift ****, hand brake and console lid. Now the car looks like new. It's amazing the transformation. Good luck on the cable replacement. I hear is a ***** to get it out.
When you get the LED, get the dectane ones... pretty nice!

Last edited by JoelPirela; 12-28-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:35 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Glad to point you in the right direction on the parts, you seem to be very thorough with your posts.

How did you fix your PCM?

Old 12-28-2011, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Glad to point you in the right direction on the parts, you seem to be very thorough with your posts.

How did you fix your PCM?
Fixed PCM problem, not PCM.

While working on the door handle spring in the car, I notice the speakers would intermittently "thump" once every 5 minutes or so while the car is off. This is indicative of a bad ground or possibly a short inside the radio. I ordered the Double Din Dash from Euromotorspeed on eBay motors, and had him overnight it. If anyone has dealt with Loi, that's his name btw, you know he/she is amazing. I simply sent a little message to them on eBay after I bought the item, asked if they would ship via overnight and invoice me through paypal. In about an hour I got a "no problem" and my package was on its way, my tracking number on the phone. Loi said I would get it at 3pm next day, and I got it at 1pm next day. Damn liar.Lol. Anyhow, I replaced the PCM and the bad ground thump went away. Looking closely at it, as well as my A/C controls, it appears coffee/coke was spilled on the center console at one time; most likely causing the short I was noticing.

ABOVE: Kenwood Excelon DNX9140 DVD/GPS & Double DIN Dash kit from EuroMotorspeed

ABOVE: GPS Antenna mounting location. The wire feeds between the dash and windshield, and over to the driverside, along the door jamb, and under the dash to the radio.

ABOVE: Bluetooth Mic mounting location on top of the driverside A-Pillar. Wire feeds between windshield and pillar, down to the dash, and then same as GPS Antenna.

Last edited by Equinox; 12-29-2011 at 06:21 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: High Mileage '06 Carrera S Journal [Equinox]