997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Refinished climate control buttons

Old 11-26-2013, 04:20 PM
sixgun95 is on a distinguished road
Let me know, very skeptical that a sticker will fix this. All I se is the edges rolling up and looking even worse.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:27 PM
flatsixrocks is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sixgun95
Let me know, very skeptical that a sticker will fix this. All I se is the edges rolling up and looking even worse.
Time will tell, but for the last months it's been looking good on my car. I doubt edges will roll up (If you take your time with the installation and follow the instructions) because the stickers are "Made to measure" and there are no "flying edges" at all, it adheres strong.

No need to say that after installing the kit I'm being careful with the buttons so that the mess doesn't happen again lol

Old 11-26-2013, 11:27 PM
Vital5er is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by flatsixrocks
Time will tell, but for the last months it's been looking good on my car. I doubt edges will roll up (If you take your time with the installation and follow the instructions) because the stickers are "Made to measure" and there are no "flying edges" at all, it adheres strong. No need to say that after installing the kit I'm being careful with the buttons so that the mess doesn't happen again lol
Just ordered mine. Thanks for the sharing. I also wanted to ask, did you just overlay it on or did you try peeling it all off first to clean it before putting it on? I also noticed on your picture that It seems dimmer compared to the other buttons, is that just a shadowing effect or is it really that way? In any case, can't wait to get mine, definitely better than the sharpie idea.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by Vital5er
Just ordered mine. Thanks for the sharing. I also wanted to ask, did you just overlay it on or did you try peeling it all off first to clean it before putting it on? I also noticed on your picture that It seems dimmer compared to the other buttons, is that just a shadowing effect or is it really that way? In any case, can't wait to get mine, definitely better than the sharpie idea.
Hi Vital5er,

I overlaid one of the buttons and I kind of peeled off before the other one. Definitely better result in the second option. Other option is try to fill the gaps created in the peeled zones with something like nail polish, so that you create an even surface prior to the installation process

The buttons are now a bit dimmer, you will notice the finish is a bit more "glossy" than the OEM, but nothing that will catch your attention the second day...

Another trick if you want brighten icons at night is to peel off the area of the icons prior to installing the decals, this way more light will pass through the sticker, brighting it more.

Last edited by flatsixrocks; 11-27-2013 at 01:49 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:21 PM
VivaDnA is on a distinguished road
HVAC Switches

Great post! Thank you! Going to try this myself. Mine started wearing off soon after I purchased the car. I wonder if Porsche changed coating on these after the earlier 997's like mine started showing wear too soon?

Old 11-27-2013, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by VivaDnA
Great post! Thank you! Going to try this myself. Mine started wearing off soon after I purchased the car. I wonder if Porsche changed coating on these after the earlier 997's like mine started showing wear too soon?
As far as I know they didnīt make a change until MY2010

Old 11-28-2013, 07:44 AM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by flatsixrocks
As far as I know they didnīt make a change until MY2010
they actually changed them during the 2006 model run. If your unit says a/c off, you have the new buttons. The older models say econ.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:05 AM
AZPete is on a distinguished road
I have an 07 C2S and my climate button says ECO.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by White Rock
they actually changed them during the 2006 model run. If your unit says a/c off, you have the new buttons. The older models say econ.
Originally Posted by AZPete
I have an 07 C2S and my climate button says ECO.

I think itīs also related with country the car was sold

Last edited by flatsixrocks; 11-28-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:48 PM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
I think it's funny that some people ***** about some "less than showroom stock" look that a really great/cheap/easy solution might offer, while others just go with a Sharpie and say screw it. No in-between whatsoever. Ha!

Old 11-29-2013, 03:28 AM
Originally Posted by blakt out
I think it's funny that some people ***** about some "less than showroom stock" look that a really great/cheap/easy solution might offer, while others just go with a Sharpie and say screw it. No in-between whatsoever. Ha!
Thatīs completely true amigo!

Old 12-12-2013, 11:58 AM
So today I decided to re-apply the other sticker left I had from the climarepair.com kit

Last time after installing the TEMP sticker (left one) I noticed I left some black sharpie, resulting in a not 100% bright icon at night. I took the sticker off (took a while, it has good glue I guess), rub out the sharpie rest making sure all the zone where the letter steps is white, and re-installed. Donīt have pictures of this second installation but the result is quite impressive:

- First, because I felt much more confident installing the sticker (my third sticker installed)

- Second, because now I can really read the TEMP icon, no matter how dark it is

Will post pictures soon

Old 12-14-2013, 07:29 PM
Vital5er is on a distinguished road
Just did mine today. Verdict: you get what you pay for. Definitely better than how it was before but at the end of the day, it's a sticker, and it looks like a sticker so don't expect it to be as good as oem. I figured, I'll keep it like this until I could afford both time and money to replace it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2677506828.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	416.3 KB
ID:	311508

Before

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-124090219.jpg
Views:	3291
Size:	471.9 KB
ID:	311509

After

Old 12-14-2013, 09:42 PM
sixgun95 is on a distinguished road
Definitely better, and as always you get what you pay for - a sticker. Live-n-learn right! Like grandpa always said, do it right or don't do it at all.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:26 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I just applied a pair. Lousy stickers, don't fit right: they're pinched in the center where the "fan" or "temp" logo are. And it's glossy where the natural application is matte. Pretty pricey piece of crap, I'll be asking for a refund. Worthless piece of sheiss if you ask me.
CATTMAN

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Refinished climate control buttons