997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Electronics just kinda doing what they want

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 01:27 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Don't mess around, spend the extra few $ and get an OEM, they always sem better then the aftermarket ones.
"Conventional Wisdom" (whatever that's worth) doesn't necessarily confirm that OEM is better. Folks have been replacing OEM with Everstart from Wal-Mart and Interstate with no problems - much less expensive and the warranty is head and shoulders better than Porsche - no 6,000/year requirment, usually 3 year free replacement plus prorata after. Try that with an OEM if you drive less than 6,000/year.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Yes. You might search for replacements. I'm using Interstate. I seldom see a recommendation for oem battery if only for warranty issues.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:52 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
"Conventional Wisdom" (whatever that's worth) doesn't necessarily confirm that OEM is better. Folks have been replacing OEM with Everstart from Wal-Mart and Interstate with no problems - much less expensive and the warranty is head and shoulders better than Porsche - no 6,000/year requirment, usually 3 year free replacement plus prorata after. Try that with an OEM if you drive less than 6,000/year.
I ran an interstate in my car and hated it, the OEM battery was much better then the new interstate, even though the OEM was 4 years old. Had it checked out by the shop that sold it to me.

My original Touareg Battery was replaced after 8 years of use, and I bought a new one for $30 less then the Interstate equivalent.

My original point is, you might be able to find one that works as well or you might be able to find one that is cheaper, but you could also end up with one that doesn't fit well or work as well. At the end of the day, you have an expensive car that you are going to put a possible PIA battery in it for a few dollars, no thanks. Spend the money, buy the OEM, get 4 good trouble free years out of it, as well as knowing it fits in the right place properly.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by NorthVan
I ran an interstate in my car and hated it, the OEM battery was much better then the new interstate, even though the OEM was 4 years old. Had it checked out by the shop that sold it to me.

My original Touareg Battery was replaced after 8 years of use, and I bought a new one for $30 less then the Interstate equivalent.

My original point is, you might be able to find one that works as well or you might be able to find one that is cheaper, but you could also end up with one that doesn't fit well or work as well. At the end of the day, you have an expensive car that you are going to put a possible PIA battery in it for a few dollars, no thanks. Spend the money, buy the OEM, get 4 good trouble free years out of it, as well as knowing it fits in the right place properly.
Ah, anecdotal evidence: I got 3 years out of my oem battery. Replaced with a higher rated aftermarket that bolted right in. Have had that for 3 years now and it is strong. The real point though is that Porsche will not honor a battery claim unless you drive 6k miles a year. There is no such milage restriction on an aftermarket. Indeed my tech told of returning an Interstate after 2 years for a prorated replacement. The car had been sitting in the garage. Worth consideration whether it cost 30$ more or 30$ less. No one is trying to save a few bucks on their battery. In general I am on the oem parts bandwagon, but for batteries I consult the Bible: Consumer's Reports