997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Need advice on a 997.1 s puchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 04:48 PM
charris1003 is on a distinguished road
Need advice on a 997.1 s puchase

Hello gentlemen and ladies as well. I have been looking around this site for awhile now and have been looking for a 997s for a few months. I have never owned a 911 but have always loved them. What sealed the deal for me was the purchase of a Cayenne S for my wife last year. The M5 is sold and there is an empty spot in the garage. I think I have found the one but I have a few concerns. It is a 2008 997S with 32,000 miles loaded with aero kit, sport exhaust, etc. I pulled the carfax and have some concerns.
08/17/10
At 19308 miles it notes the transmission was removed to complete repair, alternator/generator replaced, maintenance performed, flywheel/flexplate replaced, master clyinder replaced, clutch system bled, battery replaced, transmission checked, and intake manifold gasket replaced.
12/13/10
At 22553 miles , transmission removed again, driveshaft seal replaced, engine cleaned, front crankshaft oil seal replaced.
01/08/2011 vehicle offered for sale
01/10/2011 sold at auction

Seems like a lot of issues 3000 miles apart, also I wonder why a Porsche dealership would have that car in inventory and send it to auction rather than CPO it. Am I just paranoid or should I really be concerned? It was put into service in December of 08 so there should be around 11 months or 18000 miles or so left of factory warranty. Thank you in advance for your input.

Last edited by charris1003; 01-29-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:04 PM
96redLT4 will become famous soon enough96redLT4 will become famous soon enough
That is too much baggage for me. I would keep looking. There will be lots of deals on pristine cars once people start trading up to the 991.
J

Old 01-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
Looks like Tolstoy wrote that list. It would have to be one heck of a deal. It could be a good car at this point. Are you feeling lucky?

Old 01-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Wow... Looks like the transmission was dropped 8 times. Once or twice is no big deal but yikes.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:48 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
You pasted in the same records 3 times. Looks like the kind of extra repair you would do near the end of warranty. Did you get the DME record? Lots of repair can be a sign of lots of abuse. Overrevs would tell part of the story. All depends on the price, the condition of the car and if it satisfies your list of needs.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by ryem3
You pasted in the same records 3 times. Looks like the kind of extra repair you would do near the end of warranty. Did you get the DME record? Lots of repair can be a sign of lots of abuse. Overrevs would tell part of the story. All depends on the price, the condition of the car and if it satisfies your list of needs.
Sorry, I'm not sure why it pasted like that. Transmission has been dropped twice. I can get the car for a very good price, (around 50k), which I think is agressive considering the year and mileage. Just concerned being that a dealership didn't want to CPO a car with miles that low that had never been in any type of accident.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:34 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
The question is 'will' the dealer CPO the car. Things like tires, brake pads and rotors will have to be replaced if they don't meet with CPO specs. The dealer will most likely add that to the cost of the car along with the cost of the CPO. So, ask if they will CPO the car and at what cost. If not ask why.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:19 PM
tredirtyfive can only hope to improve
I was in the same boat few months back, and picked up a .1S but then traded in for a GT3 RS last week. I'd suggest keep looking as there are many .1 with fully loaded in pristine condition selling at decent price. Have you ever consider .2 ?

Old 01-30-2012, 05:39 AM
Originally Posted by tredirtyfive
I was in the same boat few months back, and picked up a .1S but then traded in for a GT3 RS last week. I'd suggest keep looking as there are many .1 with fully loaded in pristine condition selling at decent price. Have you ever consider .2 ?
Haven't really looked at a .2. I may do that.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:17 AM
cavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to behold
One possible argument is that 1) maintenance was being done and 2) problems that might otherwise surface have been dealt with by previous owners. If you looked at the list of things my car had done under warranty, it might put you off, but I've only had one unscheduled maintenance event in the period after the warranty expired. Definitely ask the questions about the CPO (mine WAS CPO'd) and the DME.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:14 AM
b2sc is on a distinguished road
The transmission issue listed could simply have been a IMS replacement which is a good thing. Hard to tell w/o more info but that doesn't make it a high risk at all...

Old 01-30-2012, 12:11 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
My car had almost all the same things replaced - more overzealous dealer than real "need". Have them provide the DME and then get back to us. HOWEVER, if they would NOT CPO the car, I'd really want to know why. That answer is more important than the warranty itself.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:21 PM
PasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to all
looked at that car. Tranny removed to replace failed slave cyl. Then RMS started leaking. not biggie... but car was repainted on 5(!) panels... and its not on carfax.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by PasPar2
looked at that car. Tranny removed to replace failed slave cyl. Then RMS started leaking. not biggie... but car was repainted on 5(!) panels... and its not on carfax.
Really, the white one? Where did you see it?

Last edited by charris1003; 01-30-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:02 PM
PasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to all
on autotrader, called spoke with seller. looked at carfax, had a ppi done at Berth-Smith (local dealer). Back on the search now. whole lot of wasted time on a less than truthful seller.... but PPI money well spent.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need advice on a 997.1 s puchase