997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

$2 DRL solution for fog lights

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:48 AM
mark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud of
Last weekend when I experienced first hand the batter drain issue with the $2 hack, I reversed the hack and put everything back to the original factory.

A personal decision but I actually like the idea of having a choice of when my DRL lights come on. So I'm not pursuing the diode option. Good luck with all if your pursuing the diode hack - I think it should work without any issues.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:12 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
i have diode for a long time now, car was left in both 'home' and 'off' switch positions - no issues whatsoever, just as expected.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:13 PM
cavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to behold
I had gone a week without driving mine, lights left in home position, and it fired right up this morning. I'm still using the original method.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:17 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cavsct94
lights left in home position
that is probably why.

still a diode is safer. it absolutely prevents any chance for a drain to happen and is imho easier to do than a tap.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Austex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud of
I've had the $2 DRL hack for about 3 weeks now keeping it in the "Home" position without any issues yet. I usually drive my 911 every other day.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Mdhayes is on a distinguished road
How to get the switch out

hi, just purchased 2006 Carrera from South Carolina. I have fogs and purchased the wire tap, but I can't get the switch out, and gave up on pulling out the dash after 10 screws and 45 minutes. Is there an easy way to pull the switch out to access the wire harness? I have an appointment at the dealer next week but I would rather use your DRL/Fog light solution. Need this done to get my Ontario permit.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Old 06-29-2012, 06:01 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mdhayes
hi, just purchased 2006 Carrera from South Carolina. I have fogs and purchased the wire tap, but I can't get the switch out, and gave up on pulling out the dash after 10 screws and 45 minutes. Is there an easy way to pull the switch out to access the wire harness? I have an appointment at the dealer next week but I would rather use your DRL/Fog light solution. Need this done to get my Ontario permit.

Thanks in advance

Mike
You just need to push inward and turn clockwise to release the switch (once all the way clockwise pull toward you). If it does not want to release and pop out you are probably pushing too hard.

Last edited by ///MJFDDS; 06-29-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:04 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
If you're a picture type of a person, here's the instruction from MaCarbon:

997 CF Headlight Switch Surround Install Instructions.pdf

Thanks in advance

Mike

Old 06-29-2012, 11:42 PM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of

Thanks in advance

Mike
LMAO, 10 screws and 45 minutes later? You can turn Daytime running lights on within the PSM, it's under individual settings. Members don't want DRL's (meaning running headlights) they only want the LED's on, which is the purpose of this hack. Running LED "Fogs" only! The module takes about 2 seconds to remove. I suggest 911 ownership will be expensive for you.

Last edited by MBENZF1; 06-29-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:47 PM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cavsct94
I had gone a week without driving mine, lights left in home position, and it fired right up this morning. I'm still using the original method.
I went a month, it will be dead soon. Have fun popping the frunk!

Old 07-01-2012, 01:25 PM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
Utkinpol II with Pictures & Tips

I completed the Utkinpol II DRL hack today. Here is my experience with some tips and pictures...

(1) DIODE

As suggested, I purchased the IN4001 Micromini Silicone Diode 50V/1A from Radio Shack.

(2) REMOVE LIGHT SWITCH

I removed the light switch by pushing in the light switch ****, in the OFF position, and turning gently clockwise until it clicked (half way between the OFF and HOME positions. Then the switch just slides out. Unplug the Light switch from the wiring harness and plug.

TIP: Be careful... The beautiful paint on the circular trim piece that seats the light switch is extremely delicate. Even slightly scraping it with the wire harness will cause it to peel. I suggest placing or taping an index card there so you don't accidentally remove your paint. Do not put tape on the trim paint itself, however. Now, I will be shopping for Sand Beige interior touch-up paint to repair this. I might try Testors (http://www.testors.com/products/543912) or Home Depot color code 697912143052 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-up-paint.html).

(3) REMOVE THE WIRE PLUG

TIP: No need to cut the black wire-tie. Here's what I did...

Instead of cutting the wire-tie, I was able raise the release clip (see picture 1), insert a small screw driver in the slot next to the clip, and slide the plug out of the plug cover.

The yellow/white and red/yellow wires are clearly visible once the plug is out.

(4) PREPARE DIODE

TIP: No need for shrink tubing or wire tape. Here's what I did...

The diode can fit nicely inside the plug cover. Bend the wire leads 90 degrees, close to the diode, as shown in picture 2. This will be just wide enough for the diode to fit between the yellow/white and the red/yellow wires on the plug. Cut the diode leads to a length of about 1/2"; the lead lengths should be long enough to reach up to the windowed metal "triangles" shown in picture 3.

(5) INSERT DIODE

Slide the diode leads into the plug, along the yellow/white and the red/yellow wires. The cathode (the side of the diode with the silver band) must be inserted along the red/yellow wire. Again, picture 3 shows how this should look.

TIP: The diode side with the silver band goes with red/yellow wire.

(6) REPLACE PLUG COVER & REINSTALL SWITCH

Slide the plug with the diode back into the plug cover, and snap in place. Reconnect the plug and wire harness to the light switch. Then, insert the switch into the circular trim piece on the dash, gently push in the light switch ****, and turn counter-clockwise.

(7) MY EXPERIENCE

I typically keep the light switch in the OFF position, but I will now begin using the HOME position.

The bumper-lights (DRL) turn on when the light switch is in the HOME position. When the car is off, after a few minutes, the bumper lights turn off automatically.

I noticed that, if I unlock the car using the remote key, the bumper lights turn on. Then, if I do not open the door to start the car, the bumper lights turn off after a few minutes, but the interior door lights stay on. After some more minutes, the car automatically locks itself and the interior door lights turn off. I did not notice this before and it might just be normal behavior. Does anyone know if this is normal?

Attached Images     

Last edited by PSPorsche; 07-01-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
musicmovesme is on a distinguished road
wow this is awesome! thanks for the high res pics. so just to be clear you didn't actually remove the wires from the plug as some were doing previously? i purchase the same diode from radio shack but mine doesn't have the grey stripe. is that really important? Thanks

Old 07-01-2012, 06:18 PM
na011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nice
Originally Posted by musicmovesme
i purchase the same diode from radio shack but mine doesn't have the grey stripe. is that really important? Thanks
Yes it does. The grey/silver stripe is the cathode side (-). The way a diode works, is it controls which direction the voltage will flow. Thus you need know which side is the cathode or anode.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:10 PM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
so just to be clear you didn't actually remove the wires from the plug as some were doing previously?
Correct. I did NOT pull out the individual wires. The diode lead wires fit snugly enough in the holes to make make good electrical contact. The way I put the diode inside the plug cover makes sure it will not fall out. (Besides, it looks better, for us OCD types ) Also, I did not remove Porsche's little black zip wire tie, so everything remains tight and secure.

mine doesn't have the grey stripe. is that really important?
As na001 pointed out, this is important. Look at the back of the packet from Radio Shack. There should be a diagram that tells you how to identify which side is the CATHODE.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Doug L. is on a distinguished road
PSPorsche,

Thanks for posting these photos. My front LED's arrive via UPS tomorrow. I plan to install them in the next day or two. I intend to use your technique and attempt to insert the diode without removing the wires.

Also thanks for the warning about paint damage around the light switch trim piece. I will take precautions to hopefully cause little to no damage. Rep point for you! Thanks again!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: $2 DRL solution for fog lights