997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Change face dials- Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 08:22 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
You need to carefully pry the plastic clips to get them to dislodge.

Top clips are very hard, as they are hidden. I increased the brightness in the next photo to show you that the engagement point is from above. The plastic wedge is on the upper part of the rear gauge housing.

It is difficult to disengage all three without breaking one.

Attached Images  
Old 03-12-2012, 08:23 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Next photo shows where the inserts (red arrows from first pic) slide into:

Attached Images  
Old 03-12-2012, 08:26 PM
Needles can be removed without tools - just don't wiggle too much. But gauge face overlays will not come off without cutting the rubber grommets under them.

Attached Images  

Last edited by bbywu; 03-12-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Beru is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bbywu
Needles can be removed without tools - just don't wiggle too much. But gauge face overlays will not come off without cutting the rubber grommets under them.

Great pics and excellent explanations of the procedure! thanks a lot !

Old 03-13-2012, 11:02 AM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Silverbullet911
I was considering converting the MPH to KPH, but decided to try the digital read out before I made the conversion. I never use the speedo dial, but rather the digital at all times...
Completely agree with SilverBullet911, Realistically I don't understand why you don't just change it to KPH on the digital readout and save yourself the hassle. I'm assuming you have an automatic as I rarely look at anything other than my revs/digital read out.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by Beru
Great pics and excellent explanations of the procedure! thanks a lot !
Thank you, and you are welcome. It is a little difficult, and you need to take precautions to prevent damaging the acrylic face, but it is doable.

I forgot to mention (and added it to above) that the screws in the back need to be removed before the two halts of the shell will come apart.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:13 AM
jurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond repute
Gauge face replacement

Great Post. Thanks to those that have posted pictures.

How about a hybrid approach?

It seem fairly easy to get the gauge cluster out of the car (see the first How-To link). The issue that is rightfully re stated several times is the difficulty of removal of the indicator needles and the gauge faces themselves.

There are several reputable automotive speedo shops around (Palo Alto Speedometer is one) that could perform the more difficult aspects of the face swap.

By removing the cluster yourself, the cluster could be sent or taken to a reputable shop to complete the face work. This saves the shop cost of removal and allows those far from a shop to send the cluster in for the work to be complete.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:36 PM
mcurtisal is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Thanks for the valuable info. The pre-owned Turbo I bought had the original guage color changed with an overlay that didn't line up right. Dealership wanted to change the whole cluster for $3,000 plus labor. I bought the FVD guage faces and they fit perfectly. The install took about 1.5 hours and I only had to make one adjustment to the tachometer needle after putting it all back together. I used one of the plastic prybars that Suncoast sells and the needles came off with no problems, although it was very nerve wracking to do it! Only thing I would do differently is go with a color like red or yellow. I chose white and it's a little "plain" for all the effort and $$ I put into it. Oh well, at least it looks good.