997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

tmps sensor battery replacement design flaw?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 07:47 PM
socialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Tarek307
rite on, if you need a ride to drop it off or anything let me know!
thanks Tarek, will do

Old 11-06-2012, 09:37 AM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by socialpro
Thinking of giving it a try...Its less than 1/2 price of OEM...and this apparently being a 'consumable' item like tires and such I'll be happy if it holds up for more than a year.

http://oewheelsllc.com/TPMS-Sensors_...re-Sensors-SET
Did you order the 333 MHz or the 433 MHz models? How did you figure out the frequency to use besides opening a wheel?

Thanks
Yves

Old 11-06-2012, 01:06 PM
socialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to all
Originally Posted by yvesvidal
Did you order the 333 MHz or the 433 MHz models? How did you figure out the frequency to use besides opening a wheel?

Thanks
Yves
Dealers can figure it out by the VIN. Called suncoast porsche they confirmed the 433 MHz.

Last edited by socialpro; 11-06-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:12 PM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks. I am eager to see if the sensors you ordered are going to work on your car. I will be following your steps.....

Yves

Old 11-06-2012, 01:15 PM
Great, keep you updated...hopefully in by end of the week.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by socialpro
I can accept the $100 car battery replacement every few years -- but a $600-1000 tire pressure battery replacement where the entire sensor needs to be replaced 'feels' unjust. Had a C6 corvette owner today mention that the TPMS in that IS an actual battery replacement that pops in/out of the sensor. Im SURE that wouldn't have been too hard for the porsche engineers to devise - but hey they gotta make $ somehow

I hear you. But the cost of $600-1000 is more than just the sensors, its the unmounting of tires, remounting, balancing, etc. If you change the sensors when you get new tires mounted to replace worn ones, a lot of that cost disappears.

I'm sure Porsche looked at what brand of sensors to use for the car and came to a decision its more reliable/business beneficial to have non-serviceable TPMS sensors. Though I don't think the case was that they would make huge profits out of using the non-serviceable versions. If you want to replace the battery on the serviceable version, you would still need to pull the wheels, remove the tires, remount the tires and re-inflate.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by Minok
I hear you. But the cost of $600-1000 is more than just the sensors, its the unmounting of tires, remounting, balancing, etc. If you change the sensors when you get new tires mounted to replace worn ones, a lot of that cost disappears.

I'm sure Porsche looked at what brand of sensors to use for the car and came to a decision its more reliable/business beneficial to have non-serviceable TPMS sensors. Though I don't think the case was that they would make huge profits out of using the non-serviceable versions. If you want to replace the battery on the serviceable version, you would still need to pull the wheels, remove the tires, remount the tires and re-inflate.
The cost for wheel removal is <$100 for all 4 with installing sensors so a small fraction of the entire job. Whats appalling is the useful 'life' of these sensors that is designed to last only 5-6 years and then be tossed. To boost I just replaced wheels / tires less than a month ago so the least that could of been done is a service life indicator on battery life to make you think twice about replacing them 'early' .

Old 11-10-2012, 01:49 PM
norton has a spectacular aura aboutnorton has a spectacular aura aboutnorton has a spectacular aura about
TPMS Deactivation..

I too was frustrated by this very expensive "disposable" item-- tpms transmitters-- and not being to find any reasonable costing replacements. I read something someplace that indicated most TPMS transmitters were subject to such a harsh life-- vibration, bumps, moisture, heat, etc-- that they were "potted" in to preserve their function-- and of course there is always the liability thing going on..

Here in Phoenix I just had Don Jackson Junior (indy service) VAGCom disable the dispaly on my 2006 c2s-- no more warnings on the dash. I think 2006 is the last year you can legally get away with that. Cost me like $75 if I remember right. The tech was very effective and excited to do it since I think this was the first car they had ever done this on.

I religiously monitor my tire pressure anyway, so I don't feel the need for the TPMS system. When China starts making reasonable replacements-- I go that route....

Old 11-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by norton
I too was frustrated by this very expensive "disposable" item-- tpms transmitters-- and not being to find any reasonable costing replacements. I read something someplace that indicated most TPMS transmitters were subject to such a harsh life-- vibration, bumps, moisture, heat, etc-- that they were "potted" in to preserve their function-- and of course there is always the liability thing going on..

Here in Phoenix I just had Don Jackson Junior (indy service) VAGCom disable the dispaly on my 2006 c2s-- no more warnings on the dash. I think 2006 is the last year you can legally get away with that. Cost me like $75 if I remember right. The tech was very effective and excited to do it since I think this was the first car they had ever done this on.

I religiously monitor my tire pressure anyway, so I don't feel the need for the TPMS system. When China starts making reasonable replacements-- I go that route....
Oh man where were you a week ago! Having aftermarket TPMS shipped to me today was gonna try those out - but maybe I should go the disabling route! Where in Phoenix is this shop and how long ago did you have this done? Was it relatively straightforward to get it done? Instead of fooling around with replacements on and off I definitely do not oppose checking tire pressures every so often.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:03 PM
Socialpro,

seriously, instead of trying to disable the TPMS alarms on the dashboard, where do we stand with the replacement sensors? Did you get them installed? Is the system capable of reading the pressure correctly?

I am hoping to go the same route as you did and would love to hear from you.

Thanks in advance.
Yves

Old 11-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by yvesvidal
Socialpro,

seriously, instead of trying to disable the TPMS alarms on the dashboard, where do we stand with the replacement sensors? Did you get them installed? Is the system capable of reading the pressure correctly?

I am hoping to go the same route as you did and would love to hear from you.

Thanks in advance.
Yves
Sensors came in yesterday ... was too late to take the car up to get them to thrown on. Will get it done between Monday - Wednesday depending on work schedule - will keep you updated.

Also - sensors arrived with no 'receipt' or indication of any sort that they have been programmed for the 911. Keeping fingers crossed that everything plays out fine.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:23 PM
norton has a spectacular aura aboutnorton has a spectacular aura aboutnorton has a spectacular aura about
Disabling TPMS Daash error display....

Don Jackson Enterprises is on 19th ave between Hatcher and Peoria, if I remember right. Don Jr. runs the place and does great work for reasonable rates.

When I put on a new set of Hankooks all around, I just had Discount tire remove the transmitters and install metal valve stems. Discount told me that they would be unable to remove the transmitters if my c2s was a 2007 model-- due to the law.

One of the reaons 997's have the transmitters is because due to the extreme low bias of the tires, you can barely tell if your tire is really low on pressure or even flat. So if you pull the transmitters-- you have to be responsible to check your pressures and make sure they are safe.

PS-- I'm not happy with the Hankooks (v12)-- makes the car squirrelly-- more so than the P0's I had on before (but much cheaper...) Wouldn't do them again if I had known....

Old 11-13-2012, 10:27 AM
It WORKED!!

Installed 2 left side sensors (front and rears) ... thats what was showing up dead on the dash...and after reset etc sensors are working/reading fine! No more errors etc. Will change up my other two in the near future but so far all are now working. Long term longevity? Who knows...but for $40/a sensor and plug and play cannot be beat.

These were the ITM aftermarket TPMS sensors, purchased from OEWheels.

Last edited by socialpro; 11-13-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:36 AM
IslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of light
social pro, can you post a source or link to these TPMS sensors you bought at that price? I still am unable to find sensors for under $130 a piece.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:39 AM
These are the ones I purchased. Make sure what frequency you would need with the Porsche dealer.

These came for <$180 shipped to my door for ALL 4!

http://oewheelsllc.com/TPMS-Sensors_...re-Sensors-SET

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: tmps sensor battery replacement design flaw?!