997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

tmps sensor battery replacement design flaw?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 09:58 AM
socialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to all
tmps sensor battery replacement design flaw?!

TMPS sensors have been buggy the past month now has gotten to the point that it wont get out of reset mode / tpm inactive status. Browsing the forums it seems like 'batteries' are on their way out. Two questions

1.) When batteries go out it seems that the 'sensors' need to be replaced to the tune of $130+ a piece = so over a $500/600 job with the install. Is there just a way to replace the actual 'batteries' in the sensor and not the sensor itself? Why would the inherent design not allow for just a battery replacement (apart from porsche greed) ? A $600 'battery' job seems a little out of the ballpark especially because I just mounted new tires a few hundred miles ago so would have to dismount them again It seems like this is then a replacement item due for a change every 5-6 years that is not cheap and not covered by CPO either as its a 'battery' item.

2.) Is there just a way to disable the TPMS system completely so the error message goes away? I can check my own tire pressures the old fashioned way.

Thank you for all the help!

11/13 UPDATE: New ITM Aftermarket TPMS sensors came in and just got installed. Work great so far, all errors of dash are REMOVED! Cost of SENSOR = $180 for set of 4 VS $600+ FOR OEM! SAVINGS = $400+
Seems like a great alternative for this INEVITABLE change that comes up after 5-6 years of car ownership.

LONG TERM DURABILITY TO BE SEEN

Last edited by socialpro; 11-13-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:13 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
A dealer can do Option 2 but it may not pass State car inspection afterwards.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:38 AM
p's pcar will become famous soon enoughp's pcar will become famous soon enough
My TPMS were changed under CPO a few months ago. If you're still under CPO, see if it's still covered.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:14 PM
socialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to all
Originally Posted by p's pcar
My TPMS were changed under CPO a few months ago. If you're still under CPO, see if it's still covered.
CPO just ran out a few months back Ive read that not covered under CPO happy to hear you had better luck!

Anyone ever have any luck with aftermarket TPMS? Such as...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-TPMS-fits-...bd32ae&vxp=mtr

Old 11-04-2012, 12:51 PM
Derek is infamous around these partsDerek is infamous around these partsDerek is infamous around these partsDerek is infamous around these parts
I have been having problems with mine off and on.
Seems like it is usually inactive or system learning.
Took it to a tire shop and they put some meter next to it that checks the signal and battery. They said the sensor was ok.
Maybe there could be something wrong with the reciever?

Old 11-04-2012, 04:05 PM
I believe mine has the sensor going...been losing signal readings in left rear wheel past month on and off...

Has anyone here ever installed an aftermarket TPMS? I found a good review of the sensor (link given below) on the Cayman forums but still cant locate anyone trying anything other than OEM on the 997...

opinions? Thinking of giving it a try...Its less than 1/2 price of OEM...and this apparently being a 'consumable' item like tires and such I'll be happy if it holds up for more than a year.

http://oewheelsllc.com/TPMS-Sensors_...re-Sensors-SET

Might order them and be the guinea pig for this item. Seems like a TPMS replacement is inevitable after 5-6 years and theres gotta be a better alternative then paying $600 for essentially replacing batteries in your tires to read out tire pressure.

Last edited by socialpro; 11-04-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:23 AM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
Tire Rack sells them for $85 each. Still expensive but slightly less painful.

I have to change mine too, none of the sensors are working anymore (the car is 6 years old).

Yves

Old 11-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Figure the TPMS sensors, like the car battery, need to be replaced every 5-7 years. Its just part of the maintenance costs.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Ordered the aftermarket ones from oewheels.

After speaking to the rep there he said 'plug and play' no programming etc needed. Keeping fingers crossed thats the case paid <$180 for all 4.

Will report back after getting them installed this week. Figured this route will save me and all of you all $100s in the future on a throw away replaceable 'battery'. After hours of searching threads and seeing not a single person tried this (im quite amazed at that actually) im thrilled to be the guinea pig

Last edited by socialpro; 11-05-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by Minok
Figure the TPMS sensors, like the car battery, need to be replaced every 5-7 years. Its just part of the maintenance costs.
I can accept the $100 car battery replacement every few years -- but a $600-1000 tire pressure battery replacement where the entire sensor needs to be replaced 'feels' unjust. Had a C6 corvette owner today mention that the TPMS in that IS an actual battery replacement that pops in/out of the sensor. Im SURE that wouldn't have been too hard for the porsche engineers to devise - but hey they gotta make $ somehow

Last edited by socialpro; 11-05-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Derek is infamous around these partsDerek is infamous around these partsDerek is infamous around these partsDerek is infamous around these parts
cool, keep us posted. I got both left side that are acting up.
It's annoying the hell out of me

Old 11-05-2012, 05:51 PM
Thats what my symptoms were initially until I got the PCM inactive and then system went into 'learn' mode and does not leave that for past few days. When I go to tire pressure readings it only has right two showing up.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
Man that sucks- let me know if your going to take it in to get installed

Old 11-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by Tarek307
Man that sucks- let me know if your going to take it in to get installed
Yeah gonna take it to discount tire right up the street - thinking of doing just the 2 sensors that are being buggy. I know that the other 2 will need to be replaced as well but wanna try these sensors out before sticking in all 4.

Frank called me from Becks left a message basically said that I think he can mess with the electronics to disable it etc but would need the car overnight and such to make sure that nothing creeps up. Not trying to go through all that so just gonna go with these aftermarket ones and hoping they work well!

Old 11-05-2012, 07:37 PM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by socialpro
Yeah gonna take it to discount tire right up the street - thinking of doing just the 2 sensors that are being buggy. I know that the other 2 will need to be replaced as well but wanna try these sensors out before sticking in all 4.

Frank called me from Becks left a message basically said that I think he can mess with the electronics to disable it etc but would need the car overnight and such to make sure that nothing creeps up. Not trying to go through all that so just gonna go with these aftermarket ones and hoping they work well!

rite on, if you need a ride to drop it off or anything let me know!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: tmps sensor battery replacement design flaw?!