997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

tmps sensor battery replacement design flaw?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 10:55 AM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
SocialPro,

You are the MAN! I am ordering as soon as I figure out which frequency my car uses.

Thanks a lot. You are saving us a lot of money, overall.

Yves

Old 11-14-2012, 09:30 AM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
Apparently, my 2006 C4S also uses the 433 MHz sensors. I am going to order 4 sensors from the above mentioned distributor.

This is what I ordered:

http://oewheelsllc.com/TPMS-Sensors_...ssure-Sensor_2

When looking at the pictures, one can see that this sensor is for 433MHz which correspond to what my car is supposed to get. The other Sensors for 2006-08 models are for 315MHz which is the second generation of sensors.

For what it is worth, I had the sensors replacement estimated by my local dealer:

"The sensors run 158.69 each 634.76 for all four, the valve stems run 20.59 each, 82.36 for all four. The parts total for all four sensors and valve stems is 717.12 plus tax."

Yves

Last edited by yvesvidal; 11-14-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:38 AM
socialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to all
Originally Posted by yvesvidal
Apparently, my 2006 C4S also uses the 433 MHz sensors. I am going to order 4 sensors from the above mentioned distributor.

For what it is worth, I had the sensors replacement estimated by my local dealer:

"The sensors run 158.69 each 634.76 for all four, the valve stems run 20.59 each, 82.36 for all four. The parts total for all four sensors and valve stems is 717.12 plus tax."

Yves
WOW that is just out of this world pricing. Mechanical and main car component parts I would stick to OEM ... but something like this which readouts tire pressures and could be checked / double checked by hand absolutely should not be a $1000 throwaway item job.

Good thing you didnt divulge into finding out labor prices on that there as well, as would of had to have some good blood pressure medication on standby

PS. a day / 20 miles driving later all is still good with the swap / no errors on dash of any sort.

Last edited by socialpro; 11-14-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
What sort of crazy valve stems are they using that cost $20? Those are $2 parts, are they not? Or is there some special valve stem one needs to use on a TPMS sensor?

Old 11-14-2012, 01:31 PM
The valve stem must fit the TPMS sensor. What I have also heard is that the cap must not be made of metal, so as not to prevent the propagation of radio wave. Is the stem used as an antenna? Maybe.

Anyway, on the replacement sensors, stems and caps are also supplied.

Yves

Old 11-14-2012, 01:40 PM
Derek is infamous around these partsDerek is infamous around these partsDerek is infamous around these partsDerek is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by socialpro
PS. a day / 20 miles driving later all is still good with the swap / no errors on dash of any sort.
Does it read tire perssures pretty accurately?

Old 11-14-2012, 01:48 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Minok
What sort of crazy valve stems are they using that cost $20? Those are $2 parts, are they not? Or is there some special valve stem one needs to use on a TPMS sensor?
There are less expensive alternatives for OEM - http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...997_wheelacces

and yes, TPMS does have a special valve stem. Glad to hear that yvesvidal was able to source such a bargain...and get them to work. I was always worried about the model year part changes hence the need to have some comfort that the purchased TPMS would be VIN-specific.

Last edited by jhbrennan; 11-14-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Derek is infamous around these partsDerek is infamous around these partsDerek is infamous around these partsDerek is infamous around these parts
Does the TPMS have an on/off switch?
So if you are not installing all 4 at once the battery in not being drained on the ones not installed

Old 11-14-2012, 02:06 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yvesvidal

Yves
How did you know the correct part number to order - I see one part number for 2005-2008 and another part number for 2006-2008 and then there are 4 additional offerings for 2006 C2, C2S, C4, C4S all with different part numbers. Very confusing. Thanks.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by Derek
Does the TPMS have an on/off switch?
So if you are not installing all 4 at once the battery in not being drained on the ones not installed
Always on...until the battery dies.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:10 PM
If it sat in inventory for 4 years you could be screwed

Old 11-14-2012, 02:15 PM
sphinz will become famous soon enoughsphinz will become famous soon enough
I've also been living with this annoyance, but have been hesitant to pay the dealer $700+ to replace it. Keep us posted on how these work out!

Old 11-14-2012, 05:49 PM
socialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to all
Originally Posted by sphinz
I've also been living with this annoyance, but have been hesitant to pay the dealer $700+ to replace it. Keep us posted on how these work out!
Im still surprised that I was the first on these threads to try the aftermarket option out - and others are OK paying upwards of $1000 for this! Guessing that with an 06' model these are gonna be the first to go (5-6 year time span and I believe 05s did not have the TPMS on there)...so in a short while believe there are gonna be a lot of people scrambling to change out their sensors! Good Luck, mine are working out great so far.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
Im still surprised that I was the first on these threads to try the aftermarket option out - and others are OK paying upwards of $1000 for this! Guessing that with an 06' model these are gonna be the first to go (5-6 year time span and I believe 05s did not have the TPMS on there)...so in a short while believe there are gonna be a lot of people scrambling to change out their sensors! Good Luck, mine are working out great so far.
Rep points for helping forum members find a less expensive alternative!

Old 11-14-2012, 06:40 PM
saabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for taking the time to do this..

I think in '06 it was an option, and starting in '07 it was a govt req't.

About 6 months ago I spent about 1K on my '07 Cayman to replace 3 of the sensors at an indy shop. Will be looking for these when I need to on my 997.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: tmps sensor battery replacement design flaw?!