997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

tmps sensor battery replacement design flaw?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 11:35 AM
Derek is infamous around these partsDerek is infamous around these partsDerek is infamous around these partsDerek is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by socialpro
Dealers can figure it out by the VIN. Called suncoast porsche they confirmed the 433 MHz.
Suncoast refused to confirm the frequency unless I bought it from them.
disappointed in their service, I thought they were a board sponsor.
I think I will buy parts from Sunset Porsche in Oregon

Old 11-15-2012, 12:10 PM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
My local dealer confirmed it was 433 MHz for the 997.1 2006 year models. I was also reading some Porsche technical bulletin yesterday night and they indicate that the 2006 year model used the black BERU made 433 MHz sensors. These are the first generation sensors and were replaced by the Grey BERU generation sensors in 2008-up. The picture below shows a first generation BERU sensor and one can read the 433 MHz frequency used to communicate with the Receivers located near each wheel:

The second generation sensors use a different protocol of communicating the data from the inside of the tires. Specifically, the 2nd generation sends info about temperature, battery level and of course pressure. The 2nd generation also is less greedy in electricity and has a shut-off mechanism when the wheel is not rotating.

The first generation sensors apparently only transmit the pressure and have no shut-off mechanism when the car is idle. My understanding is that 1st Gen and 2nd Gen sensors are not talking the same language and are therefore non compatible.

Now, to make things simpler, in the USA, the frequency is 433 MHz. Period. The other frequencies such as 315MHz or else are used in Europe, Japan and other countries where 433 MHz is not available. At least this is what the Porsche technical bulletin is saying. In doubt, one should open a tire and see what type of sensors were mounted by the factory.

Therefore, if you purchase the 2005-2008 433 MHz offering for your replacement sensors, it should be pretty straightforward with the 997.1 cars purchased in the USA.

It won't be long for dealers to realize that they are losing big money as more and more people seek for cheaper alternatives. It just shows the power of Forums such as this one, and what people can do when they decide to band together against the Corporations and their insatiable greed.

The following is a very interesting article from BERU on how to install their sensors in the wheels:

http://www.beru.com/download/produkt...ung_tss_en.pdf

and another good one from BERU on the technical specifications of their TPMS system:

http://www.beru.com/download/produkt...atz_tss_en.pdf

Yves

Last edited by yvesvidal; 11-15-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:17 PM
GOB
GOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud of
Yves: European spec 997s, do they all use the 315 MHz or could they be either 315 or 433 MHz?

Last edited by GOB; 11-16-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:24 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
So it may be possible to save some money by re-using valve stems but why bother.

Though with the gen2 design change, that is good to know that while the things sit on the shelf (not rotating) the mechanical shutdown ensures the battery isn't draining... so shelf/inventory storage time of the gen2 sensors doesn't count against you.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:57 AM
xc17pilot is on a distinguished road
I did a quick search on ITM and found their website and this additional spec:

http://itmautoparts.com/wp-content/u...M-Brochure.pdf

It doesn't address a sleep mode to conserve battery, but on their website it shows a cross reference to the Porsche OE part: 99760602101.

I'm looking to add these to my winter wheels for my '07 997 C4S.

Anyone else who adds these, please keep us updated on good and bad experiences.

Great thread to source alternative, viable solution.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:29 PM
doctorbossman is on a distinguished road
I just installed the same sensors that social pro and yvesvidal ordered...
http://oewheelsllc.com/TPMS-Sensors_...ssure-Sensor_2
Works great. No more Yellow or Red warning lights.
Seem to be as precise as my old OEMs and also as inaccurate at 3-4psi below actual.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:57 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Did those come with the valve stems too?

Old 11-26-2012, 10:27 AM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
They do come with the valve stems.

I have not installed mine yet, as I am waiting for a new set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires to arrive. I will report as soon as I get some news.

According to ITM (the manufacturer of the Sensors) the sensors will not transmit data and thus save batteries life, until the car is running at about 15 MPH. So, I suppose the sensors go into a dormant state with just an accelerometer chip monitoring the rotation of the wheels. Since most of the energy is usually taken by the transmission of data, one can expect a decent life duration for these sensors.

Yves

Old 04-19-2013, 12:55 PM
sphinz will become famous soon enoughsphinz will become famous soon enough
I am just about to buy these for my 2008 C4S. I've called the dealer and confirmed they are 433 mHz

Can someone confirm whether or not I will need valve stems to go with this as well? Is it best to replace the valve stems since they are 5+ years old? They are only $20 more, but just wanted to double check.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:18 PM
Mine came with all required hardware (valve, stems, caps....).

Yves

Old 04-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by yvesvidal
Mine came with all required hardware (valve, stems, caps....).

Yves
Thanks Yves. I am looking to order these and I noticed there was an option to buy valve stems on the bottom of the page, so that through me off.

So just confirming, I only need to buy those and no other parts right?

Old 04-19-2013, 03:45 PM
doctorbossman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sphinz

So just confirming, I only need to buy those and no other parts right?

Everything is included

Old 04-19-2013, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by doctorbossman
Everything is included
cool thx! Just ordered

Old 06-07-2013, 04:50 PM
kiddoutlaw is on a distinguished road
Ordered mine and had them .....Not getting tire pressure readout though the error has gone away. Does it take more time for the readout to display?

Old 06-07-2013, 05:26 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kiddoutlaw
Ordered mine and had them .....Not getting tire pressure readout though the error has gone away. Does it take more time for the readout to display?
How much time did you give it? I've had mine take anywhere from 5 minutes to 20 minutes of driving to register.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: tmps sensor battery replacement design flaw?!