997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Pre-purchase inspection near Barrington, IL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 06:30 PM
bradleyt09 is infamous around these parts
Pre-purchase inspection near Barrington, IL

I am interested in purchasing a pre-owned Porsche from Motorwerks in Barrington, IL. Does anyone have any knowledge of this dealership? Also, if there are any recommendations for a shop near Barrington that could do a PPI, I would be greatly appreciative.
Thanks,
Brad
bradandsuzi@comcast.net

Old 06-01-2013, 10:33 AM
italdream is infamous around these parts
I am in NY so can't help you. What year is your Porsche?

Porsche of NA website shows that the other Porsche dealer in the area (15mi distance) is The Porsche Exchange 2300 Skokie Valley Rd
Highland Park, Illinois 60035
847-266-7000

I would use them.

Also, read the list made in the post of mattyf and mine, in this thread"
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3858936

There is pretty much all you need to know about a decent PPI. It can cost up to $300. I was picky and that is almost what cost me.

Last edited by italdream; 06-01-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Thanks for that link...

I appreciate your reply. I was interested in an Aqua Blue 2009 911 with PDK transmission. Unfortunately, and unbelievably, the car sold last night so I'm back to the search. If anyone has a lead on a nice one with lower miles, please let me know. Thanks.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:48 PM
italdream is infamous around these parts
Oh no! Pretty common occurrence though for used buyers.

After the third car that someone bought under my nose, the dealer where I ended up buying my 997 allowed me to put a deposit pending positive PPI. So Test drive a few cars. Once you find a vehicle that is a good candidate (I know, it is easy to fall in love with all of them), see if they allow you to hold it, then do the PPI.

I think that the effects of the deposit down varies according to state law, so check first under IL law.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:07 AM
Bill Reynolds is infamous around these parts
I see that they already sold the one you were looking at but FWIW I just bought a 2008 997 from Motorwerks a few weeks ago, had a great experience with them. I would recommend them.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:14 PM
shoss is infamous around these parts
I purchased my preowned 911 from Motorwerks 1.5 years ago. I can say that this is one of the best dealers in the Chicagoland area. Not only due to the sales experience but I bring my car there for Service and they always give you a Porsche loaner and Chauncy from the Service department is extremely helpful and always willing to negotiate on the price of service or give you a discount of some sort.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:10 PM
jkl
jkl is infamous around these parts
If there is another vehicle at Motorwerks that you're interested in, I recommend Fischer motors in Lake Barrington for a PPI. Rick Fischer is the owner and he's a good guy. They specialize in European cars, and in particular Porsches. They not only service cars, they also perform race prep services. I have used both Motorwerks and Fischer motors and have been happy with both.

Originally Posted by bradleyt09
I am interested in purchasing a pre-owned Porsche from Motorwerks in Barrington, IL. Does anyone have any knowledge of this dealership? Also, if there are any recommendations for a shop near Barrington that could do a PPI, I would be greatly appreciative.
Thanks,
Brad
bradandsuzi@comcast.net

Old 06-03-2013, 06:19 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
There is a great indi in Libertyville and I cannot think of the name. As for Motor Werks I had them do work on my 993, suspension mostly, and they were very good as well. Sorry I cannot think of the Libertyville garage because he did the PPI for the buyer of my 993.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:06 PM
Thanks to all for your replies.

Unfortunately, the one I was interested in has sold. I am glad to know that this is a reputable dealer. Now I know that I have to move quicker next time. I've found another nice one at a different dealer (not a Porsche dealer). I will start a new post and ask for any feedback on this dealer. Thanks again. I really appreciate the cohesiveness and willingness of many who replied to help a stranger, albeit a stranger with a common passion!

Old 06-12-2013, 10:47 AM
GIZMOGIRL256 is infamous around these parts
Personally, I wouldn't do business with them or their service department. Chauncey tried to snow me over with a "massive frame damage" spiel on my car even though it had been in for regular service a couple of times at their shop. I felt like he was really trying to snow me over with the "little lady that doesn't know cars" line of talk. I knew that there was a bent bracket but nothing that my indy was concerned about. I ended up taking it over to Belknap Auto Body in Lake Barrington for a 2nd opinon/full inspection where they confirmed the earlier indy assessment. They only charged me $25 even after pulling the back bumper off. He did show me where it had been hit and the bumper resprayed. I eventually had Rick over at Fischer Motors do the repair work and will continue to use shops with a good relationship with the PCA.

My advice...if they have a good deal make sure you get it checked out elsewhere before closing the deal!