997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My budget audio install updated 3/22/15

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:50 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cayenne_ksa
my post was if there is better quality or better option. If the price is higher no issues. I think it is worth it.

I will go with the tested set up. thanks a lot
I hear you. When someone drops in $50 JL speakers, I ask why bother? Focal seemed a great value. You could put in their $1000+ K2 drivers, but that just seems like a waste of money. Also, there's a very limited selection of 8" 2 way components. Using coax in the rear made it easier to select a decent pair, because separates basically don't exist in that size. For the sub drivers, there were more expensive options, but with the stock amp, that also didn't seem to make much sense.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:56 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
For the subwoofer, if I did it over again, I'd follow Petza's lead and swap in a small amp with the existing power leads. He did a great install. But my turbos are long gone! I recently dropped a full Focal driver set into my new M2 competition. Huge improvement and plug and play, including dual 8"subs under the seats. Note that the BMW speaker set wasn't available in the U.S. I had to order it directly from Germany.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:02 PM
Sound good. Most music i listen to doesn't require high quality bass. I have a feeling that i will end up doing the sub but I wanna give it a try without.

Again i do care about details and clarity more than anything else.

Thank you so much for the great info

Do you think there is better option that Focal ?
You may not want a LOT of bass, but you DO want QUALITY bass. I highly recommend the sub driver swap. Even with the low cost drivers. Keep in mind the speakers all need to be broken in. Quality will not settle in until you play them several hours.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:46 PM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ryem3
You may not want a LOT of bass, but you DO want QUALITY bass. I highly recommend the sub driver swap. Even with the low cost drivers. Keep in mind the speakers all need to be broken in. Quality will not settle in until you play them several hours.
thats really good advise and highly appreciate it. I will go with the full set up. I just don't want to keep adding and adding. I don't want to add AMP and just want to replace the factory speakers.

I will see where this will take me.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:49 PM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
For the subwoofer, if I did it over again, I'd follow Petza's lead and swap in a small amp with the existing power leads. He did a great install. But my turbos are long gone! I recently dropped a full Focal driver set into my new M2 competition. Huge improvement and plug and play, including dual 8"subs under the seats. Note that the BMW speaker set wasn't available in the U.S. I had to order it directly from Germany.
Since you mention the M cars. I'm big fan of the sound quality of the M cars with premium sound system from 2010-2013. I have that on my E92 M3 and totally in love with it. If you have experience from same period speakers, kindly share how i would get close quality set up.

I tried different cars with different high end system. Burmester, B&O, etc. When i listen to deep country the sound is amazing. When i play my type of arabic music M cars seem to be the winner.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:45 AM
Since you mention the M cars. I'm big fan of the sound quality of the M cars with premium sound system from 2010-2013. I have that on my E92 M3 and totally in love with it. If you have experience from same period speakers, kindly share how i would get close quality set up.

I tried different cars with different high end system. Burmester, B&O, etc. When i listen to deep country the sound is amazing. When i play my type of arabic music M cars seem to be the winner.
Agreed! I had a 2011 e92 m3 with the hi end sound system. It was like a $1800 option as I recall, but it was a really great system. Didn't care for the car very much, but it was probably the best factory system I've ever heard. I haven't heard the Burmester system or some of the other super expensive systems now offered. The mfg have really gotten into the hi end game, which is great.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:13 AM
Agreed! I had a 2011 e92 m3 with the hi end sound system. It was like a $1800 option as I recall, but it was a really great system. Didn't care for the car very much, but it was probably the best factory system I've ever heard. I haven't heard the Burmester system or some of the other super expensive systems now offered. The mfg have really gotten into the hi end game, which is great.
I mainly listen to Arabic and Deep country. I have tested all kind of expensive system but M3 is my best specially for Arabic music. The high end system out of Porsche, MB, BMW etc are good for deep country. I would still prefer that system out of M3.

Other cars that i was surprised by the quality JBL on the FJ cruiser, infinity on the 2003 Dodge drango, 2000 VW passat and B&O on the 2015 RS6

never tried aftermarket but i always hate the amount of bass in any added system.

Old 01-01-2019, 01:32 PM
Kellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud of
Just purchased a 997.2 4S and will duplicate this again. However the new car doesn't have BOSE. Anything different besides the rear subs? Its a 4S so I think it automatically gets the upgraded speakers. I see 3 front speakers near the dash. Im guessing there are still 4" and 6.5" in the doors?

Old 01-02-2019, 07:33 AM
Sorry, I can't give too much help here. Others with gt3's have upgraded. The key would be to add the 8" drivers in the doors for decent bass. I think the 4" coaxes will go as well.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:33 AM
Kellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud of
Sorry, I can't give too much help here. Others with gt3's have upgraded. The key would be to add the 8" drivers in the doors for decent bass. I think the 4" coaxes will go as well.
Thanks. If GT3s can fit 8” in the door then I assume all can accept it. Wonder if the ring from the 6.5” sub in the door can be used as a spacer ring.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:14 PM
Finally found some research on the "Sound Package Plus" offered as standard in the S non Bose cars.

Looks like its basically everything but the rear subs as compared to the BOSE system. Further no fiberoptic so possibly easier to add an amp and decent speakers. We shall see. At minimum I am doing this thread speaker install minus the BOSE rear subs.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Sound System.pdf (384.9 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by Kellen; 01-02-2019 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by Kellen

Thanks. If GT3s can fit 8” in the door then I assume all can accept it. Wonder if the ring from the 6.5” sub in the door can be used as a spacer ring.
While you could use the existing speaker frame as a spacer, others on the thread have found that this will cause issues with the door card because it will be too thick. Best to use a 3/4" MDF spacer cut to suit. Believe it or not, I think the speaker in the door is 8", but it makes for some pretty flabby bass, typical of Bose.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:39 AM
Serg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Kellen
Finally found some research on the "Sound Package Plus" offered as standard in the S non Bose cars.

Looks like its basically everything but the rear subs as compared to the BOSE system. Further no fiberoptic so possibly easier to add an amp and decent speakers. We shall see. At minimum I am doing this thread speaker install minus the BOSE rear subs.
There is an amp. Non optic. So it can be changed to almost any non-original with high-level inputs.

Old 07-11-2020, 07:01 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Did this long long time ago on my 997.2 with Bose... quite happy but of course knew needed some improvement whenever a professional sound tuner would listen and give comments of improper staging... I found another upgrade slightly improving the sound staging... my system took out the center speaker since it overpowered everything else... however, recently i tried putting in a tweeter from the non Bose system in that center location.... it seemed to have improved staging! You really don’t notice the sound coming from the center speaker unless you alternate by covering and uncovering that center speaker... uncovered it would make the vocals more pronounced and moving forward of the cockpit... sound system better for me

Old 07-12-2020, 08:03 AM
Absolutely. It's still important to have that center speaker and adding a tweeter adds something with much higher quality than the existing one.

I wonder how the 991 can be modded?