997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My budget audio install updated 3/22/15

Old 11-17-2017, 06:12 AM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Actually just thinking of putting somewhere close to roffle's idea... Around 500w of amp power... I guess if I don't pump up the volume too much then it should be ok... But of course having the best amperage available to the amp is best

Old 12-13-2017, 10:29 AM
vokain is an unknown quantity at this point
For those replacing the center with a tweeter, that's only if you're keeping the Bose amplifier? How do I wire the center if I were to replace the center channel speaker with a matching tweeter?

Old 12-13-2017, 01:09 PM
Bruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by vokain
For those replacing the center with a tweeter, that's only if you're keeping the Bose amplifier? How do I wire the center if I were to replace the center channel speaker with a matching tweeter?
I am not sure what you are asking..... you can just replace the speaker.

Note that the Bose system uses that center speaker as a full range fill speaker and not as a tweeter. If you are replacing this unit with a tweeter, you may want to attenuate it... have control over its volume... if it is too loud relative to the others, it will limit the stereo effect you will experience.

I chose to leave the old speaker there (I replaced all of the others) because it is run full range and I could not find a larger speaker other than a tweeter. However the stock center speaker is more efficient than the others... in other words, it plays louder... so I needed to attenuate it.

See here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4264336

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 12-14-2017, 10:23 AM
cjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond repute
I can't recall at the moment whether I did the center (shop did the work) but I think so - I found I never use it anyway because the soundstage and response sound better to me in normal mode.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:53 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
I installed the same Focal tweeter in the center that I used on the top sides of the dash. As Bruce mentions, the Focals are quieter than the OEM speakers and if you don't want the poor OEM center speaker to overpower the two side speakers, you need to replace it with a matching one or attenuate it as Bruce suggests.

The problem with that center mount is that the hole is very deep and dropping a tweeter into the bottom of the hole won't do anything for you. As you can see in the photos below, I mounted the tweeter housing to a rubber stopper I had lying around, in order to bring up up as close to the top as I could, then used some 3M trim tape to secure the rubber stopper to the base of the opening - the tapered shape was perfect to hold it in there laterally.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:32 AM
vokain is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you everyone.

I mean, would the center speaker be a worthwhile add on if I am replacing the Bose systems? I’d have to get a digital signal processor to handle center channel sound processing right? Rod at CAI is recommending I just skip it.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:39 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you everyone.

I mean, would the center speaker be a worthwhile add on if I am replacing the Bose systems? I’d have to get a digital signal processor to handle center channel sound processing right? Rod at CAI is recommending I just skip it.
If replacing the Bose, skip it.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:08 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Petza914
If replacing the Bose, skip it.
Never understood the purpose of a center channel in car audio. If you want good soundstage, time-align each speaker to the driver's head position.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:38 AM
997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !
what's a good place to install a small aftermarket amp?

This Friday I have an appointment with an installer, and my subwoofer box is almost complete (just needs the top panel built, wired, and carpeted once I confirm it sounds good).

Old 12-19-2017, 02:53 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Thank you everyone.

Perhaps like Petza, i found that adding the center fill was better. I think he took my recommendation and used the same tweeter, that way the whole system is sensitivity and voice matched. There felt like there was a fair "hole" in the front soundstage without it.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by ryem3
Perhaps like Petza, i found that adding the center fill was better. I think he took my recommendation and used the same tweeter, that way the whole system is sensitivity and voice matched. There felt like there was a fair "hole" in the front soundstage without it.
I actually didn't try it without it. Had the spare pair of tweeters that came with the set I bought in the marketplace, so just installed it while I was working on the dash area.

Last edited by Petza914; 12-19-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:08 PM
markskyline is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle
what's a good place to install a small aftermarket amp?

This Friday I have an appointment with an installer, and my subwoofer box is almost complete (just needs the top panel built, wired, and carpeted once I confirm it sounds good).
I fit an Alpine MRV-M500 in the space where the stock Nav and CD Changer are. I actually left the stock pieces in there for now as I fit the amp on top of the nav unit.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:51 AM
997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by markskyline
I fit an Alpine MRV-M500 in the space where the stock Nav and CD Changer are. I actually left the stock pieces in there for now as I fit the amp on top of the nav unit.
Awesome tip. I just glanced at it, and my Alpine MRV-M500 is almost the same width and length as the oem navigation changer, so it could fit under the same trim. You can even remove the top access hinge thing so heat can escape

Old 12-22-2017, 11:49 AM
I'm putting the new subwoofer amp in the same spot as the nav unit, but when installer says when he disconnects the oem nav unit, the sound cuts out. This is because there's fiber optic going in AND out. So he says there should be a piece I can get that bypasses the nav unit, basically an optic cable coupler. Anyone know of such thing? Something like this I think
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by 997TurboTom; 12-22-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:45 PM
Serg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond repute
You need a "optic terminator". Best/fast option is buy one from audi dealer imho.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My budget audio install updated 3/22/15