997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Chassis flex? any chassis bar or product to reduce flex?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 03:17 AM
mike2016 is on a distinguished road
Chassis flex? any chassis bar or product to reduce flex?

My 997.2 C4S has quite a bit of flex and makes noise whenever i go up a bump or go up/down a drive way, i can hear clearly the cabin is making noise and the chassis is twisting. compared to my GT3, it doesn't make a sound at all. is it because my GT3 has roll bar?

is there any type of bar or product that will reduce the flexing in non-caged 997? i don't want to put a cage in my C4S as it's my daily driver and will look weird.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:37 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mike2016
My 997.2 C4S has quite a bit of flex and makes noise whenever i go up a bump or go up/down a drive way, i can hear clearly the cabin is making noise and the chassis is twisting. compared to my GT3, it doesn't make a sound at all. is it because my GT3 has roll bar?

is there any type of bar or product that will reduce the flexing in non-caged 997? i don't want to put a cage in my C4S as it's my daily driver and will look weird.
Sure thing.. I'd stiffen up some of the pivot points like this:
http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/techni...s-ztadpol.html
At least the dog bones and toe-bump steer in the rear.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:09 AM
mike2016 is on a distinguished road
these suspension links are for the subframe / handling, but won't necessarily strengthen the chassis? i just want to make the chassis stronger and not hear those squeaking sound whenever i go over bumps

a lot of JDM cars have like floor bars, under brace, x-brace....etc. does anyone make these for porsche?

Old 10-15-2013, 02:32 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
these suspension links are for the subframe / handling, but won't necessarily strengthen the chassis? i just want to make the chassis stronger and not hear those squeaking sound whenever i go over bumps

a lot of JDM cars have like floor bars, under brace, x-brace....etc. does anyone make these for porsche?
Well solidifying some of the pivot points will reduce the movement but the chassis is very stiff. You can raise the entire car from any one corner with a jack... I know the bracing you are referring too and there's nothing like that for the 911.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:58 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
For a chassis as stiff as these, I wouldn't want to add more weight trying to improve on it. As noted above, it amazes me each time I jack up one front jacking point and get 3 wheels off the ground. And that is with my cab!

Old 10-15-2013, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by keninirvine
For a chassis as stiff as these, I wouldn't want to add more weight trying to improve on it. As noted above, it amazes me each time I jack up one front jacking point and get 3 wheels off the ground. And that is with my cab!
Exactly... it's funny watching all of us lowered 911s pull out of steep driveways sideways on 3 wheels

Old 10-15-2013, 04:20 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Can anybody explain why does it creak when going diagonally if its really that stiff. The twisting is causing some body flex causing the squeaking noise of the rubbers for the doors and sunroof if so equiped.. I think our brothers are mixing up stiffness with the short wheel base. I think the 3 wheels off is caused more by the short wheelbase of our cars.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:42 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Red face

You are NOT hearing chassis flex. You are hearing suspension noise. Have rubber bushings in suspension lubed regularly. Will cut it down some.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:54 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
actually i am hearing the sunroof squeak and the door weather stripping. why do i know? well firstly, i hear it coming fromt here and second when i lube these rubber pieces the squeaks disappear. dealer also acknowledges the squeaks come from there. only thing is it happens only when car goes diagonal over humps and bumps

Old 10-15-2013, 06:38 PM
SecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant future
All car chassis' flex to some extent. 997s are *exceptionally rigid*. The squeaks you are hearing has more to do with how the interior panels are fitted than with chassis flex (which is unavoidable).

Old 10-15-2013, 06:51 PM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by slicky rick
actually i am hearing the sunroof squeak and the door weather stripping. why do i know? well firstly, i hear it coming fromt here and second when i lube these rubber pieces the squeaks disappear. dealer also acknowledges the squeaks come from there. only thing is it happens only when car goes diagonal over humps and bumps

FYI, die-hard Porsche racers prefer a sunroof-deleted-optioned car. Or, they get them welded.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:41 PM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
Originally Posted by SecretAsianMan
All car chassis' flex to some extent. 997s are *exceptionally rigid*. The squeaks you are hearing has more to do with how the interior panels are fitted than with chassis flex (which is unavoidable).
Can this be fixed? I am having the same issue (that is driving me nuts) on my 2012 C2. I can hear the flexing and squeaking of interior parts (cant figure out which ones though)...I do know it is coming from behind me. Almost sounds like the rear windshield is flexing.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Steve

PS: I never had this happen on my 2007 C2. Was something changed? Or did I get a lemon?

Old 10-15-2013, 07:43 PM
Kirkd will become famous soon enoughKirkd will become famous soon enough
Find the squeak on interior panels and remove mounting hardware and put in thin o-rings..

Old 10-15-2013, 07:48 PM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Kirkd
Find the squeak on interior panels and remove mounting hardware and put in thin o-rings..
Is this standard practice at Porsche dealers to get rid of these noises? I am taking it to them on Saturday for a bunch of work...

Old 10-15-2013, 08:23 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by slicky rick
Why this? I addressed my answer to the OP for a reason. It is my understanding that GT3 does not use rubber bushings. His GT3 did not squeak, his 997 does. I suggest he lubes his bushings. You seem to know what to lube

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Chassis flex? any chassis bar or product to reduce flex?