997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Ipad Mini in-dash install and 997.2 climate control unit in 997.1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 11:13 AM
Littlemilla3 is on a distinguished road
Ipad Mini in-dash install and 997.2 climate control unit in 997.1

I was inspired by user JoelPierla to install an iPad Mini in-dash to replace my PCM 2.1. I was originally looking at options to play music/podcasts from my phone into the original PCM, and was set on a Dension unit for about $500.

However after seeing JoelPierla's thread, I decided replacing the whole PCM would be a better choice because of the added functionality of an iPad.

Here is his thread:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ini-997-a.html

I also used tips from user pfbz in his thread (including the Porsche wallpaper)
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-996-mkii.html

I followed most of JoelPierla's instructions, but I used a different pre-amp, which controls volume with a **** since I didn't want to have to look at the screen while driving to adjust volume.

Basically my setup is as follows:
iPad audio out 3.5mm goes to pre-amp (through noise isolator)
pre-amp then gives speaker output which is now attached to the original PCM harness using a Euromotorsports adapter (so I didn't have to hack up any of the car's harness, making this completely reversible)
Power is from C6 switched 12v on footwell fuse box, which powers the ipad using a 5v USB adapter which the iPad lightning cable is plugged into
This also powers the pre-amp

The bezel is a modified 997.2 GT2RS radio elimination shelf.
The bezel stays attached with magnets glued onto the back, which are attracted to the ipad at the same locations a case would attach.

The iPad is a Mini Retina 4g model, andhas a matte screen protector to reduce glare. It has been jailbroken using evasi0n to make it act more like an OEM piece.

The main reason I jailbroke is so that the screen turns on when I put the key in and turns off when I take it out, rather than manually turning it on or off, or having it set on a timer (using Activator). There are probably other things I will change in the future, but that is the main thing for now.

997.2 Climate Control Panel -
EDIT: The 997.2 unit does not engage the 997.1 AC compressor. Please see this thread for more info - I am still unclear on the solution.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...n-done-19.html

In addition to being nicer and newer, it is black and matches the radio elimination shelf I bought for the iPad install. I also purchased a 997.2 cubby (under the sport button control pannel thing), to match (this was only about $20. The last thing that needed to match was the sport mode/PASM/PSM off switch panel, which I painted black myself to match everything else. I considered buying a 997.2 piece but heard rumors that it isn't plug and play, and I didn't feel like rewiring anything.

Couple things I would still like to do:

I do not like the look of the shiny chrome ***** of the pre-amp. I will remove these and install black ones instead. I already sanded them down a little so they have a brushed look instead of a chrome look, but I still think it would look better if it was all black.

Another thing is the bezel isn't 100% lined up correctly, so I need to reposition the magnets so that it lines up better.

Here is a [bad phone] picture of the setup, I can answer any questions about it.
Thanks again to JoelPierla and pfbz for their informational threads.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_06861.jpg
Views:	15667
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	319662  

Last edited by Littlemilla3; 04-27-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:25 AM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
Dude that's awesome! I am glad it worked fine!
Good job!

Old 01-10-2014, 02:31 PM
silver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the rough
you guys are killing it with these ipad installs. great job! i'm just not as brave as you guys.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:55 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
I use the "skin and buttons" of the 997.2 PSM/Spoiler switch to make mine match. Only if i knew I could use the climate control! That was awesome!

Old 01-10-2014, 03:19 PM
Arielao is on a distinguished road
What product (pen, marker, paint) you use to match the sport mode/PASM/PSM off switch?

BTW outstanding work, if you can document the AC replacement would be nice.

Thank you

Old 01-10-2014, 10:21 PM
KINGCONG is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Arielao

Thank you
+1...would also like to know. Did I forget to say, "great job on the conversion!"

Old 01-11-2014, 06:22 AM
JesseRohr has much to be proud ofJesseRohr has much to be proud ofJesseRohr has much to be proud ofJesseRohr has much to be proud ofJesseRohr has much to be proud ofJesseRohr has much to be proud ofJesseRohr has much to be proud ofJesseRohr has much to be proud ofJesseRohr has much to be proud of
This looks so slick. I want to do the same. Can you link us to some of the parts you purchased? Mine is a 997.2 but it looks similar from your picture.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by Arielao
What product (pen, marker, paint) you use to match the sport mode/PASM/PSM off switch?

Thank you
I used a Krylon plastic spray paint (black) from the hardware store. I sprayed several light coats and then wetsanded to give it a matte finish similar to the 997.2 pieces.

I don't have any pictures of the climate control modifications, but I'll try to come up with a diagram and post it.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:07 PM
Here is how I modified the climate control mounting plastic to make the 997.2 unit fit in my 997.1 car console. I made all modifications on the car, rather than on the unit itself. I guess you might be able to do it the other way around, I'm not sure.

Basically there are three areas where there is not enough clearance. The 997.2 unit is slightly larger in these areas and causes interference with the console. To alleviate this problem, I filed down these three areas inside the console area to make more clearance.

First I'll post pictures of the two units to show the differences

This is an inferior view of the two units. I outlined in red the part of the 997.2 unit which causes interference. The solution is to notch out some of the plastic (on the console, not on the unit) where this slides over.

Continued on next post...

Name:	997.1 unit.JPG
Views:	5567
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	320289   Click image for larger version

Name:	997.2 climate bottom view.JPG
Views:	5584
Size:	288.5 KB
ID:	320290   Click image for larger version

Name:	997.2 climate bottom view modified.jpg
Views:	5481
Size:	292.1 KB
ID:	320291   Click image for larger version

Name:	997.2 climate side view.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	320292  
Old 01-11-2014, 07:20 PM
Here is a (very horrible) picture I took in the middle of the process. This after rough cuts, so it looks much nicer now than it does in this picture (filed nicely, etc.), but it'll give you an idea of what's involved.

So in the picture with the big yellow circle, that is the area I had to notch to make room for the "hump" that I outlined in the red box in one of the pictures above. I used a dremel with a cutoff wheel and then filed it to make it look nice. (about ~1cm notched out)

The two smaller yellow circles highlight the other two areas which need to be modified. This U-channel-like extension slides into the side of the climate unit, and the 997.2 unit's grooves are less deep so the U-channel-thingy needs to be filed down roughly 2-3mm bilaterally.

Here is a picture of the side of the climate control unit

The two red arrows show the two grooves which the U-channel-thing slide into. These two grooves are too shallow on the 997.2 unit so you can see why the U-channel-thing needs to be filed down.

RECAP:
So there are three areas which need to be modified.
1: notch out the plastic below the climate control unit roughly 1cm to clear the area I outlined in the red box above
2+3: file down about 2-3mm of each side (L+R) of the little plastic U-channel tabs which slide into the climate unit, seen in the picture above

All other mounting points fit correctly, including metal tabs which actually hold the unit in place.

Name:	cubby mods resized 0.jpg
Views:	5282
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	320293   Click image for larger version

Name:	cubby mods resized 1.jpg
Views:	5228
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	320294   Click image for larger version

Name:	cubby mods resized.jpg
Views:	5327
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	320295   Click image for larger version

Name:	997.2 climate side view.JPG
Views:	5658
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	320296  

Last edited by Littlemilla3; 01-11-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by JesseRohr
This looks so slick. I want to do the same. Can you link us to some of the parts you purchased? Mine is a 997.2 but it looks similar from your picture.
Parts List

Harness adapter:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-08-PORSCH...item4ac072de42
(this is for a 997.1 NON-BOSE car. I do not know how different 997.2 wiring is and if you have Bose, it is probably going to make everything more difficult)

GT2RS radio removal shelf
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...2rselectronics

Amp
Amazon.com : 2013 New Version!! Upgraded LP-2020A+ Lepai Tripath Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Mini Amplifier with US Power Supply Black, US Shipping!!! : Audio Component Amplifiers : Electronics Amazon.com : 2013 New Version!! Upgraded LP-2020A+ Lepai Tripath Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Mini Amplifier with US Power Supply Black, US Shipping!!! : Audio Component Amplifiers : Electronics

Cigarette lighter socket
Cigarette Lighter Socket : Amazon.com : Automotive Cigarette Lighter Socket : Amazon.com : Automotive

USB 5v cigarette lighter adapter
Amazon.com: Satechi Smart Converter USB Port Cigarette Adapter for iPad 2 & 3, Mini, iPhone 4S , 5, 5S, 5C, Samsung Galaxy S II, S III, SIV, BlackBerry Playbook, HTC One, SV, Flyer, Android Phones (2.4 AMP) (Single USB Port): Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Satechi Smart Converter USB Port Cigarette Adapter for iPad 2 & 3, Mini, iPhone 4S , 5, 5S, 5C, Samsung Galaxy S II, S III, SIV, BlackBerry Playbook, HTC One, SV, Flyer, Android Phones (2.4 AMP) (Single USB Port): Cell Phones & Accessories

3.5mm audio cable
Amazon.com: 2 feet 3.5mm Male Right Angle to 3.5mm Male Right Angle Gold Stereo Audio Cable, Nylon Reinforced, Premium Quality Cable: Electronics Amazon.com: 2 feet 3.5mm Male Right Angle to 3.5mm Male Right Angle Gold Stereo Audio Cable, Nylon Reinforced, Premium Quality Cable: Electronics

Ground loop isolator
Amazon.com: PAC Ground Loop Isolator for 3.5 MM Applications: Automotive Amazon.com: PAC Ground Loop Isolator for 3.5 MM Applications: Automotive

Lightning right angle adapter (harvested from this dock)
Amazon.com: ELONGPRO Desktop Data Sync & Charger Cradle Mount Dock Docking Station for Apple iPhone 5 (White) F8i: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: ELONGPRO Desktop Data Sync & Charger Cradle Mount Dock Docking Station for Apple iPhone 5 (White) F8i: Cell Phones & Accessories

Plus various consumables, e.g. heat shrink, solder, etc.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:13 AM
JesseRohr has much to be proud ofJesseRohr has much to be proud ofJesseRohr has much to be proud ofJesseRohr has much to be proud ofJesseRohr has much to be proud ofJesseRohr has much to be proud ofJesseRohr has much to be proud ofJesseRohr has much to be proud ofJesseRohr has much to be proud of
Awesome.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:03 PM
SoCal GT3 will become famous soon enough
Very informative post. Thanks!

Old 03-13-2014, 04:54 PM
mkoenigsheim is on a distinguished road
Rather than dremel the controller holder - does anybody know if the holder from a 997.2 can be fitted?

see below, for 40 Euro I would rather use the OEM part no?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Porsche-911-9...item2ec3a22a92

any thoughts/people that have done this?

Thanks Mike

Old 03-18-2014, 01:44 PM
Honeyville is on a distinguished road
Nice

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ipad Mini in-dash install and 997.2 climate control unit in 997.1