997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Drove a Tesla today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 08:12 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Drove a Tesla today

I know this may be the wrong section but nobody in the Tesla section .
I test drove one today. AWD 691HP I was told. Wow. Amazing! Handled very well too. Most power I have ever driven. I was overall very impressed by the drive, looks and quality. So wondering what the downside of all electric will be? Again, the Tesla section is quiet. This 4500 lb car would smoke my 911 and probably most any production car. I got to open it up in the INSANE MODE too. You got to experience it for yourself. Is this the future?
Got to hit the web and do some research is guess. Feel free to add your thoughts.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:42 PM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cerbomark
I know this may be the wrong section but nobody in the Tesla section .
I test drove one today. AWD 691HP I was told. Wow. Amazing! Handled very well too. Most power I have ever driven. I was overall very impressed by the drive, looks and quality. So wondering what the downside of all electric will be? Again, the Tesla section is quiet. This 4500 lb car would smoke my 911 and probably most any production car. I got to open it up in the INSANE MODE too. You got to experience it for yourself. Is this the future?
Got to hit the web and do some research is guess. Feel free to add your thoughts.
Sounds like quiet a trip. How's the exhaust note though?

Old 08-24-2015, 10:58 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
I think the old p85+ smoked most 911 except perhaps the 991tt.

While they are super fast, I don't think the quality is at par with a $100k+ car. A tesla parked along side an s63 amg, there is no comparison.

I think the base model s is the most likely tesla I would buy. With over 200mi range at $70k, I can see the car worth the value.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:18 PM
Jcsomerv is on a distinguished road
Drove a Tesla today

It is all torque. 0-60 fast ... Real world...not so much. Any good times at the 'ring? Nope. Cause it's weighs 4500 lbs and batteries start to shut down due to heat after 3 minutes. This thing impresses with monster torque, it does not smoke 911s in any real-world performance test...
http://jalopnik.com/heres-what-a-tes...rin-1600644908. A 10 minute Ring time? WRX does less than 8, Mini Cooper in the 8s....You guys all know what 911s do. A Hellcat beats it to 60 for half the price.... Http://www.hybridcars.com/tesla-p85d...fastest-sedan/. And they don't talk about the range but I bet you need to recharge for 8 hours after 30 mins at the Ring....

Is it the future of the commuter car? I'd say yes. Layout and simplicity for the average commuter car is impressive. Plug it into your solar panel equipped garage - awesome - no more gas stations. I like that. No oil change, no transmission, software updates via wifi, etc.

Tesla is also losing $4k a car. How long can they sustain that? They are trying to raise equity in the stock mkt cause they are burning through cash at an alarming rate. I think in the medium term they get bought for technology by a major manufacturer -or- slowly become irrelevant as Porsche Audi, MB, BMW and Lexus all get into then full-electric sedan game and the it is game over for Tesla.

It is impressive technology for commuter cars but it is not replacing or beating my 911.

Last edited by Jcsomerv; 08-25-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:14 AM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
Interesting that you would mention the Tesla, as I was privy to a test drive of a P85 model, this past weekend.

Although the owner offered to let me drive it, I politely declined as I wanted to see what it would be from a passenger perspective.

That Tesla was wearing a beautiful Red dress and we tried it by night, on a small back road.

The silence is deafening and this is what jumps to you in the first place. You can barely figure out that the car is moving as the suspension filters most if not all irregularities of the road.

The owner then, gave us a demo of the acceleration: It is simply amazing and the closer you can get on Earth, is when a lightly loaded jet liner takes off on a short runway. Your body is literally stuck to the back rest, and the motors keep pushing like there is no tomorrow. The driver shut it off at 110 MPH, as we were closing very fast with some slow vehicles in front of us. All this is done in perfect silence and incredible stability.

That car is a fantastic highway and miles swallower. It probably would not do too well on twisty roads, but is incredibly efficient on most American roads. Range is about 280-370 miles depending on your foot. The instrumentation is top with this giant 17 inches screen in the center console.

Tesla may be losing money but they are visionaries which are changing the order of things and making the Oil and traditional car maker fat pigs shake in their leather chairs. And this is for the best.

I cannot afford a Tesla, but it would be a very nice second car with my 997.

Yves

Old 08-25-2015, 08:11 AM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Jcsomerv
It is all torque.
true but don't forget the late great C Shelby, "Horsepower sells cars...but torque wins races".

Old 08-25-2015, 12:04 PM
Jcsomerv is on a distinguished road
Drove a Tesla today

As I said,,, great technology for a commuter car. Fantastic leap forward.

For those who say "it kills my Porsche in a race", I offer up the Ring articles. Porsche has never been about 0-60... For 60 years Porsche has been about balanced, sustained performance - acceleration and braking - think little 4-cylinder 356s slaying large block Corvettes.

Every manufacturer on the planet take their sports sedans/cars to the Ring as the definitive "ultimate test". Really find it hard to believe that somebody would question Ring times as being meaningful, especially on a Porsche 997 forum.

It's a nice car with incredible torque and represents a great technical achievement. But let's not get carried away with all the hype. It's a very expensive auto with some major limitations and it's not a sports sedan/car that competes with Porsches.

Last edited by Jcsomerv; 08-25-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:12 PM
cool flash is on a distinguished road
My brother has one of those 700hp monsters as well.

I have not driven it or anything.

Does it have soul, does it provoke emotions like a vehicle with combustion engine?

Regards,

CF

Old 08-25-2015, 02:42 PM
porschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really nice
one passed me in wyoming early in july at 120mph plus. Impressive. however, it is mostly a point A to point A car here in Texas. Not a recharging station between San Antonio and El Paso. It is an in town commuter car. Lots of money when a honda civic works fine as a in town commuter for $20K.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:16 PM
Robgts is on a distinguished road
Just wait for the "E-911". don't think so? 919...LeMans...918...sold out. Panamera all electric being tested. 4 small electric motors on each corner with fully adjustable suspension and 4 wheel steering...6 min Ring times

Old 08-26-2015, 11:17 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Was beside a P85D in my 997TT cruising at ~50mph and when he floored it I thought to myself that it would likely beat me. lol It really moves for a 4500lb car.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:20 PM
kkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nice
tell us more...

Old 08-26-2015, 01:42 PM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
My co-worker has one. 85 non P. It is fast and all torque. Fun as hell from red light to red light. His is an absolute POS. About 1 in 8 are lemons. He has had it in the shop 6 times for 4 different issues. Nothing at three times yet to claim the lemon law and Tesla won't buy it back. Last issue he had a battery/electric/motor issue. $62k was the bill. They fixed it instead of taking the car back or totaling it. I saw the bill.

He wishes he could get out of it after one year but he is upside down as values of the 85 have plummeted.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:46 PM
rayng is on a distinguished road
wife drives an s60.
no issues. very reliable.
gets lots of attention.

smokes my 7.1tt in l.a. roads.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:25 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jcsomerv
For 60 years Porsche has been about balanced, sustained performance - acceleration and braking - think little 4-cylinder 356s slaying large block Corvettes.

It's a very expensive auto with some major limitations and it's not a sports sedan/car that competes with Porsches.
Exactly. Just reference the 50 launch controls test of the 991TT.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Drove a Tesla today