997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Need Advice, Want integrated Nav, Bluetooth, Backup Camera, Streaming Audio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 02:07 PM
love2drive is on a distinguished road
Need Advice, Want integrated Nav, Bluetooth, Backup Camera, Streaming Audio

Hi, I just bought a 2012 911 GTS and Love It so much. I'm finding...the lack of integrated Navigation and data streaming (Pandora/mp3/.. through phone) into the stock PCM unit to be distracting. My car has Bluetooth but apparently, only for calls. The center storage console does have the physical USB, AUX, IPHONE, connections. Of these, only IPHONE shows up via PCM source button menu. I believe the following to be the reason.. since my car also has a two disk CD player, located above glove compartment, probably the CD is connected to the PCM AUX input and is identified by the PCM showing up as "CD" (one of the four sources displayed am,fm,iphone,cd) instead/in replace of AUX. I speculate, I'd have to physically remove or disconnect the cd player form the PCM to register AUX on the screen. But I could be wrong. Does anybody know for sure? Even if I tried that and it worked, using a wired AUX is not an ideal solution.
Another question I'm wondering about is why there is no USB displayed as a possible source?? What is the physical USB port for? In case anyone is wondering, I don't have an iPhone.
I feel that the lack of Nav keeps one hand away from wheel too much, especially painful with a manual transmission. Looking at my "small" Samsung Note4 display for Nav is more distracting than if Nav showed up on the center console display. Just today, I got a dash mount for the phone which will help in that regards somewhat, but I still would like a the Nav integrated with radio/phone...so it will all go through the car's BOSE speakers and I'd be able to hear Nav over the radio/phone call if all three audio were active... I'd also love a rear backup and if possible forward parking camera integrated. I'm not keen on the aftermarket solution that comes with anther rearview mirror with integrated display for the camera video.

This car came pure and Stock which i appreciated when buying. I know..extensive modification's probably Will depreciate the value. But if done tastefully, professionally, and with added function/value, do you think potential future buyers would mind?

Any suggestions, either for a solution or one deploring the thought of aftermarket modification, would be Greatly appreciated. Looking for quality, a fully integrated solution that will not break my already dented bank account too much. Also, one that would keep depreciation at a minimum?

This beautiful car is one of the purest, most tastefully optioned incarnations of the 997.2 911 variants. 6mt, lsd, full leather, gts, rwd, coupe, beautiful silver rims,... I want to honour that purity by keeping any changes minimist in nature especially without altering the drive. In the end, i may decide not to touch it. Interestingly, I think in this case, modern integrated techology could help me enjoy the purity of the car more by minimizing distractions from the drive. Integrated Nav and data streaming will actually enable one to enjoy the car''s driving dynamics better. A backup/front camera would help prevent a heart breaking mistake.

I posted some pictures for reference and your enjoyment.

Thank You All in advance for any guidance, advice, suggestions..

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	A8.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	361.9 KB
ID:	435713   Click image for larger version

Name:	A7.jpeg
Views:	146
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	435714  
Attached Images  

Last edited by love2drive; 12-23-2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:04 PM
1GoodTurn is on a distinguished road
Hi. Beautiful car! I am about to put myself in the same situation as you. Looking for solutions as well. Going from an '09 that had all that "stuff" to another with other stuff I want more. But concerned about losing (especially) the Nav. Looking into fabricating something specific. I am in the Elon, NC (Burlington) area. PM me if you'd like to discuss ideas.

Old 12-24-2015, 05:05 AM
MrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud of
Porsche has always been a bit behind when it comes to the tech stuff. though I am surprised you cannot stream music though the bluetooth since I can on my 2010 Panamera. Since you are new to the Porsche (the 997 is my39th Porsche the panamera my 40th) world I can understand why one are hesitant to touch things. There are a few ways to do what you want, one would be to find a OEM unit with nav (though that would be costly and require a lot more work to install. Or you could go with the trans it blue (I think that is what it's called) and use a nav app on you cell phone, you can steam music with it as well. I have a Abarth and use the waze app in that car. As far as cameras go, well there are companies like Nav-tv that make units for Porsche's (I considered it for my Panamera but it was not worth the hassle for me), though I think as you drive the car you will get comfortable with its size and probably not need cameras. I have them on a few of my cars and rarely use them. My best advise would to keep this in mind, you bought a car for you to enjoy, not the next person so do whatever makes the car a better ownership experience for you, not the next owner.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:55 PM
dmz
dmz is on a distinguished road
If you are into all the electronic toy in your car, you got the wrong car. You should have bought an M4.

Seriously, the 997 is a loud car. When i am driving my 997.2, I can barely hear the stereo over the road and exhaust noise and people can barely hear me through my Bluetooth. So I turn off all that stuff and concentrate in my driving.

Old 12-24-2015, 04:20 PM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
Search threads for Nav installs. Pioneer makes nice units that can go right into your car and NOT diminish it at all. If you are concerned about resale, I for one would buy a modified stereo in a PCar, if It's done right. There are plenty of threads here for you to look up and make a good decision on what is the best route to go.

I'm going to be putting a Pioneer APP radio in my car. Less money than a full blown Nav Head Unit and works with your iPhone and can stream music AND the maps through the stereo. No need for a Nav head unit, which needs to be updated. Google Maps is always updated for the most part.

Great looking car...get a great looking stereo and have a very good shop install and you will be very happy with the end result. I hope to have my APP radio installed early next year.

Old 12-26-2015, 02:16 PM
marlon 997 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had an Alpine HD unit installed in my previous P-car. It looked great, worked very well and had a back-up camera/nav/bluetooth/Pandora, etc. If I remember correctly, it came out to $3000.

http://al-eds.com/store/marina-del-r...e-997-carrera/

Old 12-26-2015, 02:28 PM
ANOTHER option is to install a Bluetooth Dongle. Cheap and easy. It will allow you to stream anything from your iPhone/Android. As far as the Nav is concerned, although I have it, I never use it. I use Waze or Google Maps on my phone. WAY better Nav than the Porsche one.

More info on the Bluetooth Dongle (ViseeO Tune2air WMA1000 - Wireless Bluetooth Music Interface Adaptor) can be found here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...opinion-2.html

OR here

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...air-bluetooth/

Last edited by marlon 997; 12-26-2015 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:57 AM
I think I solved my streaming data & navigation issue with a cool $25 solution. Will try it today and post back with the result.

As for a backup camera, I'm looking at getting a porsche dealer to install this: NTV-KIT265 rgb-pcm30
From site:
https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT265/rgb-pcm30.html

Anyone tried this? How does it look?

Thanks

Last edited by love2drive; 12-30-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:31 AM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
Gosh that's a lot of money. You can get an aftermarket installed with better options than that. I had a NavTV model installed for my iPod and I hated it.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:19 AM
Kellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by love2drive
I believe the following to be the reason.. since my car also has a two disk CD player, located above glove compartment, probably the CD is connected to the PCM AUX input and is identified by the PCM showing up as "CD" (one of the four sources displayed am,fm,iphone,cd) instead/in replace of AUX.
Thats for CD storage. Is not a CD player.

Have you looked at a ViseeO Tune2Air? Offers bluetooth streaming of music including tracks and information, navigation and cell phone functionality. Had one in my BMW, worked great and was only $100 or so.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:35 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Here's a link to my stereo install if you want some ideas: has Apple CarPlay, navi, bluetooth, mp3, etc.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...osh-focal.html
congrats on your new GTS!

Old 01-07-2016, 08:47 AM
Just to follow up on the solutions I found/realized.

- no aux/USB in source menu (despite and assuming your car has the aux,usb,ipod inputs in center console) This happens for me since i had a CD player. To fix, first put any CD into CD player and select CD from source. This will enable you to go to options under CD.. then ENABLE usb &aux. Now, when you hit source button, you'll see aux and usb. (This is not obvious, not in user manual, nowhere to be found on the internet...until now)

- pcm 3.0 with phone bluetooth can't handle streaming data. So, can't use smart phone's nav and music through Internet or mp3 to your Bose speakers --> Solution is simple after doing above to enable aux. Next, buy a small $29 bluetooth to aux converter device With internal lithium ion battery (found in Best Buy) and a small mobile chargable battery. You want to have a unit with a built in internal battery since this will be the quietest offering the clearest audio to your speakers. If you try to plug into car charger or the usb for power, youll get alot of feedthrough noise to your speakers...not good. When you rely on the device's internal battery, you'll get clean audio transfer. Meanwhile charge up a second mobile battery through usb or car charger which can be used later to.. (after this mobile battery charger is fully charged, disconnect it from the car's cigarette lighter or usb power source first..) simultaneously charge and use the bluetooth to aux device when its own internal battery is low. Your smart phone links to car's bluetooth for phone calls, AND to the bluetooth to aux device located in center console. Now, you can make,receive phone calls AND stream data music / navigation instructions , through your cars audio you'll need a phone suction cup holder to secure phone on top of front dash. Use charger port on left of passenger side foot well.

- rearview camera --> no acceptable solution found yet

I found the above to be an acceptable solution as it doesn't involve after market modifications and leverages the car's and your smart phone's capabilities to their fullest. (I have Samsung Note4 with unlimited data plan) I typically use Google maps/yelp for navigation..

Next I'd like a wireless backup camera to send video to cell phone when in reverse. Have seen a couple that might do trick.. updates soon.

Last edited by love2drive; 01-07-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:44 AM