997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Change new battery 1 week ago and after 6 days was flat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 03:23 AM
charidemou is an unknown quantity at this point
Change new battery 1 week ago and after 6 days was flat

i have Porsche carrera 996.2 MY 2002 3,6 engine , and i change to new battery Exide 77AH , after almost 1 week the car was flat battery. The reading was 10.3 Volts.

I check if any lamb of the trunk or rear of the boot or a any other device left on but all was ok.

Pleas be noted that the car has navigation and alarm.

i always locked the car with alarm and i am driving it once a wee or twice.

please help.

Best regards
Marios charidemou
CYPRUS

Old 11-30-2017, 05:25 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like you definitely have a draw unless your 2 trips/week are very short ones that aren't replenishing the power used to start the car. Anything aftermarket installed, (dash cam, stereo with aftermarket amp, Bluetooth kit, etc) that might be drawing more than nornal current?

Probably the best way to figure out which circuit is to get inside the car, lock the doors by pressing the button twice quickly, which defeats the internal motion sensor, then comfort yourself down to the fuse panel with a multimeter methodically going through all of the fuses monitoring any amperage draw by touching the backs of the fuse contacts.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:32 AM
Thanks a lot for your help!!!! I will try all of your kind guidance and check all the fuses. All extras of the car are factory fitted there are nothing aftetmarket.

thanking you very much for your kind help
best regards
Marios
Cyprus

Old 11-30-2017, 03:37 PM
Sailingfun is on a distinguished road
Are you leaving the key in the ignition? If so remove the key and your problem is solved!

Old 11-30-2017, 03:44 PM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sailingfun
Are you leaving the key in the ignition? If so remove the key and your problem is solved!
You must have missed it in his initial post, which says -
Originally Posted by charidemou
i always locked the car with alarm and i am driving it once a wee or twice.
The other option is to hardwire in a pigtail to a C-Tek or Battery Tender battery maintainer and just plug it in when you park it in the garage so it keeps the battery charged. I plug in all my P-cars when I park them since it could be a couple days or weeks before one of them goes out and then I don't have to worry about low battery issues when I do decide to drive one. I use the Battery Tender brand and have a couple of their multi-bank chargers where there are multiple charging feeds from the same primary unit - works great and is less expensive and cleaner looking than buying multiple independent units. Both are available on Amazon.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by Sailingfun
hi! Thanks for reply!... i never leave the key on , i always locked the car
And the alarm is enabled!... is the alarm consuming a lot of power in order to flat the battery in 1 week?

Old 11-30-2017, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by Petza914

The other option is to hardwire in a pigtail to a C-Tek or Battery Tender battery maintainer and just plug it in when you park it in the garage so it keeps the battery charged. I plug in all my P-cars when I park them since it could be a couple days or weeks before one of them goes out and then I don't have to worry about low battery issues when I do decide to drive one. I use the Battery Tender brand and have a couple of their multi-bank chargers where there are multiple charging feeds from the same primary unit - works great and is less expensive and cleaner looking than buying multiple independent units. Both are available on Amazon.
Thanks very much for your reply and help!
This must be good idea to buy battery tender so as to be always fully charged ....my best regards!

Old 12-01-2017, 04:13 AM
The car consumes the least amount of power when its locked as it puts some of the systems to sleep, do you're doing the right thing by locking it in your case to try and preserve battery power.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:19 AM
CHAOS236 will become famous soon enoughCHAOS236 will become famous soon enough
Its the harness that goes from starter /batter/alternator. Replace it and you will be good to go.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:33 AM
Joe Valha is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Petza914

I've got a 2006 997.1 C4 Cab. Which Battery Tender charger would I need? Can't quite figure it out from their website....

Old 12-07-2017, 10:02 AM
Joe Valha is an unknown quantity at this point
Nevermind, figured it out....

Old 12-07-2017, 12:01 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CHAOS236
Its the harness that goes from starter /batter/alternator. Replace it and you will be good to go.
?
AFAIK
That’s more a solution for a slow crank/no crank when engine is hot.
But once enough sitting time passes, the engine stars no problem.

The op appears to have some sort of constant draw from battery.

I would re-charge the battery fully and see if the problem persists. It can be one time thing (i know, u said u checked everything)

Battery tender will only cover up the problem, if there is a problem. imo
U should have one anyways tho. Lol