997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 Turbo Decklid Fixed Wing Swap Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 03:36 PM
Hi-Arc is on a distinguished road
997 Turbo Decklid Fixed Wing Swap Question

I am swapping my original 997.2S decklid for a 997 Turbo Decklid. It came with no wiring harness but has excellent factory matching white paint! Going with a fixed wing setup so no hydraulics or electric actuators. my question - is this the correct part number harness for my swap? 997-662-670-70-MS56 or should I order and use a factory 997 Turbo Decklid harness? Also, has anyone used The Rennkit module to avoid error messages on dash or am I better off re programming.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:02 AM
anthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond repute
I do not believe there would be much different between your existing decklid harness and the factory 997 Turbo Decklid harness. The reason I am saying this is because I did the conversion using a factory 997 Turbo Decklid that included the wiring harness and it was basically a plug and play. I unplugged and removed the existing and simply installed the factory Turbo decklid (i.e. new slim fan and Fabspeed intake for hydraulics clearance), plugged it in and it has been working flawlessly for years. I plan on selling my full factory 997 Turbo Decklid setup if you have any interest.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:41 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by anthinino
I do not believe there would be much different between your existing decklid harness and the factory 997 Turbo Decklid harness. The reason I am saying this is because I did the conversion using a factory 997 Turbo Decklid that included the wiring harness and it was basically a plug and play. I unplugged and removed the existing and simply installed the factory Turbo decklid (i.e. new slim fan and Fabspeed intake for hydraulics clearance), plugged it in and it has been working flawlessly for years. I plan on selling my full factory 997 Turbo Decklid setup if you have any interest.
The connection pins inside the Turbo harness are different to be able to control the hydraulic pump (not needed here for the fixed wing setup) and the additional brake light, but the connectors are the same. The Turbo harness is only like $120 to be able to do it right and have it be totally reversible by going back to the other harness. The active aero is pretty cool to watch in your rear view mirror though, especially when you see the kid in the passenger seat of the car behind you perk up and start pointing. You sure you want to do fixed wing. I converted my silver car from fixed to active. I have a working 997 hydraulics setup I'd sell for $650 that's on my wife's car if you're interested. I bought another Eram kit to put on hers about 2 years ago but other projects have superseded it.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:04 AM
anthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond repute
I would think that the key is not whether the decklid wing harness pins are different, but because he has a fix wing what happens when he plugs the decklid harness into the cars harness. I am saying if he has a fix wing decklid then there should not be a difference if he uses his existing harness which will handle the lights features, versus purchasing another harness for a non-fix type decklid, like the factory Turbo. He needs to be cognizant that if he uses a harness that includes any type of lift feature whether its his existing or a factory turbo this may trigger a fault, with a fixed wing.

Last edited by anthinino; 11-21-2018 at 07:19 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:34 AM
I do not want to run an aftermarket air cleaner is my reason for going fixed wing. I wish the Rams would work with the OEM setup but definitely not enough room. Good point on the harness Pete. I do not want to cut my original. Although all I should need to do is lengthen at connector for new third brake light location. I assume my stock fan clearance and operation will still be ok. Bingo on the fixed Harness. Thought this would eliminate the error message without programming and a cleaner setup with less wiring.

https://www.5150motorsport.com/fixed...22-670-70.html

Old 11-21-2018, 11:14 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
That harness will give you the correct wiring for the light, but I'm pretty sure you'll still need to code out active aero with a Durametric, PIWIS, or similar device to not get errors.

The fan mounting screws are in different positions for the non Turbo and Turbo decklid so you'll either need a fan from a turbo or make a modified mounting bracket that has holes for the non Turbo fan and then holes to mount the plate to the Turbo decklid. I do not believe you can use the Turbo fan location with your stock airbox but I may be wrong on that. When I did my wife's and mine, we used an EVOMS airbox in hers and a Fabspeed J-pipe on mine. Hers got a turbo fan and my RUF decklid is different from both.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:03 PM
Looks like Magnus MotorSports sells a slimline Turbo fan.. Hopefully this will allow me to keep my stock air cleaner. Does the turbo fan spin in the opposite direction vs the 997 unit?

Old 11-21-2018, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by Hi-Arc
Does the turbo fan spin in the opposite direction vs the 997 unit?
I've heard that about the Turbo fan, but haven't paid enough attention to confirm that's the case. Seems like either pulling air down through from above or pushing it out the top would work, so not sure that it matters that much.