997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2006 997.1 Alarm, Lock, trunk light mystery - new owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 06:41 AM
ultrahuck is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 997.1 Alarm, Lock, trunk light mystery - new owner

Just got the car (my first Porsche 2006 Carrera S Cab, manual) and knew the car had lock / alarm issues, as noted in PPI - please help with diagnosis before I spend $$ on something I can fix myself.

Symptoms:
- Press keyfob, get two beeps car tries to lock but won't. If I open trunk and engine covers and press fob, I get three beeps.
- Gas door is locked shut. I have to pull the ring to open for gas.
- trunk light is inoperable. Tested with voltmeter and light contacts not producing 12v. Engine light working fine. Not sure if it goes out when I shut the lid.
- trunk and engine cover lid switch pack is brand new and locks / unlocks both lids flawlessly.

I've been told the two beeps is telling me something is "open" but not sure where to check next.

Thanks in advance for help from forum members.

Huck

Old 02-14-2019, 08:07 AM
Recruiter_Bruno is an unknown quantity at this point
Are you on any of the several different 997 Facebook groups?
If not join them and post your questions there.
Thousands of members and many helpful people that could point you in the right direction.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:23 PM
Thank. Will try there as well.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:46 PM
Is this not a 997 forum where members post questions about issues with their cars?

Old 02-15-2019, 06:44 AM
Kellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud of
Google remotekey from mods4cars. Small chance someone installed one which customizes the car lock/unlock settings. It would be in passenger footwell by the fusebox, only takes 3 screws to see.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:42 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
The double beep does mean something is open. The one most often overlooked is the glovebox as there is a finger switch on the back side of it that tells it if the glovebox is open. It should not prevent the car from locking though. The only ones that do that I believe are the doors, and maybe just the driver's door. On the glovebox, if someone had installed some type of aftermarket stereo or something with a portion in the glovebox and tried to run a wire from the center console to the glovebox, they likely damaged that switch (ask me how I know - happened when I installed my Dension and took me forever to find out why).

Good luck with it.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:07 AM
Thanks
@Petza914

Will give it a look! Regards. Huck

Old 02-15-2019, 11:08 AM
Thanks. Kellen. Will give it a look.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:10 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Petza914
The double beep does mean something is open. The one most often overlooked is the glovebox as there is a finger switch on the back side of it that tells it if the glovebox is open. It should not prevent the car from locking though. The only ones that do that I believe are the doors, and maybe just the driver's door. On the glovebox, if someone had installed some type of aftermarket stereo or something with a portion in the glovebox and tried to run a wire from the center console to the glovebox, they likely damaged that switch (ask me how I know - happened when I installed my Dension and took me forever to find out why).

Good luck with it.
IIRC, single beep indicates door, hood, glove box, etc. open. Two beeps indicates a defect in the system and book says go to dealer. As someone already mentioned could be RemoteKey module or something else added to the alarm system.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:44 PM
Hello all, checked the glove box and the switch looks ok . . . I think I'm going to have to bring the car to the dealer with the remote and have it all sorted. No aftermarket items have been installed so that's not an issue. Will keep you posted and thanks for taking your time to offer your assistance. Regards. Huck

Old 03-08-2019, 04:08 PM
Toella is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by ultrahuck
Just got the car (my first Porsche 2006 Carrera S Cab, manual) and knew the car had lock / alarm issues, as noted in PPI - please help with diagnosis before I spend $$ on something I can fix myself.

Symptoms:
- Press keyfob, get two beeps car tries to lock but won't. If I open trunk and engine covers and press fob, I get three beeps.
- Gas door is locked shut. I have to pull the ring to open for gas.
- trunk light is inoperable. Tested with voltmeter and light contacts not producing 12v. Engine light working fine. Not sure if it goes out when I shut the lid.
- trunk and engine cover lid switch pack is brand new and locks / unlocks both lids flawlessly.

I've been told the two beeps is telling me something is "open" but not sure where to check next.

Thanks in advance for help from forum members.

Huck
I also recently purchased a 2006 C4S Cab manual and have the same door lock issue. I believe it is a lock micro switch(es) which requires a new lock assembly (~$150 ) as they don't sell individually. I have not taken it in to get fixed yet.

In addition to what you mentioned (doors don't lock, two beeps), I also have noticed the following:
-Doors do not lock manually with key
-Interior lights stay on
-Doors do lock when pressing button on dash.
-Gas cap is sometimes locked but not always
-My frunk light does not turn on; I have not tested it or tried changing bulb
-Driver side window does not go up last 10mm when shutting door (this may be a different microswitch or symptom of same issue)

There are some DIY guides out though not a super quick fix as door has to come apart -- an indy familiar with 997/996 should be able to isolate and fix if you prefer that over dealership.

Please let us know what fixes your issue.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:05 PM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Toella
I also recently purchased a 2006 C4S Cab manual and have the same door lock issue. I believe it is a lock micro switch(es) which requires a new lock assembly (~$150 ) as they don't sell individually. I have not taken it in to get fixed yet.

In addition to what you mentioned (doors don't lock, two beeps), I also have noticed the following:
-Doors do not lock manually with key
-Interior lights stay on
-Doors do lock when pressing button on dash.
-Gas cap is sometimes locked but not always
-My frunk light does not turn on; I have not tested it or tried changing bulb
-Driver side window does not go up last 10mm when shutting door (this may be a different microswitch or symptom of same issue)

There are some DIY guides out though not a super quick fix as door has to come apart -- an indy familiar with 997/996 should be able to isolate and fix if you prefer that over dealership.

Please let us know what fixes your issue.
I would get the window drop / raise issue fixed first and see if that doesn't resolve the other issue. Post a photo of both your interior door handles taken at a 45 degree angle from above.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:41 PM
I would get the window drop / raise issue fixed first and see if that doesn't resolve the other issue. Post a photo of both your interior door handles taken at a 45 degree angle from above.
The driver side is definitely has more play and seems less flush than passenger side.

Driver side

passenger side

Old 03-09-2019, 07:03 AM
Originally Posted by Toella
The driver side is definitely has more play and seems less flush than passenger side.

Driver side

passenger side
Sit inside the car with the door closed. Take the driver's side handle and gently lift it a little, press it in, maybe wiggle it a little at the same time, and let me know if the window goes up to its closed position.

Old 03-09-2019, 05:17 PM
Sit inside the car with the door closed. Take the driver's side handle and gently lift it a little, press it in, maybe wiggle it a little at the same time, and let me know if the window goes up to its closed position.
Made many attempts with no luck. Window had no movement.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2006 997.1 Alarm, Lock, trunk light mystery - new owner