997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

rear lid not opening--help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 11:41 AM
Storman is on a distinguished road
rear lid not opening--help

I have a 997.1 2007 c4s. The rear engine lid will not open when I use the switch. I can hear the latch trying to open. I believe it is the module. I don't think it's the switch lid. Anyone know where this module is located? Under the driver's seat? Is this a simple re and re of a module or actuator?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks

Norm

Old 09-03-2020, 02:20 PM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Storman
I have a 997.1 2007 c4s. The rear engine lid will not open when I use the switch. I can hear the latch trying to open. I believe it is the module. I don't think it's the switch lid. Anyone know where this module is located? Under the driver's seat? Is this a simple re and re of a module or actuator?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks

Norm
On my 997.2, if you remove the driver’s side taillight assembly there is a wire taped in the bucket to pull to open the engine lid if memory serves.

Old 09-04-2020, 08:33 AM
Astur will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by cairo94507
On my 997.2, if you remove the driver’s side taillight assembly there is a wire taped in the bucket to pull to open the engine lid if memory serves.
Yes this is true and should help you open the lid.

Going forward I suggest that you do the following mod to make future access to the emergency release cable much easier. This is what I did and it works great:
  1. While looking down at the engine and in the vicinity of the left (driver's side) motor mount, look for the emergency release cable that goes into the taillight.
  2. Gently pull on it until the cable comes out completely.
  3. Remove your license plate and you should see an approximately 1/2" hole in the bumper.
  4. Route the cable within the engine compartment making sure that it doesn't bind or kink on anything
  5. Snake the release cable through the hole in the bumper so it now protrudes outside of the car.
  6. Pull on the cable to make sure that it will open the latch. If it doesn't recheck to make sure it's not binding on something.
  7. Loop the cable and adhere it to the back of your license plate... I used Gorilla Tape.
  8. Remount your license plate.
I think that everyone should do this mod because having to "fish" the release cable through the taillight with a coat hanger or similar is ridiculous and not even to mention risking marring the surrounding paint or gasket.

Old 09-07-2020, 09:31 AM
Storman is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys for the input. Great idea for the hidden plate access. Wish I knew about that before the module malfunctioned. I have taken to my car to my Porsche mechanic and he got access to the cable through the wheel well. Remember I couldn't open the lid to get to the tail light removal. The cable is set for me to get access to the engine oil fill until the part comes in. Back order for a couple months.

Again, great idea Astur about the plate access cable, I will pass it on .