997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

NAV-TV Bluetooth Adapter for 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 03:25 PM
scuzy is infamous around these parts
Nice install notes. What i meant by was it worth it was comparing this and the GW500 + bluetooth module. Sorry for all the confusion comparing this and the factor unit.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:44 PM
bob/ft.worth is infamous around these parts
I have the GW500 Ipod unit and just de-installed the Dennison BT module. The dennison BT module is (sorry eric) pretty much worthless. Trying to make or answer a call is an exercise in frustration as you try to figure out the right buttons to push in the correct sequence. Making a call is near impossible while driving. I gave up on it and just left it disconnected in the car. That was my experiences with it; others may be different. Initially i got it to "work" with my old samsung phone but when i switched to the iPhone, it gave up the ghost.

I personally think, you should spend your money elsewhere if thinking telephone integration. Also, Atomic 80 i think gives the price of the porsche 666 phone option but not the install cost which i remember reading was alot because it's many hours andv a complicated install.

On the other hand, I really like the GW ipod unit, quirkiness and all. That's all I listen to.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:07 PM
opps... clarification: use one of the other options rather than the dennison BT, is what i meant to say. but that's just one opinion.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:14 PM
Leaper is infamous around these parts
Great install notes, Bob! Now I think I can do it myself - ordering a Tooki today!

Old 12-01-2007, 04:26 PM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for sharing. I think I'll order it as well. Too bad there's no group buy for it.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:46 PM
I took advantage of Suncoast's 10% off sale during Thanksgiving, so $75 bucks off.
Maybe some one needs to talk to Suncoast. They have sponsored group buys before. Or Nav-TV directly

more instructions on Renntech

Old 12-01-2007, 06:22 PM
Here some shots of the screens showing the cell carrier and signal strength. sorry for the poor quality of the pics...
(ps... the MOST loop was fine with the tooki. I also have the Dennison GW500/ipod and Porsche Nav in the loop with the tooki)

Main screen

Pushing the Tel putton gets this screen

Old 12-02-2007, 07:33 PM
That looks cool. Think i might have to wait for them to have a sale before getting the tooki

Old 12-04-2007, 02:36 AM
CaymenGTS is infamous around these partsCaymenGTS is infamous around these parts
Looks good!

Old 12-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Anyone with the Tooki kit also have a mObridge ipod kit? I am thinking of buying the tooki as well.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:14 AM
sfguy is infamous around these parts
I just self-installed both the m0bridge iPod adaptor and the Tooki Bluetooth handsfree phone adaptor into my 2008 997 Turbo Cab today. Bob - many thanks for your detailed notes and pictures - these were invaluable. It was slow going to remove all the trim pieces and turn all the screws (mostly due to unfamiliarity), but once the PCM was out the actual wiring of the power and the fibre was very easy and fast. Putting everything back was easy as by then I had figured out all the steps to remove & reinstall the PCM.

Very first impressions are that the Tooki and the m0bridge seem to coexist without any problems. I've only played with the new system for about 15 minutes so this is by no means a comprehensive test. It will take a few weeks to get completely comfortable with both the interfaces (as well as the PCM too) and do a longer-term test.

The Tooki (ordered directly from NAV-TV) didn't come with any install instructions (which was expected given Bob's post, but really not ideal), and also didn't come with a microphone (which was not expected and presumably a mistake). So I wasn't able to test the Tooki fully, but on calling my voicemail, I could hear the other end of the call through the speakers. I will be calling NAV-TV Monday to find out where my microphone is.

A few preliminary observations:

On the Tooki:
* The supplied power harness is really easy - you can remove the ISO power plug from the back of the PCM, and connect the Tooki to fused power without any soldering / cutting / splicing etc.
* The Tooki's phone book is not independent from the phone's - it copies the phone book over each time on connection (which takes a few seconds). This is a shame - I have a Blackberry 8700c with 5000+ contacts, many with several phone #s, most of whom I will never call from the car. I would much prefer to have the option of a separate, car-managed phone book to control what numbers are usable from the phone book. This feature means I will never use the phone book as most of the people I want to call won't be in the first few that get copied across
* The system does pause the iPod and resume the track playing after the call finishes, which is what you would hope, but it's nice to see it work in practice

On the m0bridge:
* I tapped the power from the Tooki PCM power harness using splice connectors - this seemed easiest and avoided the need to add another fuse (as it should work off the PCM fuse in the fusebox)
* Random mode is not preserved after switching the engine off - this is a known limitation of the PCM
* It takes many seconds to refresh the full track list to become usable when scrolling past the first 99 items in a list - again I think this is a PCM limitation
* There seems to be a slightly audible ascending-pitch whine over the speakers for a couple of seconds as the iPod spins up when starting to play for the first time. I have an iPod Classic 160GB with a hard disk, so I'm assuming that as the disk starts up, this causes the whining noise. I'm surprised that this happens as I thought the connection is all digital. Perhaps this is caused by the iPod at source?
* I haven't tested the Aux in yet
* I was hoping that the cover art would be visible when playing, but all you have is a white screen saying 'm0bridge'. So probably no need to mount the iPod on a cradle to the right of the PCM, apart from perhaps to unlock the iPod wheel to access podcasts (no way to do this from the PCM interface)

You do have to lock the car and let the system settle / fully switch off for up to 10 minutes after the install, otherwise you can get errors which prevent you from using the PCM system at all.

I put the Tooki in the cavity behind the climate control panel, below the PCM. This will let me add the microphone by just removing the right-hand leather side piece, rather than having to remove the whole PCM unit again.

The m0bridge unit is a little bigger than the Tooki unit. It might fit on the plastic wall behind the PCM, but the disadvantage of that is (1) the Aux in won't be accessible to plug/unplug that (though that could be solved by running a permanent extension cable), and (2) the SD card slot (for firmware upgrades and future MP3 playback) won't be accessible. For now the m0bridge and iPod are in the glove box, but I'll have to find a more permanent location. The cables supplied by m0bridge are very long (to allow an in-trunk install) so they will need to be looped and held in place.

Hope this is helpful to others considering one or both of these interesting pieces of kit.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the feedback SFguy. I am in the San Jose Area and i will be installing both of these units over the weekend. Besides resetting the car for 10 minutes is t hat all i need to get the mobridge going ? The tooki is pretty straight forward i assume. I think i will leave my ipod in the trunk as well as the mobridge unit.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:49 PM
sfguy is infamous around these parts
For me it was as simple as plugging it all into the fibre chain and supplying constant B+ fused power. It all just worked as expected - no PCM reprogramming needed (I don't have either the CD changer or the phone kit from the factory).

I removed the out fibre from the PCM connector (presumably going to the amplifier) and connected the Tooki in fibre in its place. I then connected the long m0bridge in fibre to the Tooki out connector, and finally used a fibre in-line joining adaptor (both Tooki and m0bridge supplied one) to connect the long m0bridge out fibre to the old PCM out fibre. I then locked the car and left it to sit for a few minutes, and it was all working fine after unlocking and turning the electrics on.

I suggest testing everything before replacing the PCM. The biggest job is removing/replacing all the trim and getting the PCM in and back out.

I'm pretty sure I will have the iPod in the glove compartment now. I will want to move it in and out of the car when I fly and to sync podcasts etc., and also so I can manually start podcasts while in the car using the m0bridge unlock feature. I also don't want to deal with running cables outside of the passenger compartment. I still need to find somewhere to put the m0bridge permanently, probably on a wall in the passenger footwell or under the glove compartment.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:08 AM
Leaper is infamous around these parts
I have the original phone module. Will I need to disconnect it or disable it in order to get the Tooki working?

/Sven

Old 12-11-2007, 08:28 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Yes, you'll have to remove the original phone module. I took it out because it would've just been extra deadweight if I left it in.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: NAV-TV Bluetooth Adapter for 997