997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

NAV-TV Bluetooth Adapter for 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Leaper is infamous around these parts
OK. A stupid question maybe, but where in the cockpit is the module located?

BTW, did you remove the passive handset too, or does it work with the Tooki?

Thanks,

/Sven

Old 12-12-2007, 04:57 PM
pjjameso is infamous around these parts
how did you find the denison ipod unit? Good or bad?

Old 12-12-2007, 10:53 PM
scuzy is infamous around these parts
i just installed hte mobridge and tooki unit and they worked great. Took about 1 hours install to finish. Hardest part was finding a good location for the units. I'm likeing the tooki and mobridge.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:34 PM
sfguy is infamous around these parts
Scuzy - where did you put the m0bridge unit? Mine is still sitting under the passenger footwell carpet, with the iPod above in the glove compartment. I'd like to mount it somewhere more permanent but still have the iPod cable be able to reach to the glove compartment.

The Tooki easily fits behind the AC controls under the PCM, and doesn't need to be accessible as it is firmware upgradable via bluetooth. However the m0bridge is bigger, and you need to have access as necessary to upgrade the firmware using the SD card slot. You can run an extension cable for the 3.5mm aux input, but no such thing is possible for the SD card.

Also, I got the microphone from NAV-TV today, and mounted it just in front of the left-hand map light in the center-upper dome console, where the Homelink controls are. The alternative was at the top of the driver side A-pillar, which is slightly closer to the driver's mouth, but would be more prominent/ugly and could be more noisy (especially in a cab). It needs to pointed so it is 45-degrees down to the driver's mouth. Everything worked fine on a test call while parked, but I'll have to see how well I can be heard while driving (both top up and top down - not that I have much hope of this being usable top down). I'd appreciate any thoughts on what seems to work best.

I don't think the Tooki can see anything in my address book from my BlackBerry 8700c - this is apparently phone dependent on whether it works or not. Not a big deal as I plan to dial mostly from the phone anyhow. Also, there is no "mute" feature, but I'm assuming you can use this on your phone. I'm planning to use this for long conference calls where I'll mostly be listening, and I don't want to create road noise on the call.

The m0bridge is completely reliable/stable so far - my main concern and why I went with this over the NAV-TV or Denison based on reports. It does take several seconds to refresh, especially switching pages of 99 titles. Also the "double-click" action to scroll pages back and forth doesn't work reliably - often it just jumps two tracks (it's possible I don't have the timing down yet) - so I'm using the "two second hold" of forward and back as the alternative which does work.

After a phone call the m0bridge carries on playing where it was in the track (after a pause), but after an engine off it restarts from the very start of the track that was playing, and doesn't hold random/repeat mode. I believe this is PCM behavior for a CD changer that the m0bridge cannot override. Not great though, especially in long tracks (e.g. audiobooks).

Last edited by sfguy; 12-12-2007 at 11:39 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:38 PM
sfguy:

i put hte mobridge on the passenger side footwell behind the carpet. Then i routed the wires back into the glovebox for the ipod. I will post some pics soon

Old 12-13-2007, 04:41 AM
jfr0317 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sfguy

Also, I got the microphone from NAV-TV today, and mounted it just in front of the left-hand map light in the center-upper dome console, where the Homelink controls are. The alternative was at the top of the driver side A-pillar, which is slightly closer to the driver's mouth, but would be more prominent/ugly and could be more noisy (especially in a cab). It needs to pointed so it is 45-degrees down to the driver's mouth. Everything worked fine on a test call while parked, but I'll have to see how well I can be heard while driving (both top up and top down - not that I have much hope of this being usable top down). I'd appreciate any thoughts on what seems to work best.

I don't think the Tooki can see anything in my address book from my BlackBerry 8700c - this is apparently phone dependent on whether it works or not. Not a big deal as I plan to dial mostly from the phone anyhow. Also, there is no "mute" feature, but I'm assuming you can use this on your phone. I'm planning to use this for long conference calls where I'll mostly be listening, and I don't want to create road noise on the call.
I have my microphone in almost the same place you do (just to the left of the driver's side map light). My installer told me that he has had better results with it there than over by the A-pillar.

Although I now have my iPhone paired with the Tooki, I have tried it with my AT&T Blackberry 8700, and it did transfer numbers from the Blackberry's address book, although only one phone number per contact and only the first 255 contacts. You might try making sure you have the latest firmware for both your Tooki and your Blackberry. I know that I had to upgrade the firmware on both my Blackberry and the Parrot Bluetooth unit I have in my truck to get them to successfully transfer contact info.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:18 AM
Do you guys got a pic on where you place your mic? I need to finda a good location for mine. Right now friend say i sound distant.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:17 PM
bob/ft.worth is infamous around these parts
Andy: see PM...
I can post a pic tonight. but I think any mic like this (not up against the mouth) is going to sound distant. I called my voice mail and it is a bit distance and can be noisey depending on speed. i tried 30mph and 60 and the background noise level definitely goes up as you would expect. Is it listen-able? yep.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:19 PM
bob: i didn't get a PM were you sending me one ?

Old 12-13-2007, 05:47 PM
bob/ft.worth is infamous around these parts
responding to one from a few days ago that i just saw today...

Old 12-13-2007, 06:25 PM
sfguy is infamous around these parts
Here's a picture of where my microphone is - by the driver-side map light on the central dome.

I've also started a discussion over at http://navtv.com/forum/index.php?topic=47.0 to see about better third-party microphones than the stock one. Specifically, the Andrea DA-350 Auto Array (see http://www.andreaelectronics.com/Buy...Desc/DA350.htm) might be a good, though expensive option ($330). Apparently it gets good results for voice recognition - see review at http://www.pocketpclife.com/issues/i...utomic001.html. Also some more discussion at http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/mp3c...uirements.html and other forums at mp3car.com.

On the address book, I can't get anything from the address book to transfer from my Blackberry 8700c AT&T (ex Cingular). It's running v. 4.2.1.96 (Platform 2.3.0.79) - updated from v.4.1 to v.4.2 w/ software on AT&T wireless website. This is true even when forcing push from the Bluetooth settings menu on the phone. It says 'sending phonebook' for a minute, but afterwards no phone numbers are available on the Tooki apart from the standard 'Sel 8700c' and 'Delete 8700c'. It's possible that none of the first 255 out of >5000 contacts have phone numbers attached (there are a lot with just email addresses), but it seems unlikely.

Attached Images  
Old 12-13-2007, 06:49 PM
jfr0317 is infamous around these parts
My Blackberry is running version 4.1.0.194, so its firmware must not be the issue. Have you run the latest Tooki Bluetooth Updater to make sure you're running the latest Tooki firmware? I'm running the December 3rd update on mine.

If you want to test whether any of the first 255 contacts can transfer if it indeed has a phone number, you might try entering a new contact with a first name consisting of just the letter A. That way, it will be the first entry transferred if any do transfer.

By the way, I'm just trying to help here by offering some suggestions. When I first installed my original Tooki prototype, I couldn't get any contacts to transfer either until I got a new unit with updated firmware (that was before Nav-TV impolemented the Bluetooth upgrade capability).

Old 12-13-2007, 08:01 PM
My tooki transfered my blackberry contacts. I have a 8820 but I didn't check if all my contacts transferred over. So far I had one time where it won't reconnect. But I just uploaded the new firmware and I haven't checked. I don't have my car for a few days as I am getting the gt3 front bumper painted and install. Will check back when I get the car back in a few days.

Last edited by scuzy; 12-13-2007 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:08 PM
yorksboy01742 is infamous around these parts
NAV-TV Adapter

Have you had any problems with the NAV-TV adapter sometimes not recignizing the ipod and you have to re-start the engine a few times?

Old 12-18-2007, 12:14 PM
I have a mobridge so it's detects the ipod everytime. I don't have the nav-tv ipod integration. only the tooki bluetooth module.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: NAV-TV Bluetooth Adapter for 997