American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

Project GTS: Stock Motor Twin Turbo build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 01:52 PM
'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light
Project GTS: Stock Motor Twin Turbo build

I was getting tired of the nitrous, filling the n2o at home, having to get the NANO filled at the only place in town that does it (if their tanks were full), bottle opener issues. I just like boost way too much, one of the biggest things I miss about the T/A.

So.. the car:

The Goal:
  • A very efficient twin turbo setup for a stock motor car

The Setup:
  • Brand new twin billet wheel 6262's
  • .60 A/R / .84 A/R Turbine side
  • Stainless hot side
  • Weldon 2025
  • 100lb/hr Injectors
  • DevilsOwn Meth Injection

Basically Frankenstein'ing a Hennessey 1000 Kit I got a stupid deal on. I was going to wait to build a custom kit, but this is a whole lot less headache, and it was a killer deal. There will be a little fab work, the flex pipes and down pipes will be changed etc. I have a cool idea for the exhaust so we'll see how it pans out.

The Plan:
  • Absolute Minimum: 850RWHP on pump
  • Considering a C16/Q16 tune for 950RWHP+
  • Street car

The rest of the fuel system and the new exhaust housings have been ordered (the turbo's came with a .63 A/R housing on the turbine side, too small). The car is should be going in the shop next week with any luck, looking at 3 weeks build time.

I'll be frequenting the shop to update this thread with pictures, progress, and issues.

The cool thing, is after this, I'll have sampled every power adder (except for dual power adders) so I think I'll have a good taste of what I like. I percieve really enjoying this car.

Also, as far as drive train goes, the car has a Spec 3+ and the stock trans is good for quite a bit, several guys have gone 7's on the stock unit. Stock diff, same story, half-shafts would be a plus but those will be when I have recouped financially.

The goal is to have the half-shafts, Stoptech Brakes, and a 6 point by TX2K11 and try have some fun there again.

Thoughts and input is always appreciated!

Update 8/26/10

Some tear down pictures:

The shop also did a courtesy leak down test, all cylinders are 165-170psi so good to go there.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:54 PM
Hurley1 will become famous soon enough
badass! You will love it...

Old 08-26-2010, 10:03 PM
AbsolutHank is a jewel in the roughAbsolutHank is a jewel in the roughAbsolutHank is a jewel in the roughAbsolutHank is a jewel in the rough
Baller as ****!

Old 08-27-2010, 06:59 AM
MTGTS is just really niceMTGTS is just really niceMTGTS is just really niceMTGTS is just really niceMTGTS is just really nice
Gonna convert to side exhaust?

Old 08-27-2010, 07:52 AM
'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by MTGTS
Gonna convert to side exhaust?
No sir, still out the back. Just have a unique idea for the tip. We have to find the material first, but if it works out it should be pretty cool.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:40 PM
snakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to behold
LOL...Man you didnt wait long Its gonna be sick. I think I remember a few guys that did 900+ on the stock motor on pump gas. 850-950 is nasty nasty for the street. 200-210 in the mile easy.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by snakebitten
LOL...Man you didnt wait long Its gonna be sick. I think I remember a few guys that did 900+ on the stock motor on pump gas. 850-950 is nasty nasty for the street. 200-210 in the mile easy.
I'm way too impatient haha. That's what I found too, a lot of the Venom 1000 guys were making approx 930RWHP, if I get anything over 850, I'll be happy. It's pretty weak compared to all these 1700whp Gallardo's, but it will do me just fine and be manageable in a rear-wheel drive street car. I'm excited!

Old 08-28-2010, 05:44 AM
snakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 'Trust'
I'm way too impatient haha. That's what I found too, a lot of the Venom 1000 guys were making approx 930RWHP, if I get anything over 850, I'll be happy. It's pretty weak compared to all these 1700whp Gallardo's, but it will do me just fine and be manageable in a rear-wheel drive street car. I'm excited!
Yeah. I believe Hennesey also did 1050rwhp on the stock motor and pump as well IIRC. As long as its the forged motor years and your tune is spot on you are golden.

Dont worry bout your numbers being comparitively weak as there are 1700+rwhp Vipers out there but the tranny wont last for the whole mile so they arent a threat in the mile till they get a fix. I remember two guys that are in the mid 7's @190-200mph in just the 1/4 mile in TT Vipers Just imagine if they had a tranny to handle that torque for 8-10 secs more it would up there with the G's and FGT easy.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:26 AM
houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !
Congrats! I remember your car and Fikse wheels from TX2K10! I hope you bring this beast to TX2K11...

I had a front mount TT GTS Viper built by RSI. While it made 1478 rwhp on race gas, it was the most fun and fastest street car I've driven right at the 950 rwhp level. It would basically beat 99.99% of the cars out here in Houston on that setting as the way it made the power was amazing. Then again, I had twin 76 mm turbo's on the car and so it made power very progressively throughout the RPM range.

Peter

Old 08-28-2010, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by snakebitten
Yeah. I believe Hennesey also did 1050rwhp on the stock motor and pump as well IIRC. As long as its the forged motor years and your tune is spot on you are golden.

Dont worry bout your numbers being comparitively weak as there are 1700+rwhp Vipers out there but the tranny wont last for the whole mile so they arent a threat in the mile till they get a fix. I remember two guys that are in the mid 7's @190-200mph in just the 1/4 mile in TT Vipers Just imagine if they had a tranny to handle that torque for 8-10 secs more it would up there with the G's and FGT easy.

Awesome, good to know! I wonder what they were using for management, I know their Venom 1000 stuff uses split second, but that isn't exactly high tech.

Originally Posted by houstonT
Congrats! I remember your car and Fikse wheels from TX2K10! I hope you bring this beast to TX2K11...

I had a front mount TT GTS Viper built by RSI. While it made 1478 rwhp on race gas, it was the most fun and fastest street car I've driven right at the 950 rwhp level. It would basically beat 99.99% of the cars out here in Houston on that setting as the way it made the power was amazing. Then again, I had twin 76 mm turbo's on the car and so it made power very progressively throughout the RPM range.

Peter
Definitely in for TX2K11! I think I'm going to have fun with this, my last car made 800rwhp and ran high 9's, but weighed quite a bit more. With the extra 100ish wheel and less weight it should be fun. From what Precision is saying, the 6262s with a .84 a/r will give me a awesome powerband and very very little lag, should be pretty efficient .

Hopefully I don't get bored of it too quick, once something lets go it's build motor, single turbo, and game on!

Old 08-28-2010, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by 'Trust'
Awesome, good to know! I wonder what they were using for management, I know their Venom 1000 stuff uses split second, but that isn't exactly high tech.

www.viperclub.com is your best friend many of those guys have done what u have and more. all the info u need is on that site.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:57 PM
RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
Damn, nice.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:35 AM
Jesse_Boyer is on a distinguished road
fantastic. Subscribed.

Fikse FM/5's are STILL one of the best looking wheels for Vipers/Supras/C5's... not much compares to this day...

Old 09-02-2010, 08:21 AM
Well just a little update, I have a deadbeat seller that sold turbos that don't fit on the kit, they press up against the block before we can get any of the other piping on. I've been emailing him back and forth for the last couple of days to work a refund and he's pretty set on telling me it's my problem. I offered to split the fab cost with him and he isn't helping there. Going through the bank to get some money back.... Some people.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:33 AM
Edit: Seller seems to think that modifying the downpipes/flex pipe so I can run the exhaust I want means I knew the turbos wouldn't fit, lol. I don't think he understands that the turbos have to go on before the downpipes can go on to run the exhaust. Lol.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Project GTS: Stock Motor Twin Turbo build