American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

SRT Releases Price on Viper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 06:14 PM
6Speed Editor
6Speed Editor has a reputation beyond repute6Speed Editor has a reputation beyond repute6Speed Editor has a reputation beyond repute6Speed Editor has a reputation beyond repute6Speed Editor has a reputation beyond repute6Speed Editor has a reputation beyond repute6Speed Editor has a reputation beyond repute6Speed Editor has a reputation beyond repute6Speed Editor has a reputation beyond repute6Speed Editor has a reputation beyond repute6Speed Editor has a reputation beyond repute
SRT Releases Price on Viper

Check it out here: SRT Releases Price on Viper

If for some reason you haven't gotten a good look at the Viper yet, hit the link above for a gallery. They've listed the price of that wicked piece of machinery at $99,395. For comparison, the ZR1 retails at $112,600.

I'm leaning towards the Viper. Which would you pick?

Old 09-11-2012, 05:48 AM
jeffgrice is on a distinguished road
What I don't like about the ZR1 is generally it looks like any other vette. I feel the ZR1 should have some dramtically visual benefits in addition to the awseome technology.

That said I would still pick the ZR1 all day long.

I like the looks of the Viper since day 1 but I know from sources that the technology/frame was cobbled together (prior generations). Low quality car. Resale reflects that.

I don't know much about the new car but Chrysler has done little to gain my confidence. Here's another example. Had an 300 srt8. Chrylser designed such that camber was fixed. So alignment was at the mercy of the manufacturing tolerances. Many cars rolled off the assembly line out of alignment. And after 20-30k miles the frame changes forcing the car out of alignment. And it costs $600 per wheel to install a camber kit.

My vote is ZR1

Old 09-11-2012, 03:36 PM
ROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really nice
Good question.
I could not pick one and go wrong.
I could pick any and be happy.
I would not think of resale with either.
Both are more capable than most of us drivers and US roads.
It's probably a matter of which dealership to walk into first.
I would own a 911 Turbo, GT2 or GT3 first though.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:38 PM
Daekwan is a jewel in the roughDaekwan is a jewel in the roughDaekwan is a jewel in the rough
I vote that you get the Viper and I absolutely LOVE my C6.

The amenities and technology should be miles ahead of the ZR1. Same goes for the interior and seats. Remember the C6 bodystyle & interior are now 9 years old!!! The ZR1 should still win in regards to overall performance, but I doubt you'd ever covet it driving the 640hp Viper. Viper should also have better resale value, being the new hotness. Lastly.. the Viper is more rare and will turn more heads, something that could be meaningful if you visit car shows & meets, cars & coffee or any other events. Do I even need mention you can buy a garage queen ZR1 for $75-80K. At that price I wouldnt bother with a new ZR1 and the big depreciation hit.

The most important factor IMO is that the completely redesigned C7 is getting publicly introduced at the Detroit NAIAS occuring about 4 months from now. Would really suck to buy a new ZR1 and end up driving the "old C6" model just 4 months from now.

Last edited by Daekwan; 09-11-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:04 PM
Twelvz is just really niceTwelvz is just really niceTwelvz is just really niceTwelvz is just really niceTwelvz is just really nice
What are the other numbers for the car?
0-60
1/4
etc...
Interesting price point, right there w/the GT-R

Old 09-12-2012, 05:42 AM
ShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really nice
Yea that's a bargain... I'd do the viper all day. I'll wait for an acr though

Old 09-13-2012, 06:32 AM
snakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to behold
Dont let that 99k fool you. Thats for the base no frills SRT model. Add track pack, upgraded leather etc and it will approach the ZR1 price tag in a hurry.

The high-end GTS model starts at 123k which is more expensive than the ZR1. Optioned out, a GTS model will be in the 130-140k range. With the new found manners and class Id take a new GTS over any year ZR1 including the upcoming one. I hate the styling of the new ZR1.

Last edited by snakebitten; 09-13-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:59 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Twelvz
What are the other numbers for the car?
0-60
1/4
etc...
Interesting price point, right there w/the GT-R
Only the GT-R always comes fully loaded with every option available in every car.

BUT - 0-60 only tells a small story for this car, being RWD (I'm not 100% on the transmissions yet). And the 1/4 ET will be deceiving as well. The torque is going to be ungodly (as other Vipers). The only thing that would 'fix' these figures, is a version of launch control. What we've learned about past Vipers, is that more power = more fun. No nannies, etc..., but this is a thing of the past, because machines are so much more capable today than they were years ago.

So I wouldn't put too much stock into those figures, as a I would 0 -100, or top speed + torque figures, gear ratios, etc... Tires make a BIG difference at this level as well. Believe it or not, I'm actually more concerned with hoe livable this car is as an alternate daily.