American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

Motor Trend Z06 Viper Gt Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 11:32 AM
Cerberus is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by SCvet00
Can you please post the performance numbers of the Viper and the Z from the new C&D?
I would like to see those posted as well. I just hope they don't reuse the data they obtained at the Chevy proving grounds several months ago and use same day data of both cars.

Old 10-27-2005, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by tdf360
Everything looks good for the Vette except the handling score...6 out of 10...not very impressive.

Gary
6 out of 10 in the handling category is very poor, especially considering the the Viper received a 10, which in my book is not one of the better handling cars in production in terms of feel and precision. Just my opinion though.

I am surprised the Z rated so poorly.

Old 10-27-2005, 11:51 AM
SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Cerberus
6 out of 10 in the handling category is very poor, especially considering the the Viper received a 10, which in my book is not one of the better handling cars in production in terms of feel and precision. Just my opinion though.

As stated previously, there was a reason to that poor score.

All of the new owners preach how well this car handles, and the 7:42.9 at the N-ring is another clear indication of this car's capabilities in the handeling department..

Old 10-27-2005, 11:56 AM
Electron Mike is on a distinguished road
What will really get your blood boiling is the invoice price on the C6 Z06. ~$53,000.

Wait until the frenzy wears off and pick one up for $10k off sticker.

Old 10-27-2005, 11:59 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !

same here, esp. since every other article i've read has praised it's handling.

This test seems confusing. The Viper came in dead last in the automobile test by a second. The GT was just ahead of the vette.

The automobile video is pretty revealing though. They definatley say the viper is the most tame

Old 10-27-2005, 12:00 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !

All of the new owners preach how well this car handles, and the 7:42.9 at the N-ring is another clear indication of this car's capabilities in the handeling department..
Come on, that time was made up!!!!!

Old 10-27-2005, 12:00 PM
Bob M is on a distinguished road
At the PCA club race held at GingerMan last July, I timed the faster cars doing 1:26-27's. So, a 1:32.75 at GingerMan is not a bad lap time for an out of the box car running street tires. Giving it a 6 out of 10 for handling seems strange to me. Obviously the car does handle well to post those times.

Old 10-27-2005, 12:01 PM
SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !
Originally posted by HotRodGuy
Come on, that time was made up!!!!!
...I know, that really was the Blue Devil..

Old 10-27-2005, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Electron Mike
What will really get your blood boiling is the invoice price on the C6 Z06. ~$53,000.

Wait until the frenzy wears off and pick one up for $10k off sticker.

I'm with you Mike. However, I don't see them dropping the price $10k from MSRP anytime soon. I do remember seeing 03 and 04's selling for invoice, but that was at the tail end of the C5's production.

I am looking to pick up a used one for mid $50s next year.

Old 10-27-2005, 12:08 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Handling well based on "numbers" and handling well based on how it feels from the driver's seat can very easily be two different things.

Old 10-27-2005, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Dock (Atlanta)
Handling well based on "numbers" and handling well based on how it feels from the driver's seat can very easily be two different things.
Dock,

I agree with what you are saying. Personally, handling feel, precision and the confidence a car inspires is more important to me than pure statistical data.

For example, I have driven a handful of Vipers, which were capable of generating very high cornering forces, but lacked precision and nimbleness in my opinion. The GT2/3 on the otherhand offer the tactile feedback and communication I enjoy so much while still offering high cornering abilities.

I would choose a scalpel over a rusty old machete any day of the week. The question is, which is the scalpel?

Old 10-27-2005, 12:25 PM
alamein is on a distinguished road
As stated previously, there was a reason to that poor score.

there's always a reason of course every other (high) # is dead accurate.

Last edited by alamein; 10-27-2005 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:29 PM
gdctus997 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by fast pace
Hey, hey now! If we're talking about luxury recalls, which the vette is now a part of -- luxury, what about the first batch of M3's? If I remember something about them they had a "little" trouble, nothing serious, just that the engine would blow up if you touched the rev limiter! Trust me I've seen it. Now I understand it's not a Chevy but come on do you really think every design made will hold up to some of the serious abuse shown here. This thread alone makes me want to get into the warranty business. Yet I doubt it would be worth it as Chevrolet actually commits to thier warranty if/when somethings goes wrong, any time, any race. Now in my opinion that is one hell of a stand up company. Close your eyes Porche loyalists! Unlike some other companies who play the look at what the car is capable of, but you can't do that with it!
(no offense to anyone who is in the aftermarket warranties industry, as well)

And as you may tell, I agree completely with HotRodGuy

Oh and FYI, I love any and all sports machines. Thanks!
I hope all you Chevy lovers are buying GM stock? That is what you should do when you think a company is so great. I guess it can't lose...

Last edited by gdctus997; 10-27-2005 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:30 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Dock,

I agree with what you are saying. Personally, handling feel, precision and the confidence a car inspires is more important to me than pure statistical data.

For example, I have driven a handful of Vipers, which were capable of generating very high cornering forces, but lacked precision and nimbleness in my opinion. The GT2/3 on the otherhand offer the tactile feedback and communication I enjoy so much while still offering high cornering abilities.

I would choose a scalpel over a rusty old machete any day of the week. The question is, which is the scalpel?
I agree with everything you said. I was just making the point that a car might be scored higher in handling by a magazine for the very same reasons.

And which is the scalpel? I'd have to drive 'em and see, or take the word of someone I trust.

Old 10-27-2005, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by ColorChange
They said the car had a bad case of oversteer when they hit bumps at the track. This has not been a consistent criticism but certainly something to pay attention to, thus the 6/10 handling score.

This is from the brand new C&D.
Sounds like Chevy may need to perform some calibration changes to their shock valving to rectify this problem.

I had two 03' Z06s and they were relatively compliant to irregularties on the track.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Z06 Viper Gt Review