American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

'08 Viper gets 600hp at $83k

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 02:47 PM
Vicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bgreenlee
Could you elaborate on this?

I was under the impression that the viper was an extremely good handling car when on the track, however, it has a steep learning curve. Is this somewhat in line with what you have experienced?
They are awesome handling cars... IF you have the skill/***** to drive them hard. Those who think they don't handle well lack part/all of the above mentioned.

Given a good driver I would be surprised if that 600hp viper didn't donkey punch the 997GT2 around a road course.

I still prefer the looks of the GTS and I doubt that will ever change.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:01 PM
10krpms is on a distinguished road
Have you guys seen some of the new colors that will be available on the '08's? My brother works for Chrysler and was able to show me some of them, they will be awesome!

Old 08-06-2007, 03:54 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by amerlemans
Why the hell are you even in the American Muscle section Ms. Prius/Saab driver?

Old 08-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Simba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by vincentdds
I owned 2 previous gen Vipers and one thing I wish they will improve on this one is the handlings.
Every one I've ever driven (quite a few) has been superb. They certainly don't handle like a Lotus or a Ferrari, the car isn't about picking which pebble you want to run over in a corner. You've got to manhandle it around quite a bit, however, I find that if you really push them they respond very well.

After a few weeks of driving one in anger, they're very confidence inspiring.

If I'm entirely honest with myself, the SRT10 is the most fun I've ever had in a car, period.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:58 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Vicious
They are awesome handling cars... IF you have the skill/***** to drive them hard. Those who think they don't handle well lack part/all of the above mentioned.

Given a good driver I would be surprised if that 600hp viper didn't donkey punch the 997GT2 around a road course.

I still prefer the looks of the GTS and I doubt that will ever change.
Dude, the 997 Gt2 just ran a 7:32 at the ring, I doubt any street car will "donkey punch" the new Gt2 around a road course.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Vicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 9Eleven
Dude, the 997 Gt2 just ran a 7:32 at the ring, I doubt any street car will "donkey punch" the new Gt2 around a road course.
A lot of that is the driver... A lowly old 01' GTS ran away from factory porsche and BMWs a couple years ago with PMUM behind the wheel. This car hasn't even seen track time yet, but I would be willing to bet with an experienced driver it would put the fear of god in quite a few people.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:35 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bgreenlee
Could you elaborate on this?

I was under the impression that the viper was an extremely good handling car when on the track, however, it has a steep learning curve. Is this somewhat in line with what you have experienced?
Extremely good handlings on the road course? The Comp Coupe maybe. But when compare to the Z06s and the GT3 the learning curve is so steep that most of us will not get there. Steering and throttle response is just not good enough for turning corners. The car is fun in 1 dimension, straight line acceleration and braking. You'll **** your pant driving canyon roads.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:42 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Are you guys disagreeing with me that GM don't need to step up in handling and still be able to compete with the Blue Devil.

Last edited by vincentdds; 08-06-2007 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:06 PM
Simba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud of
Are you guys disagreeing with me that GM don't need to step in handling and still be able to compete with the Blue Devil.
Rumor has it that thing will only come in a slushbox, so who cares?

I'd rather walk.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:11 PM
NoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant future
Why the hell are you even in the American Muscle section Ms. Prius/Saab driver?
I apologize.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:43 AM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Simba
Rumor has it that thing will only come in a slushbox, so who cares?

I'd rather walk.
There ain't a chance that will happen.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:19 PM
2bscrewed is on a distinguished road
There ain't a chance that will happen.
I thought it was getting the T-6060 that comes in the Shelby?

Old 08-07-2007, 04:38 PM
CARTOON is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NoRoom4Error
I am so over this vehicle. I don't even give them a 2nd glance anymore when I see them on the road. 500, 600hp... 1000hp twinturbo.... blah. Same with the corvette.

Dude, you drive a SAAB. STFU.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:43 PM
PbPedis is on a distinguished road
Sorry, I'd take a Z06 any day over a Viper. I don't care how much hp it has. I've driven 2 of them and absolutely hate them.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:05 PM
WTRacing has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Are you guys disagreeing with me that GM don't need to step up in handling and still be able to compete with the Blue Devil.
Im not sure if I understood that correctly, but without seeing any number on this new viper I am going to guess that it is maybe REALLY close to the current C6 Z06 as is, 600hp yea, its a pig from what Ive heard and maybe fast as hell which is awesome, but Ive got a feeling (and this is just my opinon) around a course like the Ring the Z06 would still edge it out, and the Blue Devil, (supposidley Corvette SS now) I think will decimate it and even more then the current Zee Oh Six does now..

.. again.. just my .2

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '08 Viper gets 600hp at $83k