Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Opinions please: Granturismo for DB9?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 11:33 AM
jjparkusa is on a distinguished road
Opinions please: Granturismo for DB9?

I think I know the pros and cons but would like a few opinions. Should I trade in my DB9 for a Granturismo? I am tempted by the new styling and real back seats.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:49 AM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
My opinion is for the first 6 months (maybe) you will have something unique - but after that you will miss the performance and Aston feel. Give it a drive and let us know ... I would def. drive it and not buy w/o a test on your roads. Looks good in a mag but I've not seen one in the metal - yet - sure I will soon enough - dealer down here does not have one. Anyway just my 2 cents ...

Old 10-29-2007, 12:05 PM
The Viz is on a distinguished road
I sat in the GranTurismo during press days at the Chicago Auto Show and it is a sweet car, but the AM just has a much richer feel to it. I love the way the DB9 drives as well.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Moogle is on a distinguished road
NO! The Aston is simply so much better.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:29 PM
MrTheKid is on a distinguished road
ford/volvo parts
or
ferrari parts ? hmmmmm...

Old 10-30-2007, 12:51 PM
IIVVX will become famous soon enoughIIVVX will become famous soon enough
not a fan of that maser. too much like an old man's car, the DB9 is a sexy beast.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:30 PM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
I'd go for the DB9, its still the faster car at the end of the day.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:52 PM
Moogle is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MrTheKid
ford/volvo parts
or
ferrari parts ? hmmmmm...
The only real component that is shared by AM and ford is the volvo sourced NAV unit.

Chassis/Engine are all custom AM so is the suspension/etc.

Whereas the Maser is FULL of Fiat parts.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Moogle
The only real component that is shared by AM and ford is the volvo sourced NAV unit.

Chassis/Engine are all custom AM so is the suspension/etc.

Whereas the Maser is FULL of Fiat parts.
next time you see a Vantage look at what the underside of the rear view mirror says . . . then post what you saw.

also look at the control buttons/switches of a volvo/new mustang then compare it to that of a Vanquish or a DB9 . . .

most of the parts in mazers that i have personally have guess what...? prancing horses!

just my two pennies if it were my coin. either car would be effen AWESOME!!!!!

Old 11-05-2007, 11:14 AM
Dtd350Z can only hope to improve
There's a bunch of Granturismos here in Rome....SHARP looking car, definitely stands out as a classy automobile.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:48 PM
KeyserSoze is on a distinguished road
I saw a GranTurismo in Paris a few weeks back with manufacturer plates, looked amazing. Saw a bunch of Astons during the same period when I was back in London and I'd definitely take the GranTurismo over a DB9, it was gorgeous in person. I'll get some photos online soon and post 'em.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:42 PM
jjparkusa is on a distinguished road
Checked out the Granturismo

So it is a beautiful car- about the same oooh factor in person as in the pics... but I decided it is not for me. The styling, for me, is a little too much. The front grill is almost cartoonish from some angles and it may be one of those cars that has too many curves. May just be ahead of its time. Didn't drive it hard but it drives a lot like a base Quattroporte. Nice and solid but soft suspension/chassis compared to the DB9. Very balanced and competent, decent exhaust note, just doesn't have the rawness of the DB9. Also, of course, doesn't the the low end torque. Strikes me as better for slightly older crowd than the DB9.

I am actually warming back up to the Q port. It is basically the same car but a bit more subtle. I remember a review that said that the Q porte was like Katie Holmes. You can walk right by her but if you look at her, she beautiful.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:42 PM
vincenzo is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jjparkusa
I think I know the pros and cons but would like a few opinions. Should I trade in my DB9 for a Granturismo? I am tempted by the new styling and real back seats.
Here's a big con:
The so-called "new" Maserati granturismo weighs significantly more than the outgoing model, since it's based on the heavier quattroporte sedan platform. However, its engine remains similar to the outgoing model. Heavier car + similar engine = SLOWER.
Why would Maserati make its granturismo slower than the outgoing model? They should at least maintain performance figures, not make their cars slower.

Aston V8 Vantage
0-60mph: 4.9 secs

Maserati "outgoing" coupe
0-60mph: 4.9 secs

Maserati "new" granturismo
0-60mph: 5.1/5.2 secs

Old 11-19-2007, 11:59 AM
either way.. you CAN'T lose !!!!

Old 11-19-2007, 12:53 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
It would have to be the aston for me...I was in a GranT last weekend and though it was really nice and surprisingly smooth, the Aston that I was in at VIR was WAYYYYYY cooler/more fun IMHO.

I just love aston...something about them that just intoxicates me...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Opinions please: Granturismo for DB9?