Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vanquish questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Vanq is on a distinguished road
Vanquish questions

Dear guys,

As a big Aston Martin fan, I'm planning to buy a second-hand Vanquish. But before I make a decision to buy one, I have a few questions for you.

1) I read here that the 2001 and 2002 models are not the ones to get. What about a 2003 model? Is that better, or do I really have to go for a later version? For example, on the internet there are a few verry nice 2003 Vanquishes with only 8000 miles for sale. Are these cars good and worth the 120.000-130.000 dollar price point?

2) What about the depreciation on these models? Do you think in the future they will depreciate more, even under the 100.000 dollar? And what about the Vanquish S models, will they depreciate al lot in the future? A local Aston Martin dealer told me that the Vanquishes are now on there lowest, and in the future will rise in price. Is this true?

I hope you guys can answer my questions! Thanks in advance.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:54 PM
DynamicMotoring is on a distinguished road
Yes, the Vanquish prices are about as low as they will get, and the only place to go is up, but who knows how long it will take, and how much they will go up. Get an 03, but all of the years have problems here and there. Thats what happens when they use a true manual transmission and try to make it an auto, and then use a Ford designed engine.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:04 PM
rezf is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DynamicMotoring
Yes, the Vanquish prices are about as low as they will get, and the only place to go is up, but who knows how long it will take, and how much they will go up. Get an 03, but all of the years have problems here and there. Thats what happens when they use a true manual transmission and try to make it an auto, and then use a Ford designed engine.
The achilles heal of that car is the transmission. i would get an "S" with the latest MY taking priority, as one would think the issues have gotten fixed over the life of the model. Make sure there is a COMPLETE service history available for the car, and a bonus would be if the clutch has just been replaced and is almost new. You could fork out $60k to have Works Service drop in a manual transmission into the car

Old 03-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by rezf
The achilles heal of that car is the transmission. i would get an "S" with the latest MY taking priority, as one would think the issues have gotten fixed over the life of the model. Make sure there is a COMPLETE service history available for the car, and a bonus would be if the clutch has just been replaced and is almost new. You could fork out $60k to have Works Service drop in a manual transmission into the car
You dont even need a different transmission, they make a kit for the conversion.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:53 PM
rezf is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DynamicMotoring
You dont even need a different transmission, they make a kit for the conversion.
That's what I said

Old 03-12-2008, 09:04 PM
bhsccb is on a distinguished road
There's a nice '03 Blk/Blk 15k miles at Desert European in Palm Desert asking $120K --but I think you should just say NO. While the deprec. has probably floored around $100k, the real cost is upkeep and maintenance-which can be MAJOR! As stated earlier, a $40k bill for repairs accompanied with regular $5k maintenance should be expected. And as you put miles on the ability to re-sell will decrease- would you buy a 30k mile V without that transmission being serviced? Want something different, try a midyear (63-67) vette. Serviced as a Chevy and doesn't depreciate!

Old 03-13-2008, 09:39 AM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
bhsccb - The Vette comment is totally true. Get something old - that will at very least hold it's value - most likely go up. Anything new just seems to be dropping like a rock. The US economy is in for some more rough sea. Stuck on an aston try an older one - that will will see a rise in value over the next few years - and is still unique. IMHO

Old 03-14-2008, 10:40 PM
bhsccb is on a distinguished road
and when people give me the wave in an old vette it's friendly, in my F car it's often not!

Old 03-15-2008, 10:05 AM
snakeplissken is an unknown quantity at this point
Buy a 05/06 Ford GT(40), They have appreciated 10% in the last 8 months and will continue to rise in price. They have Exotic good looks are very dependable,Cheaper to service than the F cars and get tons of positive attention.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:21 PM
turbo_freak is on a distinguished road
I would stay away, but the DB9 is certainly attractive for near that $ esp. with a warranty.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:30 PM
robbie is on a distinguished road
Ian Callum's Vanquish is by far the most impressive and visually stunning vehicle that Aston Martin has put out.

I spent many months looking into purchasing a used one. I had one available to me for $100k with about 8k miles on it from a private seller.

If you have a bottomless wallet and money is not the issue by all means go for it.

There is a shopping list of the numerous problems associated with the vehcile. Have you driven one?

1) The software that is used with the so called F1 transmission is jittery and at best unaccpetable after an hour of driving.

2) Be ready to have the battery go dead on you consistantly. If the vehicle is not turned on on a regular basis, be ready to call AM dealer.

3) The maintenance cost of the vehicle far outweigh the satisfaction you will derive over the ownership time.

4) Speak to those who own them. There is a reason why they depreciate - nobody want to deal with them.

I realize this sucks considering your mind is set on buying one, but with hindsight you are saving yourself a lot of money and grief.

The DB9 with Manumatic or Vantage are far better choices.

I can't blame you for wanting one. Personally, I think the Vanquish is by far the BEST looking vehicle I have ever seen.

Last edited by robbie; 03-18-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:42 AM
Vanq is on a distinguished road
Thank you guys for the replies!

As I read your replies, I can conclude the Vanquish is maybe not the car to buy. But I simply love the looks, sound and power of this car so much, the Vanquish is simply the car to have for me. I don't want a V8 Vantage, DB9 or Ford GT, for me the Vanquish is the ultimate car.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by Vanq
Thank you guys for the replies!

As I read your replies, I can conclude the Vanquish is maybe not the car to buy. But I simply love the looks, sound and power of this car so much, the Vanquish is simply the car to have for me. I don't want a V8 Vantage, DB9 or Ford GT, for me the Vanquish is the ultimate car.
I didnt suggest other cars because I knew if you wanted a Vanquish, the other cars wouldnt cut it. Its just too different.

Overall, its not a bad car, Ive heard of some being pretty trouble free, but the transmission is a little jerky in slower traffic, and maintenance can be an issue.