Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

09 Vantage Engine cutting out???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 07:54 PM
StuM is on a distinguished road
09 Vantage Engine cutting out???

Anyone experience or heard of this???
My new 09, 6-spd, sports pkg, with about 2200 mile, Vantage shuts down occasionally while driving! Not during any full power or steady state driving, but 4 times, as I engaged clutch, let off throttle and coasting to a stop. No drama, no vibration or any signs, she just shuts down. After I stop, I can pop out the key, re-engage and it starts right up as if nothing has occurred.
Local dealer says he has seen this in at least one other '09 Vantage they have there. Thinks it might be a software problem where the throttle sensor or related item is not catching the rpm's at idle as they drop and is letting it essentially drop to shut-down levels.
I have more fully documented each case to him and he in turn says he will forward to AM in the UK for assessment.
Meanwhile I'm scared to drive the car, as it might cut out at a critical moment!
Any thoughts or ideas?
Thanks,
StuM
Houston, TX, USA

Old 06-12-2009, 07:59 AM
paragongja is on a distinguished road
I would respectfully ask them to come pick the car up and provide you a replacement car until they can fix the problem. That's quite a serious issue you have going on.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:04 AM
Kamran is just really niceKamran is just really niceKamran is just really niceKamran is just really nice
..and tell your dealer that there is a serious "safety" issue here and they could be liable too if they don't respond accordingly!
...and oh by the way, what was their action taken for "the other 09 with the same problem" ?

Old 06-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Curtis is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by StuM
Anyone experience or heard of this???
My new 09, 6-spd, sports pkg, with about 2200 mile, Vantage shuts down occasionally while driving! Not during any full power or steady state driving, but 4 times, as I engaged clutch, let off throttle and coasting to a stop. No drama, no vibration or any signs, she just shuts down. After I stop, I can pop out the key, re-engage and it starts right up as if nothing has occurred.
Local dealer says he has seen this in at least one other '09 Vantage they have there. Thinks it might be a software problem where the throttle sensor or related item is not catching the rpm's at idle as they drop and is letting it essentially drop to shut-down levels.
I have more fully documented each case to him and he in turn says he will forward to AM in the UK for assessment.
Meanwhile I'm scared to drive the car, as it might cut out at a critical moment!
Any thoughts or ideas?
Thanks,
StuM
Houston, TX, USA

I had the very same issue on MY 06 6-speed. I can't remember the dealer fix for it but I will look at my service papers this evening. Always occurred as I was coming to a slow stop at a light. Since it was fixed no other occurrences in the past 8,000 miles. FYI, dealer that fixed issue was Cole European in Walnut Creek.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Thanks

Thanks gang.
The local dealer says he still has the other car and they don't have a fix or info back from AM.
While he advised "drive it and see if you can discern related issues", I'm not inclined to take my life into my hands.
Frustrating on a $100K car.
I'm in Houston, TX.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:33 AM
ollie has a spectacular aura aboutollie has a spectacular aura aboutollie has a spectacular aura about
man, thats not cool at all. i remember hearing an lp640 owner saying he had the same problem and it turned out to be a lack of oil in the car which programmed the engine to turn off on occasion. not sure if that helps but keep us posted on how this turns out. problems like these really test the customer commiment of a brand/dealer

Old 06-13-2009, 06:58 AM
Brand Loyalty

Very true Ollie,
I bought a new Audi R8 about the same time that I picked up the AM. The Audi has been flawless and a wonderful car to drive. I have to say, better handling, road feel and fit and finish than the AM, but a different style. I also have an F430 and both of the others have not given me a single problem. Thus, the AM has failed me and I hate that in a new car. For me, somehow, I never get over an early failure like this and a small hatred begins to grow in my mind. Sad, but true for me. I want so much to love every aspect of the this beautiful car and right now I can't even feel safe driving it.
I suppose it currently makes a great museum piece, sitting in my garage, where I can admire its external beauty!
As I already consider my next purchase, I can tell you it's much more slanted towards the new R8 V10 vs. the new AM Vantage V-12.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:20 PM
lucky6600 is on a distinguished road
Very true Ollie,
I bought a new Audi R8 about the same time that I picked up the AM. The Audi has been flawless and a wonderful car to drive. I have to say, better handling, road feel and fit and finish than the AM, but a different style. I also have an F430 and both of the others have not given me a single problem. Thus, the AM has failed me and I hate that in a new car. For me, somehow, I never get over an early failure like this and a small hatred begins to grow in my mind. Sad, but true for me. I want so much to love every aspect of the this beautiful car and right now I can't even feel safe driving it.
I suppose it currently makes a great museum piece, sitting in my garage, where I can admire its external beauty!
As I already consider my next purchase, I can tell you it's much more slanted towards the new R8 V10 vs. the new AM Vantage V-12.

would you be able to state more specifically what happen to your Vantage that failed you?

nice car collection !! any pics of all them together??

Old 06-15-2009, 09:35 AM
NFS13 is on a distinguished road
Very true Ollie,
I wanted to PM directly but the system will not let me until I have 15 posts ( a little bizarre ) I have a question about the R8. How much stiffer is the suspension over the Vantage? Is there a hugh difference over bad roads between the two? Also, do you worry more with the R8 in terms of scraping on high camber turns or uneven pavemant over the Vanatge.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:30 PM
R8 vs Vantage

I actually find the R8 a somewhat smoother ride on all types of roads. Also better handling. Much flatter in corners and more neutral handling in all turns. I have had no fear or experience with any scraping of any type. Don't forget the Audi is awd and very well balanced, plus wheels way out on the corners.
The AM does seem a tad quicker and clearly sounds better. The shifters are both good. The gated shifter in the Audi is fantastic and takes no time at all to grow accustomed to. I do appreciate the AM in many circumstances, due to mine being a convertible, whereas the current R8 is only available in coupe form. (R8 'vert should be shown at Fall shows)
By the way, my local AM dealer service center called today and said AM advised to reflash the ECM to try and correct the stalling situation. I take it in on Wednesday.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:47 PM
Curtis is on a distinguished road
I checked my service papers regarding the stalling issue and the dealer noted that they could not duplicate the stalling but that they checked all connections and grounds and did a software update. I haven't had any issues since that time.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:14 PM
NFS13 is on a distinguished road
Mine has stalled once while sitting in N. Had it in for a service update and they did not see anything on the computer related to it? Not the easiest car to re-start when stalling considering the whole key in key out process.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:43 PM
No-Go Vantage engine fix

My local dealer reflashed the ECU and transmission control unit today, after guidance from AM. The car seemed to drive the same as before, driving home at freeway speeds, but once in the local neighborhood, same-ol-same ol. The engine quietly died twice while coasting to stret corner stops, from low speeds. AM has been made aware again, with documented details of the new occurances and "are considering next move". Meanwhile, my '09 Vantage sits. Still a somewhat nice, but very expensive garage decoration to look at, but not drive safely! Do I smell lemons?!!!

Old 06-19-2009, 03:51 PM
prideandufcfan is on a distinguished road
Ijust went on a trip from las vegas to newport beach in my ss 08 vantage with 7k miles on the odo. I have experienced engine cutting out twice!!!!! once after the car sat ideling for like ten minutes,while I was talking to someone outside and fiance was in the car at the time. Then again when I came to a full stop at the exit ramp off highway. Seriously WTF. No one can give us any answers thats a load of crap. Any body have Aston's US corporate number ?? We need to makea phone call.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:03 PM
Ongoing pain in the a**

Local dealer sent flatbed last night and my new Aston was hauled away for the regional AM rep to look at today. Have not heard a word back, so don't know what's going on.
Some neighbors really got a hoot out of seeing "that far too expensive car" get hauled down the street on a flatbed! Especially those do-gooder dweebs driving green Toyota hybrids. Great advertising for AM, all the way across town!

Funny, but my good old Ford truck just runs and runs and I can even work on it any time I need/want to!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 09 Vantage Engine cutting out???