Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

AM Vantage trickle charger and storing the car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 11:39 AM
RX7TDF is on a distinguished road
AM Vantage trickle charger and storing the car

Hey guys. A friend of mine has left his '06 AMV8 at my home for the next year as he is in Boston doing his fellowship. He recently purchased this car and needed to store it in my garage.

The doorknob has not renewed the insurance for the vehicle so I'm not comfortable taking it on the road. The car came with the AM trickle charger with the cig lighter end on it.

Question is, can I plug it in to the cig lighter in the trunk of the car. I assume that is what it is for. I'm not doing it now but in the winter months might be a good thing.

Also any tips on storing this thing. I have it covered and such and will be starting it every few weeks. Or should I pull the battery and leave it?

Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

Paul

Last edited by RX7TDF; 08-14-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:36 PM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
I would highly suggest calling AM of New England (781) 547- 5959 they deal with storing AMs every day - including cold weather. After about 2 weeks of sitting idle the battery will most likely be dead - just running it for 5 min does not really help. You are correct about the battery but also think about fuel, fluids, and tires. Griots (as an example - there are certainly others) sells fuel and tire products for longer term storage (flat spot tires, bad gas). A few bucks spent now will save a lot of money later.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:49 PM
acabrera will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Michael 996TT
I would highly suggest calling AM of New England (781) 547- 5959 they deal with storing AMs every day - including cold weather. After about 2 weeks of sitting idle the battery will most likely be dead - just running it for 5 min does not really help. You are correct about the battery but also think about fuel, fluids, and tires. Griots (as an example - there are certainly others) sells fuel and tire products for longer term storage (flat spot tires, bad gas). A few bucks spent now will save a lot of money later.
Great advice as usual, Michael. I would have mentioned the battery and tires but didn't think of about the fluids. Also, this might be the quote of the day on this topic: "A few bucks spent now will save a lot of money later.". I couldn't agree more.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Banned
Immanuel has a spectacular aura aboutImmanuel has a spectacular aura aboutImmanuel has a spectacular aura about
Old 08-17-2009, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the replies! I will give AM a call to confirm.

What I planned was a cover on the car, plastic sheet under the car over the concrete, gas stabilizer in a full tank of gas, the car recently just had the oil changed as well.

With regards to the tires, and I'm going to confirm this, I heard that with the newer design of radial tires that flat spotting will not occur. I was going to place carpet swags under them so there not directly on the cold floor. I heard that by lifting the car you load the suspension components as the weight of the tires will be on them. Not sure about these comments but if anyone can answer them it will be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 08-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
I had not heard about newer radial tire design and storage - don't take this as I do not agree - I just do not know. I would suggest giving Tire Rack a call and asking about car storage and tires ... they seem to be pretty good/honest and it would give you another reference point.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:28 AM
GameTheory is on a distinguished road
I'd be interested in this, too - I'm in the Boston area and while it's early I'll be looking at cold weather storage soon enough. Was just gonna call AM of NE when the time approached but any other advice you guys may have let me know.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the info.

I just got off the phone with AM NE as above and they advised me that the trickle charger is to be plugged into the cig lighter in the trunk and should be fine like that.

The tires he advised to overinflate them but not necessary to raise the vehicle.

Also he advised to start the car about once a month and get it up to temperature and just move it back and fourth each month so the tires are not always on the same spot. Mark them and rotate them slightly.

Good info. He said once its out of storage to change the oiil and brake fluid as well.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:58 PM
gekko will become famous soon enoughgekko will become famous soon enough
Sounds like you've gotten some good info. I follow all the above for my Aston . . gets cold up here in Canada eh !!

I usually inflate my tires to 44psi to prevent flat spotting for the winter.
In the spring, when the car comes out, you may get a "Tire Pressure System Warning" error. Not to worry, inflate to the correct pressure and drive approx 30 to 40km, this resets the TPMS sensors on the valves and the error message should disappear.

One last point, be careful when using the tricker charger that the cord doesn't damage the weatherstripping. Gently lower the hatch, but don't latch it - The rear light will turn off in short while.

Good luck!

Old 01-08-2014, 03:53 PM
ASMstam is on a distinguished road
Anyone know how to fault find battery drain on AM 07 vantage. At a loss, replaced battery and still draining within a week.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:58 PM
groutguy has a spectacular aura aboutgroutguy has a spectacular aura aboutgroutguy has a spectacular aura about
I have investigated winter storage extensively for my current V12V and my previous exotics.
- overinflated the tires by 15 a 20 %
- park your tires over carpet or high density foam rubber ( keeps them from flat spotting.)
- plug in intelligent battery maintainer.
- fill tank with fuel & fuel stabilizer.
- change oil, as oil with too many miles is slightly acidic.
- change brake fluid. Old brake fluid will have collected some water, and in extremely cold climates may freeze seals.
- wax and detail your car for storage, and cover with a high quality car cover.
- if mice are an issue where your vehicle is stored, set mice traps or bait traps around the car perimeter and check occasionally. Mice prefer to make their nests in the inline compartment, so accession ally inspect for mice intrusion. They like to eat electrical wiring, so peanut butter on your traps should discourage this. Use sheets of bounce fabric softeners in your engine compartment and interior, this also discourages mice.
- "do not" occasionally start your vehicle. This is extremely bad for your engine, as your engine never reaches proper operating temperatures to burn off built up condensation. You are much better off to leave the vehicle without starting until driving season. When you start the vehicle for the first time; press the accelerator peddle all the way to the floor and hold it there. This will allow for the oil pump to circulate the oil without starting the car. When the oil symbol light goes out, this means that the oil pressure is back up. At this time you can now start your car normally, and all should be well.
This procedure has worked well for all of my winter vehicle storage.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:07 PM
ASMstam is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by groutguy
I have investigated winter storage extensively for my current V12V and my previous exotics.
- overinflated the tires by 15 a 20 %
- park your tires over carpet or high density foam rubber ( keeps them from flat spotting.)
- plug in intelligent battery maintainer.
- fill tank with fuel & fuel stabilizer.
- change oil, as oil with too many miles is slightly acidic.
- change brake fluid. Old brake fluid will have collected some water, and in extremely cold climates may freeze seals.
- wax and detail your car for storage, and cover with a high quality car cover.
- if mice are an issue where your vehicle is stored, set mice traps or bait traps around the car perimeter and check occasionally. Mice prefer to make their nests in the inline compartment, so accession ally inspect for mice intrusion. They like to eat electrical wiring, so peanut butter on your traps should discourage this. Use sheets of bounce fabric softeners in your engine compartment and interior, this also discourages mice.
- "do not" occasionally start your vehicle. This is extremely bad for your engine, as your engine never reaches proper operating temperatures to burn off built up condensation. You are much better off to leave the vehicle without starting until driving season. When you start the vehicle for the first time; press the accelerator peddle all the way to the floor and hold it there. This will allow for the oil pump to circulate the oil without starting the car. When the oil symbol light goes out, this means that the oil pressure is back up. At this time you can now start your car normally, and all should be well.
This procedure has worked well for all of my winter vehicle storage.
Thanks.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:23 PM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
If he was my "doorknob" buddy who left me with this "burden" I'd simply insure the car as my own and have my way with it. You're truly a good friend RX7TDF.