Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

You all have talked me out of a Vantage...Talk me back in, please...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 09:54 PM
DAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to behold
You all have talked me out of a Vantage...Talk me back in, please...

I was pretty set to pull the trigger on an 08 or 07 V8V Coupe. But after reading horror story after horror story about relaibility issues: premature clutch failurs, staling, misses, electonics, etc etc, I am having trouble rationalizing it. Particularly since I only tend to keep cars 2-3 years max, and can's see anybody buying it from me out of warranty with such a stellar reputation. I've had a bunch of different porsches and was thinking of moving to something a bit more "refined", even if a bit less conneceted. But all my p-cars have been bullet proof and I hate to give that up.

I'm hoping that the negative posts are more a matter for the car foumd syndrome where by onlt those with issues are here posting while those w/o issues are out driving. Please tell me that for every AM with issues there are a 100 w/o any. It would be my DD.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:24 AM
peloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by DAVE W
I was pretty set to pull the trigger on an 08 or 07 V8V Coupe. But after reading horror story after horror story about relaibility issues: premature clutch failurs, staling, misses, electonics, etc etc, I am having trouble rationalizing it. Particularly since I only tend to keep cars 2-3 years max, and can's see anybody buying it from me out of warranty with such a stellar reputation. I've had a bunch of different porsches and was thinking of moving to something a bit more "refined", even if a bit less conneceted. But all my p-cars have been bullet proof and I hate to give that up.

I'm hoping that the negative posts are more a matter for the car foumd syndrome where by onlt those with issues are here posting while those w/o issues are out driving. Please tell me that for every AM with issues there are a 100 w/o any. It would be my DD.
I have just over 5k miles on my 09 - only issue was a blown right front speaker as I was enjoying that 700w sound system perhaps a bit too much.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:32 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
AstonAficionado will become famous soon enough
Dave,

I've only had my Aston for a little over a month and I haven't had any issues with it, save a minor creaking noise that I've resolved (interior trim panel). I think that you are right: people tend post about problems they have with their cars. It's almost like the only news is bad news. For example, you're not likely to see many posts like: "my car has been running fine all month!" People post their problems in search of solutions to them.

From all that I've read, the Vantage is a highly reliable car. Yes, the clutch appears to be a weak point, but it is fixable. To me, it's worth it to have to replace a clutch early for the privilege of driving a more exotic car, if I can call it that. Yes, the 911 may be more reliable after over 45 years of production, but I might see 5 of them on a typical commute to work. I chose the Aston over the Porsche because I wanted something more unique. My two cents.

Last edited by AstonAficionado; 09-27-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:37 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
the germans really DO do it way better...take that from an italian car owner.

That said, there is something about the owner ship of either the british(/german ehem) or italian that makes that extra trip worth it...

Old 09-27-2009, 08:54 AM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
I had an 07 Vantage I purchased it brand new. Nothing but grief and aggravation. It had problem after problem, belts needed to be replaced 2x, oil leak, each amplifier was replaced & blue tooth module, fuel gauge issues. I couldn't take it anymore and bought a Lamborghini. Much more fun and reliable.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:38 AM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
I haven't had a single significant problem with mine in a year of ownership. I walked away from a 997TT that I had ordered, and I've never looked back. I love this car.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:27 AM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !

Get into a Vantage... these cars are more reliable than a heck of a lot of less 'exotic' stuff on the road. Clutches aren't going to be an issue in 3-4 weeks time .... (RSC is up to something). As for stalling issues as far as I am aware this only seems to be an issue on the '09 MY cars so you should be fine with an '07-'08.

Let's put it this way... I have yet to meet a regretful Vantage owner.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:58 PM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
Nice to meet you Stuart, lol. Dave W, just continue to do your research before you make a decision. My experience with Aston Martin was terrible, everything from my car I purchased new, to service from the dealer, to customer service from Aston Martin. Also performance wise the car is lacking.

I know Aston owners defend their car and they will minimize the problems that they have had making excuses because its a handmade car. However, there's no excuse for all of the problems the vantage has had since the beginning and they still have no ironed out the problems. I kept mine 8 months and it was in the shop about 12 times, no exaggeration. Aston Martin even brought in a field engineer but even still it was more problems. If you really want an Aston get a DB9, they have a little bit better of a track record.

I want to make it clear I'm not trying to offend or upset any Vantage owners. It's a beautiful car and some may be lucky and got a good one. I however did not, and am giving an honest warning, because I am not alone.

good luck Dave.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:21 PM
markesq has a spectacular aura aboutmarkesq has a spectacular aura about
No problems with mine. 2007 8k miles.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:42 PM
Kamran is just really niceKamran is just really niceKamran is just really niceKamran is just really nice
No problems with my vantage after 9 months of ownership.
I bought it for the beauty, which is unmatched (my humble opinion). For pure performance per dollar, I'd be looking elsewhere.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:00 PM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
To address Scott's experience, it's unfortunate but every car maker has lemons. It's just bad luck, but thankfully I haven't had any problems. I don't think the performance is too shabby...the 09s posted a 4.1 in 0-60 and the 1/4 in 12.5@115 which isn't too shabby. Mine is an 07 so I'm boosting the performance with a supercharger.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
AstonAficionado will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Tahoe M3
...the 09s posted a 4.1 in 0-60 ... which isn't too shabby. Mine is an 07 so I'm boosting the performance with a supercharger.
Where did you see 0-60 at 4.1? Everywhere I've looked they say 4.7 for the V8V. Are you talking about the V12?

Also, who are getting the supercharger from? 'Cause a new one may be coming to market soon.

Last edited by AstonAficionado; 09-27-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:10 PM
Motor Trend a few months back. Car and Driver tested a sport shift at 4.3 I believe.

Supercharger from ESX...same kit rmrmd has...600+ hp...going on in about 2 weeks.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:11 PM
Duplicate post.

Last edited by Tahoe M3; 09-27-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:50 PM
acabrera will become famous soon enough
I have an '06 with 33k miles. I have had very few issues and would actually rate the car as very reliable at this point.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: You all have talked me out of a Vantage...Talk me back in, please...