Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
AstonAficionado will become famous soon enough
and PICS 11 and 12:

Attached Images   
Old 10-10-2009, 04:59 PM
SonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of light
You will have many followers

Old 10-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
AstonAficionado - great job! Good write up too .... only suggestion I would add is maybe don't use "metal" screw drivers to remove bulbs as this might blow a fuse (or for that matter removing fuses in the box) ... but you did great so no worries.
I bet you are loving the lights at night. I agree, the map lights take a little longer but when done ... what a nice difference. I can not tell the difference in the new lightbulb "colors" either, they both seem to match ... this is what AM should have done in the beginning - IMHO - and for $45 it was the least expensive mod I've done to date .... thanks again for taking the time to write and provide the pictures. My detail/explanation was ... a bit lame !

Old 10-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Michael 996TT
.... only suggestion I would add is maybe don't use "metal" screw drivers to remove bulbs as this might blow a fuse
Ha! Yes, I learned that one the hard way. Oh well, at least I now know where the cabin fuse panel is and how to get at it.

I checked out the lights tonight and I have to say that I really like them! The only thing I don't like (and I'm being picky) is that the driver's-side map light catches you in the eye a bit, and it's pretty bright. Good news is that it turns off quickly after you start the engine, and you have the independent passenger-side map light to illuminate anything you need to read (hopefully not while you're driving!).

I've attached some more pics to show everybody the results. I purposely didn't use a flash (except in one pic) so the pics are not in perfect focus. Note also that I put the camera on ISO 1600 so the lights appear a bit brighter than in reality. What I like best is how the map lights illuminate the center console. Kind of like light shining down from above on the gear shift (all that's missing are the angels singing). Thanks again Mike for sharing the part numbers.

Attached Images      
Old 10-11-2009, 04:49 PM
SonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of light
Bravissimoooo !!!!!!!

Old 10-21-2009, 12:21 PM
markesq has a spectacular aura aboutmarkesq has a spectacular aura about
Aston, does your car have the hands free microphone behind the mirror? My cover does not have a screw exposed, all i see is the microphone cover.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by markesq
Aston, does your car have the hands free microphone behind the mirror? My cover does not have a screw exposed, all i see is the microphone cover.
Yes. The screw is behind what I called the "slotted metal cover." That cover conceals the mic (and the screw). It's black, rectangular, and sits just behind the rearview mirror. It just pops out when you pry it off. I think I used a thin flat head screwdriver. Anyway, you can see the cover as removed, hanging down behind the rearview mirror in the second to last pic I provided with my instructions (in the third post of my instructions). Feel free to PM if you have any further questions.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:45 PM
Thanks, changed out all the other lights last night. Going to try these next.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:46 PM
I just did the map lights. It literally took me less than 2 minutes. Took the mic plate off, unscrewed the phillips head screw, and pulled down the center piece.

Changed both bulbs. When I went to put back together, I lined the front up first, then pushed the back straight up until it snapped in place.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:37 PM
setoffives is on a distinguished road
Changing these lights was a quick and effective mod, thanks for the posts and detailed instructions. Love the new brighter map lights inside. I also ordered a couple of the 'amber' leds just to try out a different complementary color since my interior is kestral tan (almost orange looking) but it was significantly dimmer than the cool white bulb. I am going to take it a step further and change the license plate lights as well so it provides a halo effect. I may order a set of red or blue in addition to the cool white to see how those colors play out in the various areas.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:31 PM
P-Gunna is on a distinguished road
this is just what i was looking for. I have (what i call blood) red interior and i am thinking about going with some red leds, esp in the footwell. i think it will look nice but not too sure on red map lights...it may not be bright enough but would compliment the interior nicely.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:27 AM
Does anyone know what type the license plate bulbs take?

Old 12-22-2009, 12:49 AM
setoffives is on a distinguished road
LED Bulbs

The license plate bulbs are exactly the same as the interior lights but since those were very dim I found a brighter bulb, same socket, that was only slightly larger in height but posed no problem in installation. I used the red for my license plate lights and it matched the red tail lights very well and gives it a mean look at night with a red glow under the rear of the car since the lights face down. I'm going to copy and paste my purchases (i picked up the various colors so I could test them all, they are not expensive and it costs more to ship it if you dont like what you end up with) Here are the specs for all the good options for the license plate lights, which I feel red and cool white are the best options:

Quantity: 2
Product: WLED-x6 LED bulb $ 2.79 (each)
Options: Cool White WLED-CW6 0.95

Product: WLED-xHP5 Wedge Base Bulb $ 5.95 (each)
Options: White WLED-WHP5

Options: Red WLED-RHP5

Options: Amber WLED-AHP5

Options: Blue WLED-BHP5

Old 12-22-2009, 10:15 AM
zambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura about
My trunk lights are not working, and I have never noticed if they have worked in the past. Is there a switch for them not to go on when the trunk is open? My other lights work, so if they are all under the same fuse, the fuse is ok. I have my new LED's but haven't installed since i covered my car already for the winter. Really just asking about that possible switch. The bulbs might just be blown.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the plate bulb numbers, just ordered the cool white and red.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: New Vantage Interior Lights