Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Sportshift vs Manual

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 12:51 AM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
Sportshift vs Manual

Thinking of buying a vantage.

All my other cars have been manual (currently 911 turbo), but am considering the sportshift.

Any pluses/minuses?

Thanks

Old 07-24-2010, 08:37 AM
astonboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Has been discussed extensively a thousand times ... search the forum ... and go for a manual :-)

Old 07-24-2010, 08:58 AM
RHYNO is on a distinguished road
Most people have said to me not to get the SS. I decided I should drive one and I was very impressed with how it shifted. It was much smoother then a egear Lamborghini. Go and test drive both and see what you like better!

Old 07-24-2010, 01:28 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
I have enjoyed the SS on my car. There really is something to be said for the speed of the gear exchange. In Auto mode the car shifts soon in the power band and is a little jerky. You really want to drive the car in the sport manual mode. Once you have gotten experienced, it's kind of amazing what you can do. The fact that this car likes to be in the mid range of the powerband makes the SS that much more enjoyable. If your looking for a Roadster, I'm going to be selling mine soon. I have a ton of options and extras. Check out my profile for more pictures and PM me if you're interested. Either way, you need to spend some time driving a sports shift to get it. It's nice to be able to hit a button and take a call or a sip of coffee.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:46 PM
DrScoles has a spectacular aura aboutDrScoles has a spectacular aura aboutDrScoles has a spectacular aura about
The SS isn't anything like the PDK on porsche or the dual clutch on new ferraris, but I like it. Had an SMG M3 before the vantage, didn't want to lose the paddles. Above poster is right on, nice to be able to hit the D and not worry about shifting. Its also a blast to work the paddles, unless i have coffee in my hand, I don't use the auto mode. Just wish the cold starts were a little smoother.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:15 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by seattle_sun
Thinking of buying a vantage.

All my other cars have been manual (currently 911 turbo), but am considering the sportshift.

Any pluses/minuses?

Thanks
I'm a manual guy, but the SS is not a bad unit, and it can be improved immensely with aftermarket software.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:50 AM
Swoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really nice
I've had 5 spds, 6spds, porsches tiptronic, and the Aston sportshift. It works well, obviously is a bit behind the newest double clutch units in the latest Ferraris/Porsches....BUT it shifts quickly, matches revs on downshifts and I am quite satisfied with it and do not missing rowing the gears.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
For anyone who is interested, we offer a 'trackday' or 'sports' upgrade for the SS gearbox:

http://www.rsctuning.com/product_inf...roducts_id/734

Several 6speeders on this forum have this upgrade and as they will attest, it is hands-down the best 'bang-for-buck' of any of the available upgrades for the AMV8. Everyone who's done it raves....

Old 07-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Ghost Dog is on a distinguished road
I test drove both a month ago and I thought for sure I wanted a manual. Surprisingly enough the SS seemed pretty good. I'm coming from an SMG M6 so you have to understand what I'm used to. The manual was OK but it wasn't as smooth as some I've driven (just my opinion). Also, I don't know if it was me or the clutch but I swear I smelled burnt clutch when I put the thing in reverse. I'm still debating but I would definitely say that you should test drive both before deciding. I imagine that the RSC kit would make a huge difference too. Just my two cents.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:04 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Ghost Dog
I test drove both a month ago and I thought for sure I wanted a manual. Surprisingly enough the SS seemed pretty good. I'm coming from an SMG M6 so you have to understand what I'm used to. The manual was OK but it wasn't as smooth as some I've driven (just my opinion). Also, I don't know if it was me or the clutch but I swear I smelled burnt clutch when I put the thing in reverse. I'm still debating but I would definitely say that you should test drive both before deciding. I imagine that the RSC kit would make a huge difference too. Just my two cents.
Not your imagination - reverse is geared very long, slips the clutch a lot...

Last edited by Stuart Dickinson; 07-26-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:08 PM
astondude is on a distinguished road
The SS is not bad but the manual is more fun to drive. I like the manual better. I think it depends on the individual. I think Porsche PDK is a lot better like someone mentioned here.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:56 PM
sgt d is on a distinguished road
i have not driven the ss so my opinion may have less of an impact but i am a manual guy and i could not imagine my car without the manual, love it.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:01 PM
lghoppel is on a distinguished road
Hey, Ghost Dog, did you end up going with the Vantage? How did you find it compared to the M6? I'm in the same boat now and am concerned about the sportshift as I really like the SMG and concerned about the decrease in power. What did you find?

Old 06-19-2011, 09:56 AM
Ghost Dog is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lghoppel
Hey, Ghost Dog, did you end up going with the Vantage? How did you find it compared to the M6? I'm in the same boat now and am concerned about the sportshift as I really like the SMG and concerned about the decrease in power. What did you find?
I actually did not get the Vantage. I'm going to get the Audi R8 Spyder in a manual but I will say that the SS on the Vantage was smoother than the SMG on my M6 Convertible. I would have definitely gone with the SS on the Vantage.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:27 AM
lhanddds will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Stuart@RSC
For anyone who is interested, we offer a 'trackday' or 'sports' upgrade for the SS gearbox:

http://www.rsctuning.com/product_inf...roducts_id/734

Several 6speeders on this forum have this upgrade and as they will attest, it is hands-down the best 'bang-for-buck' of any of the available upgrades for the AMV8. Everyone who's done it raves....
Hey Stuart, is this a simple plug and play operation? Also I like the SS but this improvement could make it better.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sportshift vs Manual