Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Fuse 22 remote switch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 11:08 AM
keitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Racer_X
keitheva, have you noticed this issue? I'm debating purchasing a new remote control unit in case mine is defective, but I don't want to do that if it's just a consequence of the circuitry of the unit.
I haven't I'm afraid. I always see +12V when it's "on" (= fuse 22 in), and 0V when it's "off". But I haven't done the amount of "experimenting" that you seem to have done.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:32 AM
keitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of light
Thinking more about this I have a theory that might explain it. After the ignition is turned off, the unit always starts "off" (flaps open) when the ignition is turned back on, no matter where it was when it was turned off. This may be analogous to when the rpm sensor would have normally opened the flaps, perhaps by cutting input voltage across fuse22. If so, this would also cut input voltage to the unit. Then when rpms drop, and input voltage is restored, the unit will again start in the off position. This might explain what you are observing. A simple test for this would be to find and use an always on +12V input for the red wire to the unit. I will try that when I have some time.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by keitheva
Thinking more about this I have a theory that might explain it. After the ignition is turned off, the unit always starts "off" (flaps open) when the ignition is turned back on, no matter where it was when it was turned off. This may be analogous to when the rpm sensor would have normally opened the flaps, perhaps by cutting input voltage across fuse22. If so, this would also cut input voltage to the unit. Then when rpms drop, and input voltage is restored, the unit will again start in the off position. This might explain what you are observing. A simple test for this would be to find and use an always on +12V input for the red wire to the unit. I will try that when I have some time.
Interesting theory, although the "always open" operation appears to resume even when rpms are relatively high (e.g., 3000). Again, the only common aspect I have observed is no longer being on the gas pedal, irrespective of revs.

I will wait for your experimentation. Although I have a technical background, I am hopeless when it comes to electrical circuits.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:14 PM
rmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Am I to understand that you have a habit of driving in the city at 4000 to 7000 RPM but still want to remain "quiet"?
No comment

Old 06-12-2011, 01:32 PM
spainconection is on a distinguished road
a question there is a problem always take off the fuse 22 ??.
22 fuse in my car out.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Okay, disregard my previous post. Seems like the remote switch is failing. The flaps are now opening on their own after a few seconds regardless of rpm or throttle position.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by spainconection
a question there is a problem always take off the fuse 22 ??.
22 fuse in my car out.
Pulling the fuse is fine. It doesn't cause any problems or throw fault codes.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:48 AM
Update . . .

I noticed that the ground wire's connection to the car's frame seemed a bit loose, so I tightened it. I also swapped out the first remote control with the second remote control. I'm not sure if the problem was the loose ground wire or the first remote control (or its batteries), but everything appears to be working great now. I can now run the car in OEM or always-open mode at the touch of the button, as desired.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:54 AM
One more note on this topic. The flaps on the V12 are closed from 2,000 to 4,500 rpm, not the 1,500-4,000 which several you identified for the V8. Also, based on the grumble I hear, the flaps seem to open within the 2,000-4,500 range when you release the gas peddle.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:52 PM
eelton is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by keitheva

The fuse won't work as-is because the placement of the attached wires prevents the fuse from being fully inserted in the correct orientation. Cut the red wire and attach a spade connector. For the white wire, cut back the shrink wrap where it attaches to the fuse, and pull out the wire (it already has a spade connector on it). The red wire is power for the relay module, the white wire is switched. Insert the red spade into the F22 slot towards the center of the fuse box (always +12V when the ignition is on). Insert the white spade into the F22 slot towards the outside of the fuse box (either +12V or 0V depending on position of relay).
Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems these instructions mean that you're running the exhaust flaps without a fuse in the circuit. Did you put an in-line fuse somewhere?

I just bought a used Mild2Wild on eBay for $20. I was hoping to tap power from fuse 7--the battery disconnect switch, which I assume is always powered. That way, the system will "remember" its setting rather than resetting to loud when the ignition is turned off (I hope).

Old 12-06-2011, 04:17 PM
1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !
just thought i'd chime in and say real quick, the M2W setup is proven to be safe and effective. We use it on our Corvette Z06's, id say 1/5 members have them, so its a BIG mod to have...

Old 12-06-2011, 05:09 PM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Racer_X
Pulling the fuse is fine. It doesn't cause any problems or throw fault codes.
This is not all true. Correct it does not seem to cause any problems, but it does throw fault codes. The engine light will not come on or cause smog cert. failures, but codes are stored.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:12 PM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Here's the same remote control switch from Amazon for about 18-bucks. All the wires are the same and all you need is an inline fuse for the +12V wire.

Amazon Amazon

Old 12-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
I also ordered one (not yet installed) but, due to the ridiculous restrictions on Amazon.com's site that prohibits the shipment of most electronics into Canada (even if not offered on Amazon.ca) I had to hunt around elsewhere. Found a similar unit on eBay for around $13 ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOGISYS-RM02...#ht_4011wt_963

... for e.g.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:36 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Yup that will work just fine, and for under $20 bucks with shipping. That's the same one I installed. Remember to install an inline fuse in the red-wire.

It should be noted that Fuse 22 is a 20-amp fuse, but the circuit draws less than 10-amps, so that 15amp switch works fine. Also it should be noted that if you connect the red wire (+12V) into the fuse holder (and it should be done with a small spade connector in the slot toward the center of the fuse box) then the 12V will go off when the ignition is turned off. That means that the switch will automatically "open" and the exhaust will return to "Loud" when you re-start the car. My recommendation is to not connect the Red Wire to an "unswitched" +12V, because that will keep voltage applied to the switch all the time and be a continuous drain on the battery.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fuse 22 remote switch