Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage Premium Audio iPod/USB/Bluetooth Integration Project

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:25 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Vantage Premium Audio iPod/USB/Bluetooth Integration Project

One of the things that surprised me about my Aston Martin Vantage was the lack of any aftermarket kits that would allow me to connect my iPod to the awesome quality Premium Audio system. Sure, the system has an in-dash 6-CD changer, but that is so 1995. Without the ability to play MP3 files, even six CDs isn't a very large amount of songs before you need to swap out a disc. Aston Martin sells an iPod integration kit that can be installed by the dealer, but reports on the forums claim it costs over $1,500US to get the system installed. I was looking for a solution that I could install myself for a bit less money.

The Vantage uses MOST (Media Oriented System Transport) which utilizes fiber optic cables to carry entertainment system information throughout the car. This means that you can't simply patch in an analog audio cable into the stereo and start playing music. I thought about using a direct-feed RF modulator, but reviews of many of those products mention that the audio quality is not too good.

After doing an exhaustive search on the Interwebs, I came across a company named Dension (from Hungary) that makes a kit to interface to cars equipped with MOST-based audio systems such as Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, Saab, and Volvo. There was no application information for the Vantage and very little in terms of documentation, installation, or instruction manuals. What little information I got was based off a few Youtube videos and a couple of emails I sent to the company's pre-sales support department. Even with this little information, I decided to take a chance and get one of their interfaces and see if I could get it to work.

I had already removed the facia panel over the center console to get it refinished in Piano Black, so I was able to peek inside the center stack and notice that the infotainment display and the fiber optic cables that feed it are very accessible. So I concocted a temporary cable to take power from the 12V outlet in the center console and hooked up the unit per the diagrams. The interface has a series of DIP switches on one side that need to be set up for each particular application. Seeing as there is a large Volvo sticker on the top of the CD changer (visible with the facia removed), I figured that was a good guess for which setting to choose.

The unit comes with a remote switch that has a pair of analog RCA inputs. The switch is used to bypass the unit so that the dealer's diagnostic equipment doesn't detect it and cause any errors. It also has inputs for a USB storage device (thumb drive) and an iPod with Dock Connector. I also purchased the optional Bluetooth Adapter which allows you to stream music wirelessly as well as make phone calls through the in-car audio in some vehicles.

After playing with the settings for a few minutes, I was able to see the interface's menu's on the infotainment display. Once I saw this, I was able to configure the unit to play audio from all the sources and have it come out the car's speakers. It sounded fantastic. To say that the interface is cumbersome to operate would be a MAJOR understatement. It is not easy and, in fact, it might be better to attempt while pulled off on the side of the road, or by a passenger to avoid you being distracted while driving. Once it is set up, however, you can see the artists or song names on the display, and you can use the dash controls to play the next or previous song in the album or playlist.

Once I was convinced the system was going to work priorly, it was time to make the installation and conceal the unit and cables. My car is spec'd without Navigation, so there is a big cavity where the display would normally go that was more than sufficient for the interface and the Bluetooth adapter. Some of my goals with this installation were to make it as invisible as possible as well as making it fully reversible if necessary. Rather than drilling any holes to mount the unit, I chose to use some industrial grade velcro type fasteners to adhere the components to the surface. You can see the location I chose under the facia in the attached pictures. Most people choose to install iPod kits with the iPod itself in the glove compartment. However, the storage space in the Vantage's glove compartment is tiny and mostly occupied by the owner's manual. My idea was to simply have the USB stick and iPod tucked away under neath the rear shelf compartment. That way it is out of plain sight, yet easily accessible without having to make any permanent installation. To do this, I had to disassemble the center console and route the cables for the USB and iPod Dock through it. I also tapped off the back of the ashtray's 12V power plug socket and routed the cables to power the unit.

Some additional notes:

- I am able to place calls from my phone and have them play via Bluetooth through the car's audio system and the supplied microphone, but receiving calls doesn't seem to work as well.
- I don't know of my car already has the phone's microphone pre-installed even though I don't have the built-in phone option. It would be nice to use the car's microphone instead for a truly professional solution.
- Playing the iPhone 4 through Bluetooth is nice, since you don't even have to remove it from your pocket. However, even though the audio quality is very good, it is noticeably better when the phone is plugged into the Dock connector. Also, you don't get song names or other info on the car's display when you use the Bluetooth Audio.
- When you plug in the iPhone 4 a message pops up on the phone's screen stating that it is not compatible with this device, but once you click OK, it works perfectly and charges it while you play!
- The Dension interface cost me about $450US and the Bluetooth adapter was another $80. I also bought a set of longer cables so I could locate the ipod under the rear shelf, far away from the interface. Overall, my savings were substantial compared to the Aston Martin iPod Integration Kit.
- Installation took me 2 evenings.
- If you are not handy with tools, electronics, or working on car interiors, I would definitely not recommend that you attempt this yourself.
- Please feel free to ask questions.

Attached Images      
Old 06-11-2011, 03:10 AM
spainconection is on a distinguished road
felicidades karl
congratulations karl.
The DIP settings for Aston exactly the same as the the Volvo
So please set it to 2,4 ON and the rests are OFF.
the Gateway along the install type 2A
http://www.dension.com/sites/default...tallguide1.pdf
is ok frank??.

another question where you put the aux jack. that accompanies the on / off and reset the Dension.

where you put the USB jack,
explains to remove the gearshift ****

Last edited by spainconection; 06-11-2011 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:24 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spainconection
felicidades frank.
congratulations frank.
The DIP settings for Aston exactly the same as the the Volvo
So please set it to 2,4 ON and the rests are OFF.
the Gateway along the install type 2A
http://www.dension.com/sites/default...tallguide1.pdf
is ok frank??.

another question where you put the aux jack. that accompanies the on / off and reset the Dension.

where you put the USB jack,
explains to remove the gearshift ****
"Frank"? Who is "Frank"?

The Dension pre-sales support also suggested to use Configuration Type 2A, but that is not what I wound up using and I don't know if it would have worked. I used something similar to Configuration Type 1, but instead of connecting to the CD Changer, I connected to the back of the display unit. This way I did not have to remove the entire radio panel to get access to the back of the changer. The back of the display unit is easily accessible from above, the CD Changer is not. For the switches, I used the Volvo settings in Configuration Type 2B (1,4,6), not the one you suggested.

I located the aux and remote switch in the passenger footwell near the upper back.

I did not bother to remove the gearshift ****. I simply lifted the panel and laid it on its side as seen in the picture.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:17 AM
spainconection is on a distinguished road
excuse the name Frank, has been a grammatical lapses.
well then you all assembled once recommended to install this?

you who have been with cables, leather and plastic parts etc is feasible to move the Dension cable to the ashtray??

as I read you to pull the two cables that go to the display and put them to the Dension and there's has moved into the display is well again??
Greetings.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:03 AM
Originally Posted by spainconection
excuse the name Frank, has been a grammatical lapses.
well then you all assembled once recommended to install this?

you who have been with cables, leather and plastic parts etc is feasible to move the Dension cable to the ashtray??

as I read you to pull the two cables that go to the display and put them to the Dension and there's has moved into the display is well again??
Greetings.
I'm not sure I follow exactly what you are asking. I routed the cables for USB, iPod Dock and Power between the two vents, alongside the right of the stereo panel, down the side of the center console and in through a corner into the lower console by the right side of the shifter. The power connected to the ashtray outlet because the interface unit needs a constant power supply that is not switched by the ignition. The USB and dock cables continued further back under the armrest and into the area under the rear shelf.

The two fiber optic cables going to the connector that plugs into the back of the display unit need to be separated. The Output side goes to the Dension and from there back to where the cable was originally connected. The display's Input cable remains connected as before. Just use Diagram 1C as a reference.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:05 AM
droffsite will become famous soon enough
Thank you for the writeup! Just ordered one for myself.

One question for you: how did you remove the center console? I've watched the DB9 video, then took a look at my car, and I'm not sure it's the same.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by droffsite
Thank you for the writeup! Just ordered one for myself.

One question for you: how did you remove the center console? I've watched the DB9 video, then took a look at my car, and I'm not sure it's the same.
Look at my thread on the Piano Black Facia to see the tools I used to remove the waterfall facia. The lower center console is removed by first removing the rear parcel shelf and the alloy trim piece that goes across. The rest is just like the DB9 video.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:37 PM
bigken620 is on a distinguished road
Thank you for the write up! For those of us that have nav, do you think the Denison unit will still fit?

Old 06-14-2011, 11:02 PM
sgt d is on a distinguished road
^^good question and honestly if it would not effect any other electronics in the car i would be willing to remove mine..lol..

good write up and thanks for sharing, i am sure someone at aston martin is reading this too and saying, "damn it, they figured it out!"

Old 06-14-2011, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by bigken620
Thank you for the write up! For those of us that have nav, do you think the Denison unit will still fit?
Someone else asked me that before. I'm not sure, but I guess you could fit it under the vents above the display unit. It might be a tight fit. Connecting the fiber optic cables if you locate it there might be a concern though since their bend radius is rather large.

Also, I don't know if the bluetooth unit would fit there as well. Dension recommends that you mount the bluetooth adapter on plastic and high up to maximize its range.

Of course, there's no requirement that you mount the unit where or how I did. You could mount it under the glovebox for example—if you find what to attach it to. Be creative.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:30 AM
markesq has a spectacular aura aboutmarkesq has a spectacular aura about
Nice find!

Old 06-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by markesq
Nice find!
Apparently, not nice enough to bump my reputation score.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:17 PM
brumma has a spectacular aura aboutbrumma has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by karlfranz
I think it may have actually lowered it!

Just kidding!

Old 06-16-2011, 11:39 AM
markesq has a spectacular aura aboutmarkesq has a spectacular aura about
Done!

Old 06-16-2011, 03:32 PM
alevine has a spectacular aura aboutalevine has a spectacular aura about
What is the reputation score anyways? I assume those are the blue squares on the upper right side of each post you are referring to.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Vantage Premium Audio iPod/USB/Bluetooth Integration Project