Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage Premium Audio iPod/USB/Bluetooth Integration Project

Old 12-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Banned
ZTEC is on a distinguished road
Nice Write up Karl! Next time you are in Orlando stop by the dealership. I would love to check this out...

Old 04-12-2012, 08:36 PM
sonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the rough
Karl, since the bluetooth quality is low and therefore just use the cord to connect the iPhone, would you now recommend a lower cost Dension product, which doesn't include bluetooth?
http://www.dension.com/car-multimedi...hone-usb-auxin

Last edited by sonnyd; 04-12-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:51 PM
Koooms is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sonnyd
Karl, since the bluetooth quality is low and therefore just use the cord to connect the iPhone, would you now recommend a lower cost Dension product, which doesn't include bluetooth?
bump... im wondering the same thing ....

Old 06-25-2012, 10:50 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
The Gateway 500 does not come with Bluetooth built-in. It is an optional module that you buy separately, but without it, you wouldn't be able to use your phone to make calls throught the stereo.

I mostly use a USB thumb drive as my music source now, but still like the option to hook up my iPod Classic via the dock connector. I find using the iPod UI mode to be the easiest way to get to a specific song, album or artist quickly. Using the dash controls is way too slow.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:57 AM
sonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the rough
Karl, when using the thumb drive, do you find the dash controls to be slow?
Also, when using your thumb drive, can it play random tracks?
Thank you very much for helping us out with this.

Dension has changed their lineup slightly. It looks like the Gateway 300_CAN will work if you want text capability, but don't need bluetooth:

http://shop.dension.com/en/gateway_300_can_(with_text_capability)/#photos

Oddly, this item isn't listed on their list of multimedia adapters:

I don't know if it's a new offering or it's on the way out. Listed at 209€. But it is on this page:
http://shop.dension.com/?action=prod...&mcid=1&cid=28

Old 06-26-2012, 06:14 AM
Originally Posted by sonnyd
Karl, when using the thumb drive, do you find the dash controls to be slow?
Also, when using your thumb drive, can it play random tracks?
Thank you very much for helping us out with this.

Dension has changed their lineup slightly. It looks like the Gateway 300_CAN will work if you want text capability, but don't need bluetooth:

http://shop.dension.com/en/gateway_300_can_(with_text_capability)/#photos

Oddly, this item isn't listed on their list of multimedia adapters:

I don't know if it's a new offering or it's on the way out. Listed at 209€. But it is on this page:
http://shop.dension.com/?action=prod...&mcid=1&cid=28
It seems to only show the DB9 as an option when you check out on the website for that model.... odd?

Old 06-26-2012, 09:01 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
I don't know if the Gateway 300 supports M.O.S.T. So it might not work on the Aston.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by karlfranz
I don't know if the Gateway 300 supports M.O.S.T. So it might not work on the Aston.

I got a quote to have the gateway 500 installed for $300. is that reasonable? they said 3-4 hours install time.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:27 AM
I have no idea if a professional installer's quote is reasonable. Part of the fun was installing it myself in my car. It took me about 3-4 hours to install mine and I'm not a professional. Make sure you trust the installer, though. I've heard horror stories of some installers that wind up breaking things on cars they're not familiar with.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:33 AM
vonFerro is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Koooms
I got a quote to have the gateway 500 installed for $300. is that reasonable? they said 3-4 hours install time.
Mine was installed for $895 CDN with the Bluetooth adaptor, mounted the connector station (ipod, usb, RCA) in the glove compartment, works well.

I haven't found the controls easy to use at all, and it took a month to figure out hwo to navigate the setup menu (was provided to me to use the Gateway UI for song selection vs iPod, Highly recommend iPod, can still use gateway to control, if its set to gateway you're locked out of the phone's media selection capability). For example I need to hold down the Next button and let it sit on the menu item before it decides to activate that selection, not as described in the manual.

I've given up on the bluetooth however. It doesn't auto connect (rather it starts auto connecting a few times then a few days later stops) and half the calls I receive have no audio.

I'm half interested in gathering the parts and trying to install the OEM bluetooth into the car. Don't know if anyone's done that yet. Sure would be nice to use the controls on the center console...

Last edited by vonFerro; 08-14-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by vonFerro
Mine was installed for $895 CDN with the Bluetooth adaptor, mounted the connector station (ipod, usb, RCA) in the glove compartment, works well.

I haven't found the controls easy to use at all, and it took a month to figure out hwo to navigate the setup menu (was provided to me to use the Gateway UI for song selection vs iPod, Highly recommend iPod, can still use gateway to control, if its set to gateway you're locked out of the phone's media selection capability). For example I need to hold down the Next button and let it sit on the menu item before it decides to activate that selection, not as described in the manual.

I've given up on the bluetooth however. It doesn't auto connect (rather it starts auto connecting a few times then a few days later stops) and half the calls I receive have no audio.

I'm half interested in gathering the parts and trying to install the OEM bluetooth into the car. Don't know if anyone's done that yet. Sure would be nice to use the controls on the center console...
So do you regret having it done? I'm sure its still worth it and better than using CDs?

Who installed it for you? did they do a good job? I'm in toronto too.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:06 AM
vonFerro is on a distinguished road
Nope, no regrets. Really wasn't any options. The unit is full featured but the reality is there's only a few sets of features one may find practical (for me, only using dash controls for track switching and ff/rw and iPod use generally)

At $80 even the BT module despite it's crappiness was better than nothing. When it works at least you can intentionally make that conference call or stream audio. When it doesn't auto connect it's a matter of switching to it in the settings menu (CD 6 opt 2 item 5) and it will connect. It's just not seamless or reliable for constant use but i barely talk and drive anyway. Too many close calls.

Andrew over at ExotiCARe (.ca) did my install. Good guy, has a small shop in Downsview park, does a ton of exotics everything from electronics to custom upholstery, custom sound systems (did one or two of my dealer's Lambos) etc. His team has installed this on a few Astons and they know them inside and out in general. His parts order came with 48 hrs. It's definitely a worthy upgrade. Firmware is upgradeable, I think the latest is from 2011, gotta check the site.

Throw it on a USB key and insert it and it self updates. I'm hoping enough of us can make a fuss that they'll enhance the firmware to be a little more Aston friendly.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:35 PM
yawwn is on a distinguished road
Good information here.
I know it's been a few years since the last post. Does anyone have any new information now that there have been updates to the iPhone (such as Lightning connector)? For those of you who now have the iPhone 5 or 5S, do you use the converter adapter, or is there some other better method for the interface?
Have any firmware updates improved the way the gateway interface works?

Old 05-06-2014, 02:09 PM
I use the lightning adapter now with my iPhone 5. Works fine. There is no firmware update though. Because of this, I prefer to select tracks from the phone rather than the cumbersome Dension interface.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:54 PM
yawwn is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the response karlfranz.
I was looking into doing the Denison interface for my Cayenne which has the MOST system. I think it was more like $1k, so this system is a great value at half the price.
I find myself using the streaming iTunes Radio or Pandora more than my music on my phone. I know the sound quality is not nearly as good, but it sure is convenient to have it play the multitude of songs without taking up valuable memory space on my phone. I suppose one can't use the controls on the gateway to fast-forward songs when using Pandora, iTunes Radio, Spotify, or Grooveshark?

Last edited by yawwn; 05-06-2014 at 03:01 PM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Vantage Premium Audio iPod/USB/Bluetooth Integration Project