Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Stuck

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Dr. G has a spectacular aura aboutDr. G has a spectacular aura about
Stuck

Well, I'm stuck in a parking lot with the S. Pulled behind someone, went to pull off and the cutch wouldn't engage. Car stalled and I got a gearbox fault message. Pushed it into a spot and after 30 minutes it finally started but I can't get it in gear - only neutral. 2 hour wait for roadside assistance. Car only has 203 miles on the odo.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:34 PM
Shut it down to see if a restart was possible and there's a knocking sound coming from the back of the car with the ignition off. Car started again but can't select any gear.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:09 PM
11CayenneS will become famous soon enough
Did you notice anything regarding the transmission leading up to this issue?

Old 11-19-2011, 06:43 PM
Today when I was driving I dropped into neutral at a light. Tried to engage first with the paddles but it didn't engage. Hit the D button and it was fine.

The car started now and I can select gears but the clutch doesn't engage at all.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Well, the car is being towed to the dealer. I noticed that there is a tick-tick-tick-whir sound repeatedly coming from the rear of the car with the engine off.

I had a similar problem with the car last week when I couldn't restart it after driving for a while. When it restarted last week there were no transmission issues.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:54 AM
cret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond repute
I think there's a clutch reset process for SportShift, not sure if that woks on your SS2.

1. A/C off 2. foot on brake 3. start car and wait for click (to make sure car is cold) 4. once the car is running, press the start button every 30 seconds or so for a few minutes.

Reference from https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...sengaging.html

Old 11-20-2011, 10:28 AM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
Well I hate to say it but it sounds like the clutch went. Not that's it's worn out of anything, but the splines on the clutch are more than likely stuck.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:33 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
After only 203 miles? Sorry to hear that....let us know what the dealer finds

Old 11-22-2011, 10:39 AM
11CayenneS will become famous soon enough
Any update?

Old 11-22-2011, 10:42 AM
Nothing definitive yet. The dealer couldn't replicate the problem and they sent the error codes to AML. Their best guess at this point is that the computer is seeing the clutch as closed even if it is in the open position.

This confuses me a bit as if that were the case the car should either (1) not start or (2) have an error when it does start. These things are happening, but I would think one or the other, not alternating between the two.

Hopefully I'll have more information later in the day.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:29 PM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
After I re-read your first post its an S. I guessing a issue with the gear position sensor on top of the transmission. Something with the pickup on the seletor shaft. Let's see.......

Old 11-23-2011, 12:38 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr. G
Nothing definitive yet. The dealer couldn't replicate the problem and they sent the error codes to AML. Their best guess at this point is that the computer is seeing the clutch as closed even if it is in the open position.

This confuses me a bit as if that were the case the car should either (1) not start or (2) have an error when it does start. These things are happening, but I would think one or the other, not alternating between the two.

Hopefully I'll have more information later in the day.
They couldn't simulate the concern?? You mean the car drives fine now for them?? ..I'm curious of this one..

Old 11-23-2011, 12:54 PM
They can't replicate it, no.

The first time I couldn't restart it it was after running it for a while. The second set of problems also came after driving for a while. The error codes were there and they sent them to Aston and they recommended a clutch reset and to clear out the TCU. They did road test the car for a while after the TCU reset and said that they don't see any more error codes.

I just got a call from the service manager and he said they finally heard the thumping sound from the rear of the car but they think it's the exhaust and not the transmission. Manager said it's possible that the baffle isn't opening and that could be causing excessive backpresure which could be causing some of the problem. If that's the case should I be concerned that the engine could have suffered damage?

Old 11-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr. G
They can't replicate it, no.

The first time I couldn't restart it it was after running it for a while. The second set of problems also came after driving for a while. The error codes were there and they sent them to Aston and they recommended a clutch reset and to clear out the TCU. They did road test the car for a while after the TCU reset and said that they don't see any more error codes.

I just got a call from the service manager and he said they finally heard the thumping sound from the rear of the car but they think it's the exhaust and not the transmission. Manager said it's possible that the baffle isn't opening and that could be causing excessive backpresure which could be causing some of the problem. If that's the case should I be concerned that the engine could have suffered damage?
K I kind of understand the knocking noise..ticking you heard though hasn't been explained by the manager yet to me..with the car off you heard ticking from the rear??

Did you start to hear the knocking and the engine shut off?? That would sound to me as if the TCU set a code that forced the ECM to stop fuel..aka fuel cut off..during fuel cut off engine might of misfired and caused the rear muffler to knock on the rear subframe brace (very close clearance)..I don't think the exhaust baffles would cause a noise like this..but I'm not there to judge

Ticking noise could have been ASM trying to select 1st gear..

I know on the 6-speed ASM if misfire corrects are not stored, stuff like this can occur on "coming to a stop" engine can die, at certain speeds with misfire corrects not stored fuel is cut off on deceleration..if misfire corrects are not stored and the clutch adaptions are not learnt correctly..I can understand how the trans cannot shift correctly to select 1st on a take off from a dead stop...

The dealership can road test it all day..but you driving the car is the best road test to try and re-simulate the fault(you know how things happened)...if this happens again "knock on wood" ..get a video clip of the selection in dash and sound record of any noise heard..nothing great just use your smartphone ..I know things like this should be up to the client to try and diagnose..just that the more info on a unusual concern the better..and nothing is better than a visual with sound..these files can then be sent to engineering to better diagnose the concern and get to the bottom of things..none-the-less, Hope all is best now!!

Old 11-23-2011, 01:29 PM
Got a call from the service manager a few minutes ago. After they heard the knocking noise they took the car back out and had the exact same problem I did. Apparently they had a data recorder gathering data when it happened. So now I just need to wait and see what it all means and, hopefully, get it resolved.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stuck