Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

How do you take this panel out?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 11:56 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Hey Karl, that isa. Good point, but the problem is there is no other alcantara anywhere else in the interior so it would stick out, I would like to keep it OEM as possible. Thx for the suggestion though

Old 05-30-2014, 12:33 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
You have Alcantara on the roof panel and a-pillars but if it's light colored then it wouldn't work because the binnacle would cause an annoying reflection on the windshield. However, I have seen cars use black Alcantara for the binnacle and the two rectangular panels at the base of the windshield by the defroster vents and it looks pretty good. On some cars, the leather in those panels is peeling back as well, so doing all in the same material makes sense. Good luck.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:26 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Found a shop that is willing to reglue the stock pieces, they know how to soften the leather then rest retch back into position. Hopefully shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred bucks all said and done.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:37 PM
cret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond repute
brand new piece should cost a bit under 300 from dealer

Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
Found a shop that is willing to reglue the stock pieces, they know how to soften the leather then rest retch back into position. Hopefully shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred bucks all said and done.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:13 AM
tko211 is a jewel in the roughtko211 is a jewel in the roughtko211 is a jewel in the rough
This thread and the step by step pics likely saved my life last night as I started to tear into my air bag cover and found it would not come up easily. I had no idea I would need to take a part so may pieces to replace it. Glad the airbag didn't go off in my face as I was trying to pry it up incorrectly!

My new dash panels are now in place and I am very happy to have such good people post very useful info here!

Old 01-16-2016, 11:13 AM
DB9 Rebuilder is on a distinguished road
Nice tool that will help

Originally Posted by AMFixer
Panel Removal:
1: Remove glove box surround, glove box open switch is in this panel. It just pops out, no screws attach this. Start from the bottom pulling out from dash. Being careful of the switch once its out, the wires are short. (Glove Box Image)
2:Remove Glove box. There are screws at the bottom (3 or 2), either a torx or phillips screw head (Glove Box Image). They go into a metal bracket. Then then are 3 or 4 screws that hold in the plastic piece at the dash, phillips screws. Be very careful here, once the glove box is out there is a cable that attaches on the side. Do not disconnect this, as its a pain to get back on or you can break the clip realy easy. Just let the glove box hang, it wont hurt it. (Glove Box 2 Image)
4. Airbag cover: Once the glove box is out. Look up under the dash there is a metal bracket with 3 8mm head bolts(Green Arrow). Remove these watch which way the metal braket comes out (Blue Arrow). When going back together make these tight. Then the airbag cover has clips that pop out. Be careful here and not break the clips. (Airbag 2 Image)
Also here is where the cabin filters are. There is a white panel that pops off, then the two filters are in there (Red Arrow). (Glove Box 2 Image)
5. Once the airbag cover is out you can remove the 2 screws for thr side air vent. It pops out. (Trim Image red Arrows)
6. Then the four screw that hold the upper panel in. It also has some clips like the airbag cover, so be carful when removing it. (Trim Image Green Lines)
If anyone has questions let me know.
Same process for DB9, DBS too.
Thanks for the extra help to easily remove the panel. To easily restretch the leather. Apply leather condition( I used Lexol) to both the interior and exterior of the panel, just enough to wet the area to be stretched( you may have to peel back the white fabric from the interior side to expose the raw leather). Careful not to wet the glue able area's! Spend the money and buy a hand held aluminum bender that is produced for aluminum trim on homes. This is available at Home Depot or Lowes. It will allow you to pull 4" of leather at one time and will assist in not damaging the edge as you pull. I did this on my DB9 and was able to reinstall using contact cement within 30 min from removal to reinstall.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:14 AM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
It seems pretty common that the metal clips that hold these panels in place tend to fall off when removing the panels (especially if the panels are pried out at the wrong angle). Unfortunately, once they fall into the sub-panels of the dash, you'll likely never see them again. Any ideas for replacement of the metal clips? And are these just clipped onto the plastic tabs or do they use glue?

Old 12-05-2016, 07:36 AM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
The metal clips are clipped onto the plastic tabs. Not sure if you can order that specifically, if all else fails just buy a salvaged panel from ebay or place that parts out crashed cars, and use the clips from those.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:54 PM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
has anyone just pulled the center panel out, that surrounds the nav screen by pulling on the sides firmly. the tech at the dealer said thats how they do it. i need to replace those pesky plastic gears for the NAV motor set up. (no more automatic pop up)

Old 04-11-2017, 05:42 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
Yep, jump to 4:18 in this video:

Old 02-16-2018, 07:55 PM
Graze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to all
thanks all for this thread

just dismantled my dash on both sides re stretched & glued the two long panels below the windscreen & refitted - about 2 hours and a big improvement - amazing how much the leather shrinks - about 10mm along the long edge on the passenger side & a bit less on the drivers side

so good to be able to do some work on the car & have the guidance of others who have done it

Graze

Old 02-17-2018, 10:08 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Same thing when I bought my 2015 V12S - fortunately fixed under warranty