Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Buzz/Rattle in Premium Audio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Dr. G has a spectacular aura aboutDr. G has a spectacular aura about
Buzz/Rattle in Premium Audio

My car is currently in for service regarding the audio system. There is a buzzing/rattling at certain frequencies - it sounds mechanical rather than within the system itself. I notice it on talk radio stations as well as with music. Using a test tone CD I can isolate it to roughly 100-200 Hz. I gave the service department the CD and explained what was happening.

They basically told me that they can hear it using the test CD but it also happens in other Vantages when they try the CD in another car. As of now, they said that if they turn the subwoofer down (it is set to +1) they "think it goes away" If they keep the volume under around 50% or so. As an audiophile this seems a bit hard for me to accept as an answer. I have the system set up to sound balanced and relatively neutral. They said they will keep working on trying to figure out the problem.

Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:24 PM
eelton is on a distinguished road
Mine does the same. It seems to be coming from the passenger door. I notice it the most with male announcer voices on NPR.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:02 PM
macksamus will become famous soon enough
I noticed the same sort of noise coming from the driver's side door. My local AM dealer installed some insulating foam and also tightened a loose screw that was holding a speaker in place. Haven't noticed the noise since.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:08 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
A couple of months ago my dealer was replacing my door locks under warranty and my passenger window exploded and needed to be replaced. When I got the car back, I noticed that I was getting a buzzing sound from the stereo on certain frequencies coming from the passenger door. I took the door panel off and a small piece of window glass fell out. Once I put the panel back on, the buzzing had gone away, so I figured that was the cause of the problem and it was now fixed. However, in the past couple of weeks I have heard the buzzing sound again while playing certain songs. I'd be curious to know what your dealer learns in attempting to resolve this issue.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:52 PM
ptaylor_9849 is on a distinguished road
Dr G, sorry to hear about more troubles with your car. I sold my Vantage yesterday after only 8 months of ownership. I would have been willing to put up with all the nit picking problems if the car was a real performer. I'm no performance junkie but step on the gas of a V8V and...ahh...well... let's be kind and say it's a pretty car to look at and leave it at that.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:20 PM
facialcrunch is on a distinguished road
Wow I have the same thing in the driver's side door of my 2009 V8V and never would have even thought of posting it here. I just figured I had a speaker that was going bad. There must be something more to it though if multiple other people are having the same issue. I'm very interested to see if an answer to this comes about...

Old 12-28-2011, 07:34 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
In my past I've seen 3 different concerns all with front door speaker area buzzing at different tones..all would require removal of inner door panel and all parts being operational... no faulty parts(aka blown speaker, broken panels, trimming..etc) If faulty parts are present, replace parts and proceed with diagnosics

1. With panel removed, on back side you might notice label stickers dangling near the speaker(they will have part numbers on them for the door casing)..the loose piece of the label omits a buzzing when higher levels of bass ..remove the dangling labels..refit panels and test

2. I've seen the speaker grill vibrate with the door panel leather, remove speaker grill and apply thin felt tape to all contact points, no felt tape will be visual and noise will be decreased..refit and test

3. If noise from speaker grill is still heard slightly and all contact points have been insulated, remove door panel(yes I know, wtf AGAIN!! ..hehe welcome to by job.. ..Look at the speaker, you will see a foam surround, at the mid of the lowest section, if you notice the imprint of the panel secure screw near bottom of speaker grill(phillips) in the foam..remove and yes disregard screw, in replace of screw on both sides of panel apply thin felt tape..vibration from speaker was being tranfered to speaker grill and rattling..while in area, make sure all screws are secured..

I cannot guarantee these will solve your concerns that can be present, just giving a helping hand on what I have noticed over the years..Hope this helps

Old 03-28-2013, 11:50 PM
V12Vin is on a distinguished road
Did some buzz/rattle investigation on my premium audio. Here are some pictures that irish07 was referring to.

Per point #2 of his post. The backside of the grille, which is not shown cos of the foam. I added some neoprene tape all around.

Per point #3 of his post. Foam surrounds, torx-head screws exposed.

Removing the panel wasn't as bad as I thought!

Attached Images    
Old 06-10-2014, 03:01 PM
hooneybee is on a distinguished road
I have 2013 Vantage S and the same issue. I think mine was coming from both the front and rear speakers. The dealer put some insulating foam but the buzz and rattle persisted. I took the rear speaker grill out and realized that the grill has a plastic frame that is held by the grill itself. Small tabs on the grill is bent inward to hold the plastic frame. At a certain frequency, especially during a speech, the plastic vibrates again the metal grill. I used a thin metal wire to fasten the plastic frame to the grill and the vibration, the buzz, disappeared. We all expect such a pricey car to have better craftsmanship and the dealer to know how to pinpoint the problems, but apparently we have overestimated Aston Martin. I'm changing the speakers and adding Dynamat today because the treble is not well defined.

Last edited by hooneybee; 06-10-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:51 PM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ptaylor_9849
Dr G, sorry to hear about more troubles with your car. I sold my Vantage yesterday after only 8 months of ownership. I would have been willing to put up with all the nit picking problems if the car was a real performer. I'm no performance junkie but step on the gas of a V8V and...ahh...well... let's be kind and say it's a pretty car to look at and leave it at that.
baiting

Old 06-10-2014, 04:54 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
^^^^Maybe. But that message was almost 3 years ago and the guy hasn't posted on the forum since early 2012, so no worries.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:34 PM
Baiting? For what? Im new to this forum. Im just trying share information.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:03 PM
He wasn't referring to you.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:25 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
My "Passenger side door speaker buzzes at certain frequencies" and I'd like to correct it. Would someone please tell me how to remove the door panel?
Thanks

Old 06-12-2014, 02:17 PM
I would not take the panel off myself. I have 2013 Vantage S with same issue. Just came back from the local car audio shop. The audio installer told me that speakers are just screwed onto the door instead of being mounted in an enclosed boxes. It causes the sound to resonate through out the door panel causing the rattling. My car was at the dealer for this issue before and they just put some insulating tapes. Oh, also the speakers were paper cone speakers, made in China. Very cheap and low quality, I am being told. I'm getting better speakers and the boxes to enclose the speakers. I hope this information helps. Good day, now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Buzz/Rattle in Premium Audio