Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8 lowering springs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 11:35 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
^^^ LOL

Last edited by karlfranz; 07-30-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:01 PM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by sonnyd
Can't right now, I'm on a trip. I can give you the lip measurement next week. PM me Sunday if I've not posted.

I asked the shop to measure pre/post drop, and they did. They measured from the top of the wheel arch to the tire, and while the exact measurements are away from me at the moment, I recall seeing the average drop to be in the 5/8"-3/4" range.
thanks Sonny, enjoy your travels!
With the lip installed, do you have trouble with driveways and exits from public places like gas stations? In my GT3, its always an issue and often scrapes, even with care. In that car its not much of an issue as the lip is soft plastic and can be replaced. When the lip is cf its another story.
I do like how the spacers fill out the wheels wells more completely. thanks, John

Old 07-30-2012, 02:53 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
The problem with this, is that measuring the results for these things is less than scientific, and difficult to do accurately. We measured our original V8V Coupe at 1.25" drop on our spec H&R Spring, but I have had people measure it on their cars and tell me it is 1" for example. I have also had people report the results from the standard H&R Spring at anywhere from 1/2" to a full 1"....

You should all buy coilovers they are fully adjustable

Old 07-30-2012, 03:50 PM
sonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by riverflyer
thanks Sonny, enjoy your travels!
With the lip installed, do you have trouble with driveways and exits from public places like gas stations?
It'a rare, but it does happen. I'm happy with the frequency of occurence, I suppose. Parking garage entrance/exits comes to mind, but never a filling station. The driveway/curb junction seems to be the most habitual offender.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:32 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Stuart,

How much is a set of adjustable coil overs? Also, should you get the car realigned each time you adjust the height?

Old 07-30-2012, 09:28 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Stuart,

How much is a set of adjustable coil overs? Also, should you get the car realigned each time you adjust the height?
The coilovers are $3695 (you can email me for 6speed pricing ) IMHO they are every bit as good as the AM Sportpack, if not better because of the adjustability, and a lot less expensive. Long-term you also have the advantage of a rebuildable unit for which all the components are available so it is a reasonable investment I think. From what I can tell with our car, which is probably right in the middle of the ride-height adjustment and about 1" and a bit lowered, I think you could even go all the way up to OEM ride height if you so desired.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:33 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Stuart,

Sorry, missed the second half of that. As far as realignment, yes and no. If you want to keep the suspension geometry (camber in particular) as close to OEM as possible, you should get a realignment. Some of us boy racers like the added camber you get from dropping the car so it is a personal choice. Will wear the inside edges of the tyres faster, rears especially.

On the flip side, I like the way the car handles without a realignment. I autocrossed it a little and the back end felt more planted, really had to try to get the back end out.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:41 PM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Stuart@RSC
The problem with this, is that measuring the results for these things is less than scientific, and difficult to do accurately. We measured our original V8V Coupe at 1.25" drop on our spec H&R Spring, but I have had people measure it on their cars and tell me it is 1" for example. I have also had people report the results from the standard H&R Spring at anywhere from 1/2" to a full 1"....

You should all buy coilovers they are fully adjustable
Stuart, thanks for clearing that up.

And Sonny, thanks for the feedback on driveways. Guess I will go for the drop and hope for the 1" result!!

Old 07-31-2012, 03:56 PM
911ist is on a distinguished road
Getting H&R springs and spacers installed on my V as we speak. I'll chime in after I get the car back and hope to further the confusion lol...

Old 08-01-2012, 10:08 AM
Korn58 is on a distinguished road
V12/vantage S

Originally Posted by sonnyd
last two.
Sonnyd,

I like the V12/vantage S sill's. Can I ask where you picked them up and around how much?

I almost did this about two years ago when one sill was damaged. I was talking with Aston Bits out of the UK.

Thanks.

P.S. Your car is looking great!

Old 08-01-2012, 03:33 PM
sonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the rough
Thanks, Korn.
I got the sills from Stuart @RSC. They may not be in their online catalog, but he was able to get me a pair, and quickly enough so that it could be shipped with my other goodies without delay. They're the genuine AM part, not a replica, if that matters to you. Price wasn't bad, but I can neither remember nor check at this moment. I do recall that I got a quote from my closest dealer, and Stuart's price was slightly better, and he cut me a deal on shipping.

Painting both cost me $260 at a reputable local body shop. Install requires little skill but much fiddling. I took photos, but am too lazy to post. Gimme a week or so.